WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The Bruno Sohnle "Stellina" is 33.8 mm and is so popular that they keep adding new models to the line. It uses the SW 200 Sellita movement modified in the B.Sohnle factory and is essential the same as an ETA 2824. Many people prefer this smaller size to the giants on the market now.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Bruno Sohnle "Stellina" is 33.8 mm and is so popular that they keep adding new models to the line. It uses the SW 200 Sellita movement modified in the B.Sohnle factory and is essential the same as an ETA 2824. Many people prefer this smaller size to the giants on the market now.
I looked it up. That's a nice looking watch and the dimensions are quoted similar to the Edox 33x11. It also lists it as a "ladies" watch, but the Edox is a men's watch. I am just wondering if this is either mistakenly listed as a men's watch or listed size is wrong.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Based on the position of the balance wheel, I would say that their measurement of 33mm is totally correct. The 2824 isn't that big (IIRC 25mm?) and the balance wheel is at the outside edge of the movement. That leaves about 4mm of case on either side, which looks proportionally correct.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
More than possible. From my copy of the ETA 2824-2 Manufacturing Information sheet (IH 2824-2 FDE 478720 10):

2. Dimensions in mm
Overall diameter 26.00
Case fitting diameter 25.60
Overall movement height 4.60

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I looked it up. That's a nice looking watch and the dimensions are quoted similar to the Edox 33x11. It also lists it as a "ladies" watch, but the Edox is a men's watch. I am just wondering if this is either mistakenly listed as a men's watch or listed size is wrong.
No, this is definitely a mistake. the watch was designed from the first for the Asian market as a man's watch. It is 10 ATM watch resistant and has a sapphire crystal and screw crown. What ladies watches has that?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
No, this is definitely a mistake. the watch was designed from the first for the Asian market as a man's watch. It is 10 ATM watch resistant and has a sapphire crystal and screw crown. What ladies watches has that?
Um, the entire Ball ladies collection? TAG Aquaracer ladies? Rolex? The list goes on and on ...

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,036 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The various online sellers list it as a men's watch. The official Edox website (edox.ch) doesn't say anything, but their Russian site (edox.ru) calls it a ladies watch. Anyway, I ended up ordering it, because I was looking for a smaller watch. Thanks for the advice.

I just checked again, and it looks like the gender is based on the color. The black one is listed as a men's watch and the same one in white is listed as a women's. The Russian site lists all of them as women's. I wonder if it is marketed differently in different countries. For example, do Russians prefer large watches?

Google Translate of Edox.ru
Edox 85013 357J AIDGrand Ocean
Open Vision Automatic
Women
Diameter - 33 mm

The recommended retail price - 99960 rub

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Maybe that's a woman's watch. Watches under 35mm are ridicolously small by modern standrds...
Yeah, I took a look at my wife's 32mm Movado and it just seems way too small. I probably should be looking for 38mm. Too bad, because I love the style, but I also think 11mm thick is too much for a 33mm diameter watch.

Anyway, I canceled my order. It was under $1,000 on Amazon.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
It's nice looking , Amazon lists even the white dial as men's watch, but it just doesn't seem right, 50 years ago maybe, but these days 33mm is a women's watch.
I think someone at Edox checked the wrong box on the description initially, and this is how it went to all retailers after that.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Yeah, I took a look at my wife's 32mm Movado and it just seems way too small. I probably should be looking for 38mm. Too bad, because I love the style, but I also think 11mm thick is too much for a 33mm diameter watch.

I had a similar experience with vintage man watches... even if they look good, I can't get used to anything under 36mm!
And I agree 11mm thick would be 1/3 of the size so probably too much.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Nice watch but 36mm would probably fit this design a lot better. 33.8 - or even 34mm for that matter seems too little for the much detail it has. And this is coming from a guy who loves 34mm vintage watches.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,036 Posts

If you like the style my suggestion would be to reorder and give it a try. It may wear bigger than the specs suggest.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree, spacers a huge turn-off for me....as are "display" backs on +40mm cases that show only 1/2 of the interior to hide said spacers...
I do think this is a beautiful design and I would even think about getting one for the wife if not for the 1/3 thickness/diameter ratio. A 33mm watch really needs to be thinner. I initially thought the 33mm was a mistake, which is why I started this thread. I think 11mm is fine on a 40mm watch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts