WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the term - entry level - vague and irrationally decided upon.
Yet so may rely on it as if it actually means something.

So how about its non-existent counterpart?: Exit Level.
And why should it not exist?

And since the term is used most often with regard to "high end," what would qualify as "exit level" watches for "run of the mill" grade? Seiko SARB? Steinhart?

Note: I think High End is a bit like p*rn - you can't define it, but you know it when you see it.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
entry level = for noobs only

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Exit level would be the watches I still have when I shuffle off this mortal coil. Or, shuffle off to Buffalo, a distinctly brighter thought (at least there are chicken wings) ... sorry, I was distracted (I'm on a diet) ... they are the watches I will leave to my kids.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I think I'll take my horde with me...In ten thousand years they can uncover them and take them on tour around the galaxy...Stopping
at all the major planets.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Entry level = Tip of the iceberg. Just barely getting into a new tier of pricing or quality. For example, any watch costing $2K or just over that amount would be (in terms of pricing at least) Entry Level luxury.

Exit level = The absolute best of a price or quality tier of a product, without entering a new tier or just barely encroaching upon a new tier. For example, the "best" Victorinox watch one can buy is going to be just barely on the cusp of touching the entry level luxury tier, without entering it. It's the best of its class, but still not even a barely acceptable luxury watch.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, personally I don't like the term "entry level". I think it only makes sense when compared to other models by the same company, like a C class Benz is entry level, as opposed to an S class. Why I don't like the term is that I think it frequently implies "you'd buy the more expensive one, if you could only afford it". This may be the case with BMWs and MBs, but its not the case with all products. I tend to prefer "entry level" stuff, even when I can afford the pricier model, simply because I'm not a bells-and-wistles kinda guy. I prefer simple, refined quality.

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
"Entry level" is certainly a moving target, depending on the person's finances. I'd say that "entry level" watches are defined less by the price point, but more by (a) a price-to-value ratio, (b) flexibility (as "entry level" watches usually have to be worn for dress-ish and casual-ish occasions, and generally have to go with a wide variety of colors and fashion styles) and (c) (to a lesser degree) ubiquity, by which I mean is either available many places, so people can actually see and try on their "entry level" watch before buying it, and/or contains a common movement, so that it can be worked on by a variety of watchmakers. Hamilton, Tissot, Steinhart, Orient, Seiko, ... then TAG, Omega, Rolex could all be "entry level" watches.

"Exit level" to me could either be (a) the watch you'd be buried with if you're so inclined (exiting the world), (b) your grail, but at the uppermost price you'd ever consider buying a watch (exiting the watch buying experience).

Right now, for me, I think that's the Jaquet Droz Time Zone Cotes de Geneve Stainless, or the JLC Reverso Duo GMT (if I could find it when I wanted to buy it)

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I find the term - entry level - vague and irrationally decided upon.
Yet so may rely on it as if it actually means something.

So how about its non-existent counterpart?: Exit Level.
And why should it not exist?

And since the term is used most often with regard to "high end," what would qualify as "exit level" watches for "run of the mill" grade? Seiko SARB? Steinhart?

Note: I think High End is a bit like p*rn - you can't define it, but you know it when you see it.
I would say an "Exit Level" watch would be the acquisition of THE grail... the unobtainable... the watch that utterly quenches the desire for more watches.... The watch that was forged from elements of your very soul...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
With so many new watches out there and new ones constantly coming out each year, there's no such thing as the exit watch for most people. However, if I had to suddenly leave the whole watch thing on a high note today and leave with one watch, I would do it with a Zenith Striking Tenth.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Good point. Exit level = Entry level. Like pissing in your pants when you are a baby and when you're an old men.

From Pampers to Depend.

I hope I don't end up with an Invicta.

·
Banned
510 Posts
It's not about entering and exiting, it's about evolving. Some of us prefer the C class because its more nimble and fun to drive. Sometimes I prefer an affordable watch over a more expensive one because its more fun to wear. In my opinion, a highly evolved watch enthusiast is less impressed by the name and the price of a watch than he is by the design and the workmanship. After all, any rich person can buy an expensive watch. What's the big deal with that?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Exit Level = Patek Philippe, pure and simple. For some it may be a Calatrava, for others a Nautilus or a Perpetual Calendar Chronograph. Or anything upwards or in between, vintage or new.

ALS gets the nod of course from a WIS perspective, but for a collector Patek is usually the end game.

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Exit Level = Patek Philippe, pure and simple. For some it may be a Calatrava, for others a Nautilus or a Perpetual Calendar Chronograph. Or anything upwards or in between, vintage or new.

ALS gets the nod of course from a WIS perspective, but for a collector Patek is usually the end game.

Kindest Regards,
Portauto
Why do people have such a fixation with PP? Several independents like Dufour, Voutilainen or Journe are creating much more collectible and valuable watches?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Exit level watch = the watch purchase immediately antecedent to your partner summing the value of the dozen watches you purchased in the preceding 5 years, and announcing his/her permanent departure from your...um...life.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
the watch that utterly quenches the desire for more watches.... The watch that was forged from elements of your very soul...
Pretentious? Moi? Au contraire... ;)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I agree with many of the posts here that 'Entry Level' is a term often used to belittle people. I also think that the most expensive offering from any given manufacturer is rarely the most desirable, to me anyway. Do I want a Patek? Not really. I like the Calatrava, but I can think of watches I would want more at the price point. I find the Nautilus unattractive. I'm not fully up on Patek's relative pricing structure, but unless you have the MOST expensive Patek, there may be people thinking that you just have an 'entry level' one. I don't tend to concern myself with the opinions of such people. A good example is Sinn. The only watch they make that I can see myself owning is the cheapest. But it is nothing to do with cost. It is understated, a good size, nice clean dial. If it was the most expensive Sinn watch it would still be the same one that I would want. You can always make a watch more expensive by welding it to a gold bar.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts