WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What impact has the migration from ETA to Sellita made on the used watch market?

Assuming no other differences are used watches from the same maker equal in value if one has an ETA movement and the other a Sellita? Would you pay more for an ETA movement if the same watch in the same condition were available with a Sellita movement?

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I see them as interchangeable. Both are quality.

FWIW, Sellita used to assemble movements for ETA, so even some older ETAs out there may have actually been built by Sellita.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
"What impact has the migration from ETA to Sellita made on the used watch market?" None (nor have I seen much "migration").

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
"What impact has the migration from ETA to Sellita made on the used watch market?" None (nor have I seen much "migration").
You haven't seen a migration? Admittedly, I would say the migration has been happening for a fair number of years, but I can think of several brands that migrated from ETA to Sellita, in part or in whole, after ETA started restricting supply. TAG Heuer, Sinn, Glycine, IWC, Montblanc...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Absolutely no difference for me. Given Sellita's heritage w/ETA, I think it is great to have two separate entities that basically are as one! I do like having that extra jewel however.

·
Registered
30,781 Posts
I see them as interchangeable. Both are quality.

FWIW, Sellita used to assemble movements for ETA, so even some older ETAs out there may have actually been built by Sellita.

Agree with MX.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think now it doesn’t have as much of an impact. 20+ years from now, the ETA may be a little more valuable. At least that’s my thought when going after watches with ETA’s over Sellita

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I've tried to stick to ETA over Sellita. Even though they're "clones," Sellita made a few significant changes to the design to make their watches cheaper to produce. Because of that, the parts aren't interchangeable. Sellita may be going strong now, but they're a relative newcomer without anywhere near the industry momentum as ETA. I wonder if in a few decades they'll still be around and parts will still be available. ETA seems like a much surer bet in that regard.

Other than that, there have been some issues with Sellita's movements, partly due to design changes and partly due to teething issues with production. I'm sure they can make a competent movement since the base they are working off of is so strong from a design perspective. But ETA is going to be a little better.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I had thought of a Sinn not long ago and the fact they were now using Sellita movements turned me off. I'm sure it's an unfounded prejudice but save for my Archimede 39H with the ETA 2824 (IIRC), all my other watches use in-house movements. I have zero experience with Sellita but the ETA has been fine. Not as accurate as I prefer but not worth sending for regulation. Easy enough to hack it when needed.

Isn't the issue that ETA is owned by Swatch and Swatch has decided to restrict its sale/use to Swatch brands for the most part? Sellita has now filled in that market where ETAs are no longer available to different brands.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've tried to stick to ETA over Sellita. Even though they're "clones," Sellita made a few significant changes to the design to make their watches cheaper to produce. Because of that, the parts aren't interchangeable.
I actually just looked at this a week or two ago and at least on the dial side almost everything was interchangeable except iirc 2 parts. I was able to swap everything between them except for the date jumper plate and date corrector. I’ve not tried swapping on the going side yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I actually just looked at this a week or two ago and at least on the dial side almost everything was interchangeable except iirc 2 parts. I was able to swap everything between them except for the date jumper plate and date corrector. I’ve not tried swapping on the going side yet.

The gears use different tooth profiles, so those aren't interchangeable. IIRC, the balance cock or balance bridge also is not interchangeable. Sellita flipped which piece had the pin and which had the hole.

IIRC, the crown stems are interchangeable and the date wheels might be.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The gears use different tooth profiles, so those aren't interchangeable. IIRC, the balance cock or balance bridge also is not interchangeable. Sellita flipped which piece had the pin and which had the hole.

IIRC, the crown stems are interchangeable and the date wheels might be.
Good to know. On the dial side everything except what I listed swapped. The issue was the size of pins and holes.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a 6-7 y/o ETA2824 in a Squale. No service nothing but wrist and winder time. Set it on Oct 1 due to date change. Its 18 seconds slow right now, total...about -1 per day.

Having said that...Selitta is a great manufacturer. At 1 point ETA subbed substantial production to Selitta.

My understanding is Selitta improved the ETA design... didn't sub out cheaper parts. But some watch repair people swear up and down the ETAs give them less trouble.

For me, I wouldn't hesitate with either.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Had I not been interested in watches until now I probably wouldn't care because an ETA 2824-2 is essentially the same movement as the Sellita SW200 and they are both used widely. For me I think it is simply a bias towards favoring ETA movements because I have been interested in watches for a long time and ETA had the market cornered for awhile. If a watch I wanted had a Sellita movement instead of an ETA movement I would probably get over it.
This is complete conjecture, so if someone has more information please share it, but I think ETA is currently more innovative and focused on R&D (Powermatic 80 movement, for example) in order to stay ahead on patents, whereas Sellita is strictly a producer and not an innovator.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There have been a number of candid reviews done by watchmakers that state two things:

1) Selita changed some of the architecture of the movement to save money - and they ran into some initial teething problems as a result. Though this should be more or less addressed by now, and

2) Tolerances and general quality are NOT the same, and are better on the ETA.

I do not view them as interchangeable and would always take the ETA.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
2) Tolerances and general quality are NOT the same, and are better on the ETA.
Funny, because I’ve read and heard the opposite - precision and machining are superior on Sellita. It’s also been said that Sellita move ents are manufactured on newer equipment, which results in tighter tolerances.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Funny, because I’ve read and heard the opposite - precision and machining are superior on Sellita. It’s also been said that Sellita move ents are manufactured on newer equipment, which results in tighter tolerances.
I have never seen anyone claim this. Not doubting, just would be interesting in reading if you have a source.

Also I have read Selita have issues with over-zealous oiling

1 - 20 of 32 Posts