WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi watchseekers,

Last day i watched the movie Mission Impossible (1996) and i saw Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) wearing a bulky watch that i though was a G-Shock, so i did some research on the Internet and i found out that it was a DW-5300, but when i took a close look to the scene when he was doing some magic tricks with a disk, i notice that it has nothing to do with the DW-5300 but rather it's a DW-290T.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Re: Error Impossible !

What a travesty. Who do we speak to about this unspeakable error?

·
Banned
1,696 Posts

Great Eye!! The angled writing on the crystal edge is also visible. Thanks -Ronbo

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Cool discovery.|> I love the whole "watches in movies" thing but never noticed that myself. I'll have to order one now. Only $24.99 at Amazon!

·
Registered
371 Posts

I have that watch, It was my first Casio (Non G-Shock) and super tough.Mine looks really rough as I beat the heck outta that watch but it still runs perfect and I've had it since 1994 I believe.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Great catch. I wonder if it was just one guy who misidentified the watch and it just caught on or what. Can anyone translate the below image supposidly taken from a Japanese magazine?

This reminds me of something I read about Monopoly. Most people play by the rule that you must go around the board and pass GO before you can purchase property. The official rule printed with the game has always been that you may purchase any property you land on even with the first roll of the dice. It is speculated that one person made this rule up after someone they were playing landed on Boardwalk or Park Place on their first time around the board. Somehow it spread to become a "rule" used more often than the official rule that hasn't changed since 1933.

View attachment 375914

Attachments

·
Registered
7,352 Posts

Wow, good catch. Maybe there are two watches in the movie? Or is it this one the whole time? I realize it can be hard to tell from some scenes. I haven't seen that movie in ages.

·
Banned
1,696 Posts

LOL! Not looking for a refund here. I still LOVE mine and I am still looking for a green lettered version in similar mint condition. Cheers-Ronbo

·
Registered
190 Posts

Great catch. I wonder if it was just one guy who misidentified the watch and it just caught on or what. Can anyone translate the below image supposidly taken from a Japanese magazine?

View attachment 375914
It just talks about how Tom Cruise wears a G-Shock for his action film "Mission Impossible" and he wore a DW-5300. And then it taks about how the movie is available form Victor Video for Y2900.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Wow, good catch. Maybe there are two watches in the movie? Or is it this one the whole time? I realize it can be hard to tell from some scenes. I haven't seen that movie in ages.
I don't think so, i revised the movie again and Tom Cruise is wearing the same DW-290T watch in only two scenes; in the scene depicted in the photos above and when he was setting in a café with Jon Voight, in the CIA computer scene he's wearing a decibel counter. In the rest of the movie he doesn't wear any watch.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

I knew somebody who bought that same DW-290T, and it failed the wet test and got moisture in the watch, and I told them it still wasn't a G-Shock before it failed the moisture test too, and guess what, they finally bought a G-Shock too.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts

I knew somebody who bought that same DW-290T, and it failed the wet test and got moisture in the watch, and I told them it still wasn't a G-Shock before it failed the moisture test too, and guess what, they finally bought a G-Shock too.
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

So you're saying Casio claims water resistance their watches don't have but G-Shocks are still good? That's ridiculous. You don't even know if the watch was opened or not. The DW-290 is every bit as good as every other Casio for that matter. It just has no resin bezel which also means: no resin rot :-d:-!.
And it has quite some fans here.

Great eye for spotting the DW-290 in the movie - have to watch it again. I always took it for a fact that it was a DW-5300. But the pics certainly prove that it's a DW-290.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

...so, what about the decibel counter mentioned above? Is that a Caio Gadget watch or just an instrument? Sorry, it´s been years since i watched that movie...

·
Registered
450 Posts

Good spot DW290T is my holiday watch- love it.

Was watching Speed last night and love the G Shock shots.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,560 Posts

Very cool thread! I love those movies. Great eye for detail there from the op! I do like that non G he was really wearing. Fun stuff. :)

Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

Well, this is a G-Shock forum more, you must understand, right. :-d

·
Registered
13,980 Posts

Well, this is a G-Shock forum more, you must understand, right. :-d
Still no need to think G-Shocks are that much better than any other Casios. Better than other brands - sure ;-). But Casio in itself - all great watches :-d:-d:-d:-!:-!! And I'm certain my DW-290 will survive a bit of handwashing or swimming - probably even 200m of water pressure - but I'll never find that out :-d.

Greetings, Sedi :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts