WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't expect that anyone will find this interesting. so, why am i posting it? i have no idea.

seen here is a mid-50s hamilton automatic:

pretty little thing. seen next is the movement:

hmm. this is clearly an eterna movement. but here's the odd thing- eterna didn't license this movement to be used by ETA, or any other swiss maker, until much later than this. i think i've seen some gubelins from the early 60s labeled "gubelinmatic" or some such thing. but ETA certainly didn't get it that early.

so, what's the deal here? perhaps because hamilton was an american company eterna would provide them with ebauches? again, interesting only to me. and, perhaps, completely wrong. maybe i just got my dates screwed up.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Here's the watch in a 1954 Hamilton Catalog. It's called the K-200 cld:

Hamilton might have been an American company then, but they had zero knowledge in building automatic watches at that time. If you look closely at the bottom of the dial, it does say "Swiss". So like a lot of other watch companies in the 1950's, Hamilton imported Swiss made movements (for this watch, Eterna/ETA) and cased them in US made 14K gold or gold-filled cases.

Unlike Elgin or Bulova, I don't think Hamilton ever attempted to build an automatic movement in the US.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yes. i knew hamilton did these things. my interest lies in the idea that eterna didn't let their ball bearing design go to anyone else this early. by far. there is also the notion that ETA was seperated from eterna in the 30s because the swiss didn't want manufacturers and ebauche makers under the same roof. did this agreement lapse in the 50s? was it not enforced? i think it was dr. ranfft who postulated that the division was actually quite feeble, and that eterna/eta still shared facilities. clearly, eterna was selling their movements to hamilton before they sold them to anyone else. i just find it interesting. which is maybe not really a good way to spend my few remaining brain cells, but...oh well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts