WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my U1 yesterday, and am impressed as hell. With all of this attention to detail, I can't imagine that Sinn doesn't tweak the movement as well. I know they use the highest quality-level version of the 2824, but does anyone know what else they might do to it?

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
oooooh, that "special oil"....woo hoo!:think: :-( :roll: :p
You may think little of the special oil, but I had an intersting discussion with Lothar Schmidt about it, and it not only simplifies service, it is also purer than the standard oil ETA uses. This is important concerning what remains of the lubricant in the movement to do damage once the oil dries out over time.

Perhaps there will be comparative pictures of the special oil and the standard ETA oil in the next catalog - I suggested as much to Mr. Schmidt.

Not´to mention that the special oil increases the temperetaure range in which the watch will be less affected. :)

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may think little of the special oil, but I had an intersting discussion with Lothar Schmidt about it, and it not only simplifies service, it is also purer than the standard oil ETA uses. This is important concerning what remains of the lubricant in the movement to do damage once the oil dries out over time.

Perhaps there will be comparative pictures of the special oil and the standard ETA oil in the next catalog - I suggested as much to Mr. Schmidt.

Not´to mention that the special oil increases the temperetaure range in which the watch will be less affected. :)
You know, now that I think it through, I've got no room to jest; I've been a firm believer in "full synthetic" motor oils in my vehicles for years...I s'pose the same basic principles apply here as well...thanks for making me use my brain for a rare moment or two!:-! :thanks

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Hard to believe ETA wouldn't use the best possible oil in their zillions of movements, special temperature needs aside.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to believe ETA wouldn't use the best possible oil in their zillions of movements, special temperature needs aside.
I'd guess that they make the movements with perfectly good oils; but with Lothar's nose for innovation, he found something a little better. In my example above; everyone from Ford to Mercedes sell their new cars with perfectly good motor oil, but there is better available in full synthetics....

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
As far as I understand, the problem is that ETA recommends sevearl oils for different parts of the movement, thus opening the possibility for incorrect servicing. Sinn use the same hi-grade oil throughout, with extra purity. I guess in terms of workshop logistsics, the Sinn way has advantages - in addition to the greater temp. range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts