WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!
I had the bright idea of putting a watch together myself. Bought the movement (ETA 2836) case, hands etc.

I got the dial on the movement ok and the hands on, everything seemed fine, put it all in watch case. I had trouble putting the stem back in. In the end had to give up, now I think I've damaged something (not sure what)? Removed movement now cant get stem back in at all. (its the one with a pusher to get stem out)

Any ideas on what I may have damaged and how to stem back in????

Any thoughts much appreciated!O|
thanks

David

S

·
0 Posts
May I suggest to post this question on our watchmaking (watchmaker´s :) ) forum. Hope Ulli is around to answer your question properly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
hoppy34 said:
I had trouble putting the stem back in. In the end had to give up, now I think I've damaged something (not sure what)? Removed movement now cant get stem back in at all. (its the one with a pusher to get stem out)
Sounds like you may have had the crown/stem in the winding position when you released and removed the stem. Those ETA movements don't like that too much; ALWAYS pull the crown/stem to the timesetting position BEFORE you release and remove the crown/stem.

Unfortunately the only way to fix this is to disassemble a few parts on the movement ("keyless works" and the date change mechanism) and to put them back together correctly. I have heard of another way to fix this through the dial side (dial removed of course) but have never tried that myself.

Therefore my only recommendation at this point would be to seek the help of a pro; do you have any local watchmaker that can help?

Cheers

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts