WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was teaching a business English class and we were doing demographics. I asked for an example of a watch which a poor man would buy. Without a moment's hesitation one of my students said "Casio".
I was a bit surprised given how little you can pay for a genuinely decent watch around here....and how many you can pick up for under 100 yuan. I'd love to know just how Casio still manages to be viewed in this way, given that it produces a massive range of very well-made models up to $1,500. And how on earth do they upscale their image? Just stop making anything under a certain price? (say $350?)\
I assume (and hope) they're not in financial trouble, but it does seem very unfair that this image should stick.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
The average non-enthusiast doesn't know what parnis is

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Their image is what it is because they do make a ton of cheap watches. Once you're pigeon holed, it's tough to change that perception.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Casio made their name by building good products at a low price point. It's what enabled them to come out atop the calculator war and what enabled them to begin producing watches in the first place. They're not in trouble.

·
Registered
19,512 Posts
I think Casio still enjoys some very profitable market segments like China, India, South-East Asia, Africa, South America... with combined population of around 2 billions people, if only 5% of this population wear a 100 yuan ($15) Casio watch the annual production would be around 100 millions units. Casio is unlikely to be able to make that huge quantity so there still is rooms for another watchmakers (be it genuine or fake).

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Their image is what it is because they do make a ton of cheap watches. Once you're pigeon holed, it's tough to change that perception.
Agree. I don't think Casio would disagree. But what they make (low cost , reliable) satisfies poor folks and RICH folks alike and I don't think Casio cares about the "cheap" perception, as long as they continue to sell millions of products without a hitch.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The other day I was teaching a business English class and we were doing demographics. I asked for an example of a watch which a poor man would buy. Without a moment's hesitation one of my students said "Casio".
I was a bit surprised given how little you can pay for a genuinely decent watch around here....and how many you can pick up for under 100 yuan. I'd love to know just how Casio still manages to be viewed in this way, given that it produces a massive range of very well-made models up to $1,500. And how on earth do they upscale their image? Just stop making anything under a certain price? (say $350?)\
I assume (and hope) they're not in financial trouble, but it does seem very unfair that this image should stick.
They should send a watch to Mars via rocket. Sending a watch to a planet= a badass horology feat.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
if it weren't for G-Shocks and Pathfinders, Casio would be less interesting than Invicta: just cheap well made plastic. It's because of their G-Shock/Pathfinder lines they're as important horologically as Rolex and Omega.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
When I read the topic headline it got me thinking about a film i watched years ago.

It was Planes,trains and automobiles.

The part where Steve Martin is trying to get a room in a motel and ends up giving the guy an expensive watch (cant remember the name) and some cash, and the guy accepts this.

Then it's John Candy's turn, he says i have a few dollars in loose change and a CASIO (rubs it over his wrist like a salesman), and the motel keeper says "I think i'm gonna have to ask you to leave".

Very funny but also gave the idea that Casios are cheap mens watches.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There is quite a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive." Based on my experience, I would classify Casio as inexpensive.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I think even the iconic and famous G-shock is a cheap watch.
Why?

Plastic band, plastic case. Awful fit/finish.
The only part of some interest is the ICU.

Bact to OP's uery:

Underrated? Some German brands are underrated. I am thinking mainly of Sinn.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Casio like Timex are giants in the watch industry, the big names can only watch in envy from a sales numbers standpoint. Let's face it... you get the same result no matter what you spend, accurate "enough" time keeping.... the full perspective as I see it.

By the way, adding an uncommon G-Shock to the collection soon, I love spending surplus airmiles!! :-!:-!

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
There is quite a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive." Based on my experience, I would classify Casio as inexpensive.
I have to agree with that.

I have two Casios that are very excellent values for the money. I would not call my MDV102 or G-Shock "cheap". Were they inexpensive? Yes. The fit and finish are far from stellar. But the execution of the watches is excellent. Furthermore, I trust the claims and ratings of these watches that I otherwise wouldn't from most other manufacturers in the same price range.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't see your student's reply as looking down on Casio. I see this as a preference for Casio over other no-name brands. That is a praise for Casio. If you have limited means, and need an inexpensive and reliable watch, what better choice than a Casio?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,261 Posts

That is not an opinion of The Chinese, it is only the opinion of One Chinese and a student at that. From what you have written so far I don't see evidence of them needing to move to an upscale image nor do I see those comments providing any evidence of them being in financial trouble. I think that you are reading way way too much into one comment of one student. I would not expect that all watch consumers to have the same information or opinion about Casio watches that a group of watch collectors do. It is clear that Casio has been quite successful in a variety of markets.

You asked what watch would a poor man would buy. Your student gave a reasonable response by effectively saying that an inxpensive Casio would be a good choice. I don't understand your comments about Casio at all.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Casio made a name for themselves selling lower cost consumer electronics - calculators and then watches being the two biggest sellers. In the same way Rolex have got a name as a 'luxury' watch, so do Casio as a 'budget' watch.

I think the proof is in how they market and brand the higher end lines - somewhat less emphasis on the 'Casio' part of the name, and rather a lot more on the 'G Shock', 'Pathfinder' or 'Ediface'. So in that way Casio make the cheap watches, while Casio Ediface make the nicer ones...

A fact of life, cheaper consumer electronics is where they made their money, which is what they are rightfully known as, and they shall forever fight trying to prove themselves as a more premium manufacturer.

Toyota make some great basic cars, but despite being the same company, the higher end stuff seems to have a Lexus badge instead... The Veyron is a Bugatti, despite being the brainchild and dream of the head of VW... How many more examples would you like?

·
Registered
526 Posts
That is not an opinion of The Chinese, it is only the opinion of One Chinese and a student at that. From what you have written so far I don't see evidence of them needing to move to an upscale image nor do I see those comments providing any evidence of them being in financial trouble. I think that you are reading way way too much into one comment of one student. I would not expect that all watch consumers to have the same information or opinion about Casio watches that a group of watch collectors do. It is clear that Casio has been quite successful in a variety of markets.

You asked what watch would a poor man would buy. Your student gave a reasonable response by effectively saying that an inxpensive Casio would be a good choice. I don't understand your comments about Casio at all.
That is a really good point. Also, "Even the Chinese"? That's treading the derogatory line.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm living in China at the moment and I can tell you "even the Chinese" is based on constant daily experience of millions of people who are prepared or perhaps more accurately forced to buy things of such low quality that no Westerner would even consider them. Compared to these products, a Pathfinder is a month's salary or more and still they're considered downmarket.

·
Registered
453 Posts
That is a really good point. Also, "Even the Chinese"? That's treading the derogatory line.
+1 derogatory line. China is a big player now like it or not. The frightening thing is that most of these watches are made in China. Maybe your students know something we do not.

I do not see the comment bad for Casio. Like someone else said above, they are probably confusing Cheap with Inexpensive, a common mistake.

If you ask people about a cheap car, many would respond with a Toyota Corolla, not because it is bad, but it is cheap compared to Mercedes, BMW, Ferari, ...etc. It just happens that Toyota is more famous and therefore is at the topmost thoughts of the average joe.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm living in China at the moment and I can tell you "even the Chinese" is based on constant daily experience of millions of people who are prepared or perhaps more accurately forced to buy things of such low quality that no Westerner would even consider them. Compared to these products, a Pathfinder is a month's salary or more and still they're considered downmarket.
Hmm okay. I thought you might have meant that they had lower standards. A limited budget doesn't equal lower standards, it might mean you can't get what you want, but it doesn't necessarily create a bias. You might think you have a better perspective living in China- that's your call. You can understand why I view it as a bit presumptuous though, right?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts