WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
An anecdotal observation:
I have an 1883 Hamden keywind that has 11 jewels. This watch was assembled back when you needed natural jewels and they were expensive. It has a jeweled gear train only where the customer can see them. The bearings on the pillar plate are unjeweled with the exception of the balance staff, Essentially a dressed up 7 jewel watch. That said, it still runs well after 131 years.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
(Bold) Sellita would have been very sure of were they stood in regards to IP rights long before they started to even think about making 2824 clones. I dare say it would be the first thing I would get straight before I invested a dime in clone movement production.
I agree, that would be the first thing I would check but who knows... There are always companies throughout history that do things that make us scratch our heads. I would not be surprised if they really did not know where they stood or maybe where they really wanted to take this cloning adventure.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I agree, that would be the first thing I would check but who knows... There are always companies throughout history that do things that make us scratch our heads. I would not be surprised if they really did not know where they stood or maybe where they really wanted to take this cloning adventure.
As far as a general statement about cloning any product this is most certainly true, however, in the particular case of Sellita, they were selling reworked ETA ebauch long before ETA announced a reduction and eventual stoppage of ebauch supplies. If they were any IP rights to run afoul of, they would have had a licenced to do what they were doing earlier, so their business office would had known exactly where they stood.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts