WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys.

First of all, I want to say Hello to everybody in this forum. I`m new here but I`ve read allot of comments and its very useful for people like me to get so much info and knowledge for free.

So, a good friend of mine has a pocket watch that he got it from his step father a few years ago who bought it in 1990, cash, directly from the Patek Philippe Geneva store. Since his step father died, he dosen`t know how or where to evaluate it in order to try to sell it at a later time. I have attached some pictures I have ( my friend is not to good with technologies ie. photos, internet, etc. ). If you need any other pictures for a rough evaluation, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vintage-watch-valuations-read-these-rules-before-asking-67379.html

Thank you for your answer and link. Great info. Maybe somebody can help me with an address where I can evaluate this watch? In London, UK? I really don`t know where to start from in order to find out the value of the watch..

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thank you for your answer and link. Great info. Maybe somebody can help me with an address where I can evaluate this watch? In London, UK? I really don`t know where to start from in order to find out the value of the watch..
Perhaps here: https://www.worthpoint.com though you might have to become a member?

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
When your friend is ready to sell it, he should probably contact one of the major auction houses to see if they would include it in an auction.

·
Registered
13,514 Posts
There have been a few similar pieces listed recently, but I didn’t see any sold prices, so a google search is your friend.

Listing prices vary significantly and aren’t really a true indication of what it will actually sell for as these (relatively) modern pocket watches weren’t particularly in high demand and still aren’t so much, so it may take time to find the right buyer and sell.

Actual market price is dependant on the buyer and it may be worth considering an Auction house as they may be able to attract interest from buyers you wouldn’t reach and if sold alongside some more popular, and in demand, wristwatches could end up getting caught in a frenzy and drive the price up.

Even then, I wouldn’t be expecting it to get close to 5 figures. (Although with Auction fever - you never know)

A valuation is only going to be an estimate anyway, (and often they are over-valued to be used for insurance purposes) and hardly more realistic, so the only way to truly value it is to list it.

It is hardly going to lose much value, (unless you don’t look after it) and is only going to appreciate over time, and if it has sentimental value, why not keep it?

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
If it were a watch. You would have loads of people lined up to buy it.

PW. Not so much, so you will not get anywhere near what a watch would sell for. People just don't carry PW's anymore, so more like a novelty item.

Beautiful watch, but I think Patek either took it in as a trade or bought it from a seller

Balance does not have shock protection, so possibly 1940's

Check Ebay completed auctions. Maybe something similar

If you sell at auction

You will have seller fees and catalogue fees. Auction fee could be 15, 20% and catalogue fee could be $350 for image insert/description.

DON

Addendum

Do a google search on Patek reference 600 which will bring up loads of images and auction sold prices

·
Registered
13,514 Posts
Evaluation Patek Philippe & CO pocket watch

If it were a watch. You would have loads of people lined up to buy it.

PW. Not so much, so you will not get anywhere near what a watch would sell for. People just don't carry PW's anymore, so more like a novelty item.

Beautiful watch, but I think Patek either took it in as a trade or bought it from a seller

Balance does not have shock protection, so possibly 1940's

Check Ebay completed auctions. Maybe something similar

If you sell at auction

You will have seller fees and catalogue fees. Auction fee could be 15, 20% and catalogue fee could be $350 for image insert/description.

DON

Addendum

Do a google search on Patek reference 600 which will bring up loads of images and auction sold prices
This is mostly correct except that it’s not a 1940’s reference at all, it’s much much later than that with 600/4 dating it circa late 1980’s.

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts