WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tested my Silver and my Timex and my Garmin 5X Plus Sapphire with drop of water.

The Silver reacts exactly like the Garmin!
And very differently from the Timex (mineral)...

The Casio glass reacted like a sapphire with a very high well drawn droplet which can stay when held vertically...
Strange and exciting!

Who else has tried?

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Timex got a flat crystal.
The Garmin got very slightly convex crystal.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Realistically, even with mineral glass, you are probably gonna stretch the hell out on bezel before stretching any crystal.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
The GMW and Garmin both look like they have an oleophoboc coating applied to the glass/crystal to prevent smudges and to also make it easier to wipe off smudges or fingerprints. It makes more sense for the Garmin to have an oleophobic coating as it has a touch interface and the user will touch it often. It’s pretty cool that Casio also applied it to their top of the line squares.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The GMW and Garmin both look like they have an oleophoboc coating applied to the glass/crystal to prevent smudges and to also make it easier to wipe off smudges or fingerprints. It makes more sense for the Garmin to have an oleophobic coating as it has a touch interface and the user will touch it often. It’s pretty cool that Casio also applied it to their top of the line squares.
But this Garmin Fenix 5X Plus doesn't have a touch interface this is one of its charm.

Now I'm would love other test from my fellow B5000 owners. How your drops look like ?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And this is a 200m shock resistant Timex.
And water smears on its glass.
Impossible to get a nicely shape drop.

But...

I got always perfect drops of water on the sapphire Garmin and that G-Shock.

It's uncanny.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Different glass, different surface tension and may be different coating. May be different surface finish.
Generally speaking contact angle (on same substrate) will change with surface contamination, water contamination, temperature and to lesser extent with atmospheric pressure so your mileage will vary.

·
Premium Member
8,257 Posts
I once tried the 'drop test' on some of my watches (not B5000). Gs with sapphire and those without. Honestly I did not get any consistent results. Nothing to show which was sapphire just by the test. It's not exactly a scientific test, I suppose.

Reactions: Rocket1991

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I d rather see some pics than read so many pseudo tension surface scientific assumptions.
So far "Timex is acrylic" and "Garmin got a touchscreen" do not worth a simple picture from another B5000...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
But this Garmin Fenix 5X Plus doesn't have a touch interface this is one of its charm.

Now I'm would love other test from my fellow B5000 owners. How your drops look like ?
Ah okay. I'm not a Fenix 5 owner so I assumed that it has a touch interface. But with such a large front glass, I still wouldn't be surprised if it has an oleophobic coating on it. You can compare what a drop of water on your smartphone looks like. It should react similarly. I'll have to compare my B5000 to my iphone tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts