WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my beloved PO (2201) purchased in early 2006 for service at the Omega boutique in NYC yesterday. The watch was no longer keeping time like it used to (-10 to -12) a day, plus it was a little worn from use, nicks on the case scratches on the case back and lugs from swapping straps and scratches on the bezel. I was told to expect a call back today for an estimate. Well I received the call, the full service will be $485 and then the associate went over the optional services, dial replacement ($285) crystal replacement ($285) bezel replacement ($285) and case replacement for $1000. She stated they noted damage to crystal AR coating (I removed it) the dial had some scratches that could be seen under a loupe and the case had tool marks from an unauthorized tool to the caseback. I opted for the full service and bezel replacement and was given an a time estimate of 9 weeks, she stated I would receive an update call in about 4 weeks. Comments? would any of you have opted for any of these other optional replacements?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad. I like how (it appears) they didn't pressure you into any of the additional services. Did they say they do everything on site? I know they have watchmakers there, but not sure of the exact process.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Wow - total for all services would be over $2,300? I'd sooner put that towards a mint used PO from the sales corner.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I would have just done the basic service as you seem to like to use your watch rather then baby it. Unless the bezel was totally trashed I probably would have kept this too. but the bezel would have been my 1st choice if i were you (which I am NOT because i am a BIG fan of the AR coating which has held up perfectly since 2007 under normal to slightly hard use.) Also-$485 is better then the normal $600 I hear about so I may use the boutique in nyc myself in a year, or 3.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Doesn't sound too bad. I like how (it appears) they didn't pressure you into any of the additional services. Did they say they do everything on site? I know they have watchmakers there, but not sure of the exact process.
No pressure at all, and all regular maintenance is done on site, restorations get shipped out. I was planning on selling it it, but it has to many good memories associated with it, and I have too many watches as it is (since my last post Speedy pro, new Exporer II 42mm). The bezel had some dings in it an a distracting scratch at the 11 o'clock position. I'll post pics when I receive it back, and any other updates from Omega.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i thought they refinish the case and bracelet as part of the service?
It is, but my case back and case by my the lugs was so scratched up you could barely read the serial#. I switch from the bracelet to omega rubber weekly and the rubber is difficult for me to get on. She said the nicks on my case, by the crown should come out nicely, there was really zero chance I was going to drop a grand on a new case. The experience so far has been very professional at the boutique service area (2nd floor) you could see watches being worked on by technicians wearing white coats. In fact when they were examining by beloved watch the person at the desk used gloves and had the watch laid out on a velvet tray.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wow - total for all services would be over $2,300? I'd sooner put that towards a mint used PO from the sales corner.
That's alot for a full service. It's like buying a new watch again. But that's still cool though if you have the money. Having the watch you have new again for the second time around isn't that bad.

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Their complete maintenance service comes with a two-year warranty, which certainly helps justify the $485 cost in my book. To protect themselves from unintended warranty repair work following the service, they would have required you to pay for any parts that would be required to ensure the integrity of the case or its proper function. Since you were given the option on all mentioned, they are clearly cosmetic only. With the bezel of the PO being so noticeable, I can see the rationalization of opting to replace that. Given the frequency with which you swap straps and the wear and tear you subject your watch to, you were probably wise not to pay to replace anything else. Now you'll be set for another 5-6 years. I don't get the impression you're the kind of person who will lose any sleep when you put your first scratch in the new bezel, either.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
I had something similar happen with my car a few months back. Looking back, the full service wasn't worth it. They tacked on a bunch of stuff to squeeze as much as they could from me. Never doing that again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts