WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Very well presented review. Looks like a great watch - very stylish and the clasp/bracelet look extremely sturdy:-!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nice photo of the old Eterna KonTiki IDF model, gunscrossed. You must have had that one for awhile, looks like a 60's era watch. I like the current version of the Kontiki also, which you obviously already have. Thanks for the photo.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
haakon59 said:
Nice photo of the old Eterna KonTiki IDF model, gunscrossed. You must have had that one for awhile, looks like a 60's era watch. I like the current version of the Kontiki also, which you obviously already have. Thanks for the photo.
Peter (Gunscrossed) is where my trade came from, so that is an earlier pic of the same watch ;-) :)

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Eterna Super KonTiki 120m

Hi:

I know it's not a dive watch.

Here's mine. An Eterna Super Kontiki, 120m, reference # 1578.41.10.127.

Unfortunately Eterna never provided me any technical details about this watch. I wrote to them many times, but none I had an answer.

Also, I would like to now when the production of this model started, when stopped.

Any information is welcome.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Hi André:

OK!! Thanks. Now officially a dive watch. I think it's a great watch too.

But I still need the technical details about this watch.
Well, "officially" it's not a dive watch as all the official standards I'm aware require a minimum 200M depth rating.

That said, this technicality certainly wouldn't stop me from buying this beautiful and capable dive chrono. b-)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, "officially" it's not a dive watch as all the official standards I'm aware require a minimum 200M depth rating.

That said, this technicality certainly wouldn't stop me from buying this beautiful and capable dive chrono. b-)
Hi XTrooper:

Tears... Tears...

Do I have a dive watch or not???:-s

It doesn't matter. :-!I don't even swim at the swimming pool.:-d

Thanks for the kind words about the beauty of the watch.:thanks

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
For the record, my personal belief is that the various standards out there (like DIN) are created by people with too much time on their hands. ;-)

Nalu's example well illustrates the silliness of setting arbitrary standards to define just exactly what constitutes an "official" dive watch.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Another "not a dive watch" then:

Colin,

Serious question that I've never read a definitive answer to: I know this Omega is rated to 120M - so how does it remain water resistant given the non-screw pushers? I've always wondered about this for certain dive-rated chrono's - in particular the vintage ones, but also with modern pieces like Tutima's military line. Does an accidental knock to one of the pushers underwater compromise the integrity of the case? Or is something else at work here that ensure water-tightness?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It seems to me that Eterna would be able to sell tons of divers if they simply put out a watch that was, in essence, a reissue of the classic Super KonTiki that rajenmaniar posted (excellent watch, by the way). Put it out in 42mm and 14mm thick - man, I would buy several just to keep them for years to come.

That Super KonTiki chrono is, I think, a 41mm case and about 15.5 tall??? I'm pretty sure it's a Valjoux 7750 movement, but Eterna decorated the movements in those I beleive (but could be wrong). The regular 90's Super Kon Tiki diver was an ETA-2824 of some variety. I have been oh-so-close to acquiring several of the chronos, but haven't yet. I almost had a regular 90's Super KT but had to pull out of the deal because another deal fell through.

I'm wearing a black KonTiki 1958 right now. Seem small compared to a lot of my othe rwatches but it is uber classic. An Explorer I class watch, but I think it is infinitely more beautiful than the Explorer (meaning case, dial, and hands).

Those 90's Eterna KonTikis are really a special line of watches, and it's a shame that Eterna ever changed the lineup. My $.02

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
It seems to me that Eterna would be able to sell tons of divers if they simply put out a watch that was, in essence, a reissue of the classic Super KonTiki that rajenmaniar posted (excellent watch, by the way). Put it out in 42mm and 14mm thick - man, I would buy several just to keep them for years to come.
I'm with you! I'd buy a Super KonTiki reissue in a heartbeat! |>

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'm with you! I'd buy a Super KonTiki reissue in a heartbeat! |>
I have to agree as well! I ended up trading/selling the KonTiki because ultimately it didn't 'sing' to me enough. I'd buy another Eterna in a heartbeat, because the quality of construction is just superb. I've thought about trying to track down an earlier Super KonTiki as a replacement for it, but haven't bitten the bullet as yet. (The 1958 4-hand looks rather nice as well, actually!)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Today I decided to wear my Eterna Matic Super Kontiki

Hi:

Today, early in this morning, just after I woke up and had my breakfast I decided I would wear my Eterna Matic Super Kontiki 120m.

This is it...

Isn't it beautiful? Or what?

But, BTW, is it a Diver or not?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts