WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which movement is better? I have heard a lot of anecdotal info that the 6r15 is running at cosc specs. When I had one it was pretty accurate.

I know the 6r is a new movement but I am wondering which movement is more robust. Which is going to need less service over time and still as accurate.

Opinions, personal experiences, etc.

Thanks R

V

·
0 Posts
Can't say I prefer either because the 6R15 has been around only a short while (<5 yrs), whereas the 2824 is ubiquitous and dates back to the early 80s.

Other than a lower beat rate, the specs of the Seiko are equivalent or superior to the ETA. If the 7S26 reliability and robustness (timekeeping excepted) is anything to go by, the 6R15 will tick consistently for a long time to come, not least because it's based largely on the 7S.

Timekeeping is better (imho) than a 2824 equipped watch at the <$500 price point out of the box, though both can be regulated to a very good level of accuracy. Personally, my Spirit is about +4 seconds in 24 hours (and that includes abt 10 hrs off the wrist). Worn on the wrist, it's about +1s in 12 hours. Of course these are anecdotal.

Oh, the 6R15 winds smoother than the 2824. I still prefer the feel of a 2892's or Rolex Sub's crown action but... hey, let's compare apples to apples ya?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Other than a lower beat rate, the specs of the Seiko are equivalent or superior to the ETA.

I thought the 6r15 was 28kbph????? I have heard that there are different beats of the 2824-2 - but I could almost swear that the 6r15 is a higher beat than the 7s26....:-x

·
Registered
143 Posts
pooh! so much for me buying the sumo then...

I would definately pick a 2824-2 over the 6r15 since they dont share the high beatrate. I know it may require more maintenance...but 21kbph vs 28kbph makes a difference to me - especially when they are the same price....bye bye sumo for me.

thanks for the heads up!

V

·
0 Posts
May I ask why? I reckon the second hand tick isn't noticeable, since it made you believe it's hi-beat.

As for accuracy, the hi-beat in general is less sensitive to hand movement and positional variance but that's about it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if its not the higher beat...i dont want to pay 3x the price for hacking & handwinding. the monster has the reliable 7s26...but one has to have a high beat watch - so since the proven ETA 2824-2 can be had for the same price - why would I go for the 6r15???? the ETA does the hacking & handwinding and IS highbeat... JMHOb-)

V

·
0 Posts
It's not just the movement. I'm not into divers but the Sumo is a much better watch than the monster, from what I've read, seen and heard from owners. It's not just a monster that hacks and handwinds, that's for sure.

It's not easy to find a 2824 equivalent at a similar price point, unless one gets lucky on the used market.

However, it's your watch, your call.

·
Registered
143 Posts
agreed - the sumo is better than the monster.

for 3x the price though - lots of things need to be better...

the MKII Stingray with the 2824-2 is looking pretty darn good to me right now (especially at the $500 price point - like the sumo) ............really good infact....:think:

V

·
0 Posts
Hmmm, let me get the reasoning right. You purchased the Sumo, at 3x the price of the Monster.

Now you realize its lo-beat, and that makes the same watch fall into the 'lots of things need to be better' lot...

I must admit to not following the train of thought.

The MKII looks good, from pictures. That's about all I can say about it since I've never seen a Bill Yao watch in person. They're quite exclusive I've to say.

I wonder about the grade of movement used though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
hmmm - no I did not purchase a sumo - it was on my next list...

now i realize its not hibeat -so its not on the list anymore....for 3 times the price the heart of the watch needs to be a lot better (ex. is the bracelet 3 x better than the monster bracelet???) - this could be the case if it was a high beat movement (the heart of the watch). to make a long story short - spring drives and marine masters have impeccable quality -but its the movements that make the real difference between them and the sumo.

the movements in the MKII are the labore grade which means they are less polished and finished - no exhibition back so no problem for me - i just think at the $500 point one can and should get all the good movement goodies (hibeat - hack - handwind).

all the people that have commented on Yao's watches have been more than happy...I dont know personally....

V

·
0 Posts
hmmm - no I did not purchase a sumo - it was on my next list...

now i realize its not hibeat -so its not on the list anymore....for 3 times the price the heart of the watch needs to be a lot better (ex. is the bracelet 3 x better than the monster bracelet???) - this could be the case if it was a high beat movement (the heart of the watch). to make a long story short - spring drives and marine masters have impeccable quality -but its the movements that make the real difference between them and the sumo.

the movements in the MKII are the labore grade which means they are less polished and finished - no exhibition back so no problem for me - i just think at the $500 point one can and should get all the good movement goodies (hibeat - hack - handwind).

all the people that have commented on Yao's watches have been more than happy...I dont know personally....
There are compromises to a hi-beat movement. Some may consider it too much of a tradeoff.

For example, Phillip Dufour, the man some consider the greatest living watchmaker in the world, designed and handmade the movement powering his latest watch, the Simplicity.

Beat rate? 21'600.

Have fun with your next watch, Yao or otherwise. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
21600bph sounds perfect for a watch called "the simplicity"...I realize there may be a price to pay for the higher beat...but since i have 3 21600bph watches i am prepared for a little extra maintenance as the design is more than well proven...

will let you guys know how the next one works out - whatever it is...

poor Robzilla - sorry for hijacking your thread....

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I have just one ETA 2824... I always avoided 28800 because of less maintenance.... but 28k are very very smooth in comparison of 21k.
About accuracy my 2824 is well into COSC parameters at +2 s/day... not bad for a 280$ watch :-!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I have just one ETA 2824... I always avoided 28800 because of less maintenance.... but 28k are very very smooth in comparison of 21k.
About accuracy my 2824 is well into COSC parameters at +2 s/day... not bad for a 280$ watch :-!
Wish my experience was as good as yours...my one 2824-based watch (the Tissot) is my worst timekeeper. Gains about 15 seconds a day. But it is true that the second hand sweeps much more smoothly than on the Seikos and Orients.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think hi beat is misunderstood and consequently overrated.

I'd like to see a well done, thorough, comprehensive, brand comparative and picture laden FACTUAL thread done on the various differences between 21,600, 28,800 and 36,600!

:thanks

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Tundraotto keeps saying that the Sumo is 3 times the price of a monster. I believe there has been an error made in that statement. Yes the sumo is 3x more expensive, but only when compared to the going rate for grey-market monsters. At retail prices (which is the only price you can currently buy a Sumo), the price difference is FAR closer (+/-$100).

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Wish my experience was as good as yours...my one 2824-based watch (the Tissot) is my worst timekeeper. Gains about 15 seconds a day. But it is true that the second hand sweeps much more smoothly than on the Seikos and Orients.
Maybe it just need a regulation... most good movements can run within (or at least near) +/- 5 sec/day after regulation ;-)
It's mostly matter of luck because midrange watches are usually unadjusted :roll:

V

·
0 Posts
I think hi beat is misunderstood and consequently overrated.

I'd like to see a well done, thorough, comprehensive, brand comparative and picture laden FACTUAL thread done on the various differences between 21,600, 28,800 and 36,600!

:thanks
You'll probably have to pay for it... in a book or magazine. :p

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe it just need a regulation... most good movements can run within (or at least near) +/- 5 sec/day after regulation ;-)
It's mostly matter of luck because midrange watches are usually unadjusted :roll:
I needed to comment now on this thread.

I was only asking about the movement. The Seiko Sumo is 1000X better than the Monster. The Sumo is made in Japan, the Sumo is a Japan only watch which gives it somewhat limited availability, the Sumo case work and dial are finished to a much higher standard than any Monster. The 6r15 while still new so far is an awesome movement. It is most likely more accurate than a comparable 2824-2 and has the benifit of being both a Seiko and low beat rate so while delivering the same accuracy of the 2824-2 will probably(best guess here) be a tougher movement and require less maintanence.

I wanted to know if anyone had any hard facts between the two movements.

Robert

1 - 20 of 56 Posts