WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have tried the search and have no results and i have googled and still have not found an answer. Can anyone tell me what the difference between the two movements? As far as i understand just some different parts in the -2? My main question is do they still have the same dimensions?

Any help would be appreciated!

My goal is to start a watch company here soon with eta movements and trying to figure out which one to go with.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I tend to stay away from anything with -anything. It all to often earns the - by reducing cost of production, which shouldn't impact Quality, but sometimes does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tend to stay away from anything with -anything. It all to often earns the - by reducing cost of production, which shouldn't impact Quality, but sometimes does.

ya Im just trying to find out if a 2024 will fit in a case that says it fits a 2824-2 i would assume they would be the same dimensions

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
If it wasn't a drop-in replacement, they would have changed the model number. Looks like the fundamental form factor, for a given size, is the same for most of the movements:

ETA calibres - Watch Wiki, The Best Watches And Watch Brands

Obviously, the dial needs to account for day/date or lack thereof, but that didn't change.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The original 2824 was manufactured until 1979 so you will not find it new. Only old stocks. Did you find such a cheap old stock you want to use?
It seems they are 100% interchangeable in the case so no worries if later you plan so switch to 2842-2.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Hmm... I think it would just as often earn the "-#" by having an improvement to correct a problem.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hmm... I think it would just as often earn the "-#" by having an improvement to correct a problem.
Maybe so maybe not. Take your chances. I'm looking at from a production point of view. Production is always trying to cut costs and time. My job is to make sure we don't ship out junk. So I'm biased to question any changes.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Maybe so maybe not. Take your chances.
True... that's really all I was pointing out. You seemed to be implying that "new versions are always worse". Looking at software and electronics (which I'm more familiar with) I'd guess that new versions are more often fixes and improvements. Sometimes cheaper too, but products tend to mature and get better as well.

In this particular case, the link above only mentions that the difference between the 2824 and 2824-2 is limited to the keyless works. I don't know if the change was an improvement... Hopefully Lysanderxiii or one of the other knowledgeable watch makers on here can comment on that.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Never heard of a 2024
I wouldn't mind to see ETA produce a low beat version @ 19000bph, that bears some of the characteristics of the 2824 workhorse movement... and branded as 2024, where the 20 signifies low beat rate.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,056 Posts
True... that's really all I was pointing out. You seemed to be implying that "new versions are always worse". Looking at software and electronics (which I'm more familiar with) I'd guess that new versions are more often fixes and improvements. Sometimes cheaper too, but products tend to mature and get better as well.

In this particular case, the link above only mentions that the difference between the 2824 and 2824-2 is limited to the keyless works. I don't know if the change was an improvement... Hopefully Lysanderxiii or one of the other knowledgeable watch makers on here can comment on that.
I believe he was the one who stated changes were limited to the keyless works. I suspect the differences would not be noticeable to a non-technical person like myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts