WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My first post. I love all types of watches and am starting to collect them. This one belonged to my grandfather.Still keeps good time(although low 12 hour reserve) would really love to know more info about it like circa 50s? Etc.. Have checked for days (Web) at all Eternamatic, Eterna-Matic,Eterna and have found nothing quite like my piece. I hope someone can help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If it's got a running time of 12 hours I think it needs a trip to the watchmaker first...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If it's got a running time of 12 hours I think it needs a trip to the watchmaker first...
I meant 18 hours ..sorry. But still agree the old watch needs to be taken to a watchmaker and examined,oiled etc. etc..Thanks for reply. This is picture of backside.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,135 Posts
How remarkable! I thought modern auto-winding pocket watches were a recent invention of the Chinese/Hong Kong watch industry.

How effective is the auto-winding on this watch?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How remarkable! I thought modern auto-winding pocket watches were a recent invention of the Chinese/Hong Kong watch industry.

How effective is the auto-winding on this watch?
Not bad. It has never been serviced. I have been taking it and moving it around these last 4/5 days and it keeps on ticking.Only when left alone (no movement) is when after 18 or so hours it actually stops. I hope someone can find or have some info on this particular (I would guess 1950s model). Best,JL

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
I have never seen a piece like this either. But the display caseback makes me think it was born sometime after the 1970s. Knowing the exact movement in the watch would help date it... but Eterna-Matics are still being made as watches, I believe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never seen a piece like this either. But the display caseback makes me think it was born sometime after the 1970s. Knowing the exact movement in the watch would help date it... but Eterna-Matics are still being made as watches, I believe.
Positive not from the 70s. I grew up with my grandad through the late 60s- 70s (I saw him myself looking at the time etc) and he also told me about purchasing it over 20 years before. He died in 1977. The caliber of the pocket watch is # 1263 and other number is 3756273.

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Positive not from the 70s. I grew up with my grandad through the late 60s- 70s (I saw him myself looking at the time etc) and he also told me about purchasing it over 20 years before. He died in 1977. The caliber of the pocket watch is # 1263 and other number is 3756273.
Digging through Dr. Ranfft's site I see a very similar movement, the 1247. This would place it in the late 1940s or early 1950s... If so and if this is the original caseback, it is the oldest displayback I have ever seen!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Digging through Dr. Ranfft's site I see a very similar movement, the 1247. This would place it in the late 1940s or early 1950s... If so and if this is the original caseback, it is the first displayback I have ever seen!
Thanks for checking! The main reason I remember watch as a little kid was how in AWE I was about transparent backing...and being able to see movements etc. Thank you again. PS. Btw..the watch saw light of day for the first time in 30 or so years cause it was put in a safe after my grandfather's passing in 1977. I had it lubricated,softly cleaned today by a local expert watchsmith or watchmaker. Looking great and working great. Will post better pictures in the near future.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,135 Posts
Digging through Dr. Ranfft's site I see a very similar movement, the 1247. This would place it in the late 1940s or early 1950s... If so and if this is the original caseback, it is the oldest displayback I have ever seen!
There was one particular Swiss brand (can't remember who, dammit o|) who made display backs a bit of a selling point for their watches back in the 1950s. Maybe Eterna thought this would be a good way of promoting their Eternamatic, especially if the patent was still in force. By putting it in a pocket-watch, the mechanical marvel within would be easy for the owner to show to his friends without needing to take it off his wrist.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I am amazed that the watch rotor gets enough movement to wind it!
I mean, if it is placed in a pocket, it will sit there in the same position untill removed for time checking, and that should not give it enough rotation for effective winding?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am amazed that the watch rotor gets enough movement to wind it!
I mean, if it is placed in a pocket, it will sit there in the same position untill removed for time checking, and that should not give it enough rotation for effective winding?
I think it needs a little "help" twice a week or so with manual winding. It depends on how many times you move watch to look at time and dressing plus general daily activities which make the movement needed to keep watch ticking. Here I post two better and more faithful pictures after oiling and cleaning by watchmaker. Original pictures posted somehow were reversed by mistake.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
It is very nice. A "dressy" pocket watch.
What is the measurements of it, am I right thinking it is quite small?
I recall my dad using a similar styled pocketwatch when he went on "black tie" dinners.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is very nice. A "dressy" pocket watch.
What is the measurements of it, am I right thinking it is quite small?
I recall my dad using a similar styled pocketwatch when he went on "black tie" dinners.
You guess correct. Comparing to a 39mm watch I have it comes close. So 38mm is probably right. I almost never saw my grandad without some sort of suit and tie!LOL! 19th century gentleman type...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Not a pocket watch IMHO. Going through one of my reference books on automatic movements and noticed a very similar watch with a display back in the Eterna section, circa late 1950s. The watch had a different dial with "Golfer" printed on it.

My guess is that this is a "Ladies" watch meant to be worn hanging from the neck. Note that the dial is upside down which makes sense for a hanging watch that you would lift to read. Also a hanging watch would swing activating the winding mechanism.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Swinging motion only on flat chested ladies! ;-)

Yes, it could be similar to a nurses watch!
Unfortunately, I do not recall which way dad's watches' dial was.

Strange that Eterna made such a watch in the era of wrist watches.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Not a pocket watch IMHO. Going through one of my reference books on automatic movements and noticed a very similar watch with a display back in the Eterna section, circa late 1950s. The watch had a different dial with "Golfer" printed on it.

My guess is that this is a "Ladies" watch meant to be worn hanging from the neck. Note that the dial is upside down which makes sense for a hanging watch that you would lift to read. Also a hanging watch would swing activating the winding mechanism.
I saw my grandad pull the watch from his vest or pant little pocket and he had no trouble seeing it right side up. I beg to differ on ladies neck wear cause 1.He would not purchase a ladies watch to use as a pocket watch (reason his arthritis,rheumatism ended his wristwatch wearing years). 2.Not a feminine looking watch at all Imo. Thanks all for posting so far.:-! PS. Still looking to no avail that exact timepiece. Btw check/compare first 2 pictures with last 2 pictures. The first 2 are wrong and reversed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts