WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm new to the whole watch collecting hobby! I'd like to buy a mechanical automatic skeleton watch, and have short listed the Epos Emotion 3336 and the Oris Artelier Skeleton. Whichever I end up buying I'll take with the metal bracelet not the leather one.

More Epos Emotion 3336 photos. Close up photo of the back. Unusual bracelet closure system.

Close up of the Oris watch face.

As I see it the pros for the Epos are:
  • The ETA 2892-A2 movement (Oris has SW 200)
  • Vintage mixed with modern style (Roman numerals and old style crown on a watch with that unusually decorated bracelet and bracelet closure system, and sharp silver two tone polished/brushed style)
The pros fo the Oris are:
  • The Oris brand name seems much more known/recognizable (as compared to Epos)
  • I like the dial with just markings (no numbers)
Which one do you suggest I go for, and why? Also do you suggest any alternatives?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Wow, tough choice! Both really nice watches. I sort of like the Epos because of the Roman numerals, having taken 6 years of Latin in school ;-)

Plus, I think the Epos name maybe not being as well known as Oris is a plus for me.

But not sure about that bracelet, it looks like it's designed with the hidden clasp so that when it is closed, it will look like a solid bracelet all the way around. That may be cool or not, can't tell.

Good luck - either way, post pics when you get one!

·
Registered
37,143 Posts
Tough choice indeed but I'm a fan of Oris so I'd get that one, and I'd keep the strap on it, classier look and seems more appropriate IMO. Good luck! :-!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I like the case of the Oris but the Epos seems to have more skeletonizing going on. The Oris will retain a higher percentage value wise IMHO, what are the costs of each? Although there is nothing wrong with the SW200 movement I would prefer the ETA.

·
Registered
40,810 Posts
:think: Not much of a contest, Epos. A Red rotor in a skeleton is downright
hokey. The Epos has some decoration, so a little more effort went into
it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
yep tough choice. i like the hands better on the epos but it doesnt seem to have lume (both dial & hands) if that's important to you. from what i've heard/read the sw200 movement is a modified eta 2824. just to note - sellita's are of swiss origin ([URL="http://www.finelifemedia.com/current.../ArticleID/212i'd"]http://www.finelifemedia.com/current.../ArticleID/212i'd[/URL])

i'd still go for the oris because of the markers only. + i prefer the 40 over the 37.5mm & the bracelet on the oris is nicer imo. pick the one that will make you smile when you put it on in the morning :-!
_

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
This is a hard choice especially since you actually havent seen either of them close-up an personal if you get what I mean, that way you could get the feel how each set on the wrist. Well my choice would probaly be the Oris because of the case and the stadium style inner ring plus the top it off resale ability (just being able to sale it much quicker) Now, on the other hand that Epos movement and bracelet is really nice also but I think you would probaly take awhile getting rid of it if you dis-like it after awhile.

Yes you have a big decision to make and good look like someone said make sure its the one that will make you smile when you put it on in the mornings or evenings ........................:)

·
Registered
561 Posts
My prerence would be the Oris, though I have a general issue with skeleton watches, which is visibility. It appears to have white infil on the hands which may have lume which could be a plus.
So often photos and images etc on web sites show gold or silver coloured or even highly reflective hands as grey or black, which they are not. When the actual watch is seen in reality, the hands are so difficult to read against the skeletonisation, that I find them really annoying.
I have sold on 3 skeleton watches for that very reason in the past and I now only have part skeletonised watches which do give that wonderful insight to the mechanics, but also are practical and can be read.

Whilst the styling of many skeletons can be intriguing, clarity is my absolute over-riding requirement - I mean you want to read the time - yes?

But as to your question if I had to make the choice - Oris.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Thats my concern with the Oris, which I have. I debate regularly whether to sell it. I think its beautiful, but teh hands are difficult to read. I can't just quickly glance at it because I can't detect the hands I have to stare at it for a second or two to focus on the hands in order to tell the time.

My prerence would be the Oris, though I have a general issue with skeleton watches, which is visibility. It appears to have white infil on the hands which may have lume which could be a plus.
So often photos and images etc on web sites show gold or silver coloured or even highly reflective hands as grey or black, which they are not. When the actual watch is seen in reality, the hands are so difficult to read against the skeletonisation, that I find them really annoying.
I have sold on 3 skeleton watches for that very reason in the past and I now only have part skeletonised watches which do give that wonderful insight to the mechanics, but also are practical and can be read.

Whilst the styling of many skeletons can be intriguing, clarity is my absolute over-riding requirement - I mean you want to read the time - yes?

But as to your question if I had to make the choice - Oris.

·
5,140 Posts
The original thread is pushing 2 years old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts