WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my new ETA-equipped watch is out of gas and I pick it up I have to wind it three full turns before the movement wakes up and the second hand starts moving. With all my other hand windable movements (Seiko, Orient and Rolex) the second hand starts moving pretty much immediately upon first starting to hand wind. Is this delay on the ETA movement normal?

I don't fully hand wind my watches, I give them a few turns, a few shakes and then let them wind up on the wrist but this ETA movement just performs in a peculiar manner. It's much stiffer to wind than the others too.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Three turns is actually very good, some take a bit more to get them going. It will vary even with the same movement. It is best to go to about 10 winds to give it a little reserve.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I give my automatic ~10 winds when I first pick it up in the morning, and ~10 winds when I set it down at night. If I haven't worn it that day and I'm walking past my desk then I'll pick it up and give it ~10 winds.

·
Premium Member
Silicone Valley, California
3,767 Posts
Three turns is about average among my 2824 variants. I always find it a little terrifying; is this thing gonna start, or is it broken? Fortunately I only start one up every couple weeks; just enough time to forget about the last one.

But yes, both my Omegas usually start running as soon as I pick them out of the case.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Three turns is about average among my 2824 variants. I always find it a little terrifying; is this thing gonna start, or is it broken? Fortunately I only start one up every couple weeks; just enough time to forget about the last one.

But yes, both my Omegas usually start running as soon as I pick them out of the case.
Thanks, you've put my mind at ease.👍

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hello, why don't you shake the watch a little bit to start it? Let the rotor work. :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I heard that it's not a good idea to do a lot of hand winding with an ETA movement - just enough to get the hands to move, or.... as a poster said above, shake the watch & let the rotor do the work.

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
When you hand wind, both reversers slip, which is why hand winding doesn't spin the rotor (OK, on some watches it does). On the ETA 2824, each reverser has six teeth and each tooth requires two transitions of the pawl. The rotor takes 650 TPD times 38/24 (total reserve divided by hours in a day) to get to the total rotor turns needed to wind the watch. The rotor has 38 teeth and the reverser has 28 teeth, so the reverser goes faster/more turns by that ratio. So, to get to the number of transitions a the pawl for a full wind, it's 650 times 38/24 times 38/28 times six times two. I get 16,760 transitions per full wind.

The pawl is a tiny part inside the reverser (two per reverser) about the size of a comma. Think of how fast it has to move to move from one position to another in the 16 thousand times in the time it takes you to wind a watch. That's why you don't hand wind.

Notes: The 650 TPD comes from many recommendations re: winder settings for the 2824. It might be a little overkill, but it comes out to just over 1000 turns to fully wind which is inline with what I remember reading. The tooth count comes from counting the teeth on the tech sheet; I might be off by a tooth either way. The understanding of the reverser function comes from finding pictures online where the reverser gears are separated and the teeth/pawls are visible.

·
Registered
679 Posts
With my 2824, the rotor spins when the watch is wound, but this may be because it needs to be serviced. ( I've never serviced an ETA and I've been hesitant to do so). This also goes to show you how the transmission wheel does not bypass the auto mechanism when winding.

I have been handwinding my autos partially (or wearing non-auto) as I cannot wear a watch at work now and they rarely get a full wind. With the older ones you can hear the teeth racing, so I do so extremely slowly

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
With my 2824, the rotor spins when the watch is wound...
So one reverser is getting a break. The other is still clattering back and forth. And yes, a new reverser would fix the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts