WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are the most popular ETA movements and oftentimes questions arise to the movements' general qualities and composition as a comparison. So, I hope this chart helps for beginners, enthusiasts and even WIS's as easy reference of sorts (though, I'm sure you have it memorized!). Please note that the standard grade ETA 2892-A2 & 7750 movements don't exist. Also note that there is no difference between top and chronometer grades, save for the lemons weeded out with respect to the stricter accuracy and testing in the chronometer grade. Further note that many of the other ETA movements are based on (added complications/modifications to) these movements. Here's a chart of some of the info on the ETA 2824-2, 2892-A2, & 7750 movements: ETA's holy trinity.

COSC Standards

Average daily rate: -4/+6 sec
Mean variation in rates: 2 sec
Greatest variation in rates: 5 sec
Difference between rates in horizontal & vertical positions: -6/+8 sec
Largest variation in rates: 10 sec
Thermal variation: ± 0.6 sec
Rate resumption: ± 5 sec

·
Registered
35,786 Posts
Real cool, thanks!
I was sure the 2824 Elabora had the incabloc shock system.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know the 7750 (like the 2892) is not available standard grade, but begins at elabore, adj. 3 positions. And the movement height for 7750 is 7.9mm vs. 3.6mm for the 2892--that's a dramatic difference.

Thanks to OP for getting this together for us |>.

·
Registered
19,330 Posts
It's a shame that ETA don't make complete watches, they could easily compete with Omega and Rolex if they invest enough in decoration and assembly quality control.

Their movements are truly "in-house" and the performance is stunning, watches with 2824, 2892 and 2836 chronometer movements usually run as good as Grand Seiko for only 1/5th of the price.

Thanks for posting the chart, I used to have it in my computer but didn't think about posting on the forum |>

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's a shame that ETA don't make complete watches, they could easily compete with Omega and Rolex if they invest enough in decoration and assembly quality control.

Their movements are truly "in-house" and the performance is stunning, watches with 2824, 2892 and 2836 chronometer movements usually run as good as Grand Seiko for only 1/5th of the price.

Thanks for posting the chart, I used to have it in my computer but didn't think about posting on the forum |>
Bear in mind the historical context of a mainly horizontally structured industry. The perceived importance of vertically integrated inhouse manufacture is a fairly recent phenomenon, that I think is related to the reinvented appeal of the mechanical wristwatch based on notions of luxury & exclusivity.

If you want an 'ETA watch'... buy an Eterna ;-)

·
Registered
889 Posts
As a relative newcomer to this aspect of watches, this forum is full of Win. AlthouI'm still curious, the only difference between COSC and Top is us fact the watch company didn't bother to get it certified, right?

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
As a relative newcomer to this aspect of watches, this forum is full of Win. AlthouI'm still curious, the only difference between COSC and Top is us fact the watch company didn't bother to get it certified, right?
one difference is COSC guarantees the accuracy of the movement to be within -4/+6 sec/day, which then becomes a warranty issue if the watch falls out of COSC spec. during the lifetime of the warranty. (The printed "chronometer" on a dial is also more assurance to a buyer that the movement within the watch is actually a COSC "Top" movement, as opposed to being told by someone, like a seller, that the watch has a "Top" movement.)

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
No.

Chronometer:
Average daily rate : -4/+6 s/d
Average variation in rates : 2 s/d
Greatest variation in rates : 5 s/d
Difference between horizontal and vertical rates : -6/+8 s/d
Greatest difference in rates : 10 s/d
variation in rate due to temperature : 0.6 s/d/C
Resumption : -/+5 s/d

Top:
Average daily rate : -/+ 5 s/d
Average variation in rates : not tested
Greatest variation in rates : not tested
Difference between horizontal and vertical rates : 15 s/d
Greatest difference in rates : 15 s/d
variation in rate due to temperature : not tested
Resumption : not tested

·
Registered
130 Posts
I find this info facinating...thanks :)...Tom

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sorry for reviving old thread... just want to know if the difference in accuracy between, say, ETA2892 Elaborate vs Top grade, is largely to do with the amount of adjustment involved? Or outright a difference in material/structure? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Sorry for reviving old thread... just want to know if the difference in accuracy between, say, ETA2892 Elaborate vs Top grade, is largely to do with the amount of adjustment involved? Or outright a difference in material/structure? Thanks!
The answer is both these things. Several key components are upgraded in terms of materials and design, and the adjustments and testing of the movement progressively increase as you move into the Top and Chronometer grades.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Might the original chart get reposted?
Do you mean this chart? - Remember, Google is your friend.

ETAchart.jpg

COSC Standards

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Do you mean this chart? - Remember, Google is your friend.

View attachment 14772627

COSC Standards

fair but at the same time, I imagine google may have directed him here. Since the thread had been dead for years it's unlikely he found it on its own.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
fair but at the same time, I imagine google may have directed him here. Since the thread had been dead for years it's unlikely he found it on its own.
To be fair, I found the chart on another Watch Forum site, and it was posted to that site on 18 June 2018.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts