WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to remove the text/graphics on the strap/adapters like the ones in the pictures below? I tried rubbing the text/graphics with acetone, it didn't work. While the yellow dragon is the motif of a rare vintage and I wouldn't think of removing it, the "WR200M" and "PROTECTION" text on my DW6900S are rather bothersome and I'd rather do away with them. Is there a stronger solvent which can erase the paint without harming the strap/adaptor itself?

sample1.jpg

sample2.jpg

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
I'd be wary of using strong chemicals on the watch/strap in fear of damaging the finish. :think:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Has anyone tried to remove the text/graphics on the strap/adapters like the ones in the pictures below? I tried rubbing the text/graphics with acetone, it didn't work. While the yellow dragon is the motif of a rare vintage and I wouldn't think of removing it, the "WR200M" and "PROTECTION" text on my DW6900S are rather bothersome and I'd rather do away with them. Is there a stronger solvent which can erase the paint without harming the strap/adaptor itself?

View attachment 7099514

View attachment 7099530
Use a remover called Goof-Off. They sell it at most retail stores, but mainly in hardware stores. I used it specifically to removes the text on bands and bezels, but be careful with the goof off as it will soften the resin if over exposed for a long period of time. I use a Q-Tip and pour a little goof off inside a small shot glass that I no longer use. Also don't use goof off on hard plastics as it will melt with the goof off on it i.e. light button. Here's a pic of what it is

View attachment 7099514

View attachment 7099530

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
On a aq-810 I used very fine sanding paper. With very light presure, to prevent from thick rubbing lines. Came out real nice.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Agree with you. Acetone is pretty harmless for bezels but it doesn't remove the paint either. Anything else that might work?
harmless? doesnt remove paint? thats exactly what its made to do! haha. ive stripped clear coat to colour to bare beige resin with acetone. even on plain matte black resin itll take off that nice velvety finish, which isnt noticeable if you do the whole thing or have old resin but on newer stuff it leaves it blotchy where ever youve touched.
ive actually just taken the 200m and "protection" off a couple strap adapters, one took a bit of scrubbing after liberal application while the other one needed a good soak. i tabbed a small pieced of folded tissue then sat it on the text to soak in then scrubbed with a cotton tip.
as suggested above, strategic sanding is also an option or if you has a steady hand you could prob take a scalpel to it and shave the top layer off so the acetone can do its thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts