WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Currently I own two Seiko 8f series and one Citizen E510 perpetual calendar watch. Would like to add a ETA thermoline equipped perpetual to the collection.

I don't know if I'm asking for the impossible but is there a model out there I can purchase for less than $500? There's always Breitling but I'm not batting in that league now.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
I don't like your chances not even for second hand.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I totally agree. I figured there's no harm trying.

Another question. Is it possible to purchase the raw movement and build your own watch then?

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
...Is it possible to purchase the raw movement and build your own watch then?
No, unfortunately that does not work either. These movements are available for exchange only: give them your faulty movement and you will be getting an identical new working one.
In fact you can buy raw movements from ETA but no less than (I think) 500 pieces at a time, so it just does not work the way we would prefer.
I was working on a similar project so I know that we can't make shortcuts, unfortunately.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
You can find perpetual Constellations for little more than that. Also, you could check if Krieger do one - Krieger prices are all over the place and you might find a bargain.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
No, unfortunately that does not work either. These movements are available for exchange only: give them your faulty movement and you will be getting an identical new working one.
In fact you can buy raw movements from ETA but no less than (I think) 500 pieces at a time, so it just does not work the way we would prefer.
I was working on a similar project so I know that we can't make shortcuts, unfortunately.
Well, occasionally they leak out. I got one. I'm still building the watch... I've gone through several possible dials and cases. I've put it on the back burner... I couldn't get the stem back in. I guess I'll have to ask my watchmaker for help.

(He has taken to groaning when I come in the shop. I keep bringing him all these strange watches to work on. One of the latest was the plastic movement Astrolon. "I'll never get parts!" he said. Then I handed him a spare movement :) )

As to the 500 limit - I can't comment on that specific number but when I tried to buy movements directly they did indicate they only dealt directly with businesses that could give them several hundred thousand dollars a year in trade. The Eeeb Watch Works is not in that class :-d

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! You got a movement! You have got to show us the watch once its completed. Any sources you can PM?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
One of the latest was the plastic movement Astrolon. "I'll never get parts!" he said. Then I handed him a spare movement :) )
You've got an Astrolon! I'd love to see it. I know this is a quartz forum, but that is from the same time of inventive ferment in which new technologies were being tried. A cool bit of history!

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Wow! You got a movement! You have got to show us the watch once its completed. Any sources you can PM?
The source declined to tell me how she got it other than to say it was an unneeded repair spare. She has never had another one :-| :-| :-|

She didn't appreciate what it was nor it's rarity. Otherwise she would have charged me a lot more, I'm sure ;-)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi guys. Currently I own two Seiko 8f series and one Citizen E510 perpetual calendar watch. Would like to add a ETA thermoline equipped perpetual to the collection.

I don't know if I'm asking for the impossible but is there a model out there I can purchase for less than $500? There's always Breitling but I'm not batting in that league now.
There are usually one or two Longines VHP watches for sale at the Japanese Yahoo auction site. Often they go for less than $500 including fees and shipping. Check these current auctions out:

http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t54246560
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h57203881
http://page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x10863012

I have purchased two VHPs from the Yahoo auction, paying less than $500 for each. Both are running fine and looking great. They are currently adjusted to under 4 sec/yr each.

To get an English translation of these auctions, paste the URL into the URL translation page at Google and select Japanese to English.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you use a proxy bidding service? Mind PM'ing me a reliable source?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts