WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So you think you know about watches. At least enough to hold your ground, and not be a chump if the conversation ever got around to watches. b-)
Supposing you're on a date with a girl (super everything: blond, leggy, smart, charming, elegant, etc), and you're thinking: OMG, how the heck did I end up with HER???

The conversation naturally turned to watches, as you two stroll by a watch store after dinner. She sez she likes watches! In fact, she adores them! You are like, SCH~~WINNG!!!!!:p

So, trying hard not to choke with excitement on your own saliva, you spout off *casually* a few lines about how you like AP over Rolexes; Ulysses Nardin is not too shabby; Patek is overrated; how you prefer some of the more obscure micro brands. And you drop their names of course. She listens to you babble on as if she is really impressed. And she is, by Jove!

But then, she starts to mop the floor with you about WHY she likes some of the brands she likes, and how the different movements are made, how they work, how she had lunch with Martin Braun the other day, and so on. Assuming that you are also a VERY knowledgeable WIS, she asks for your "highly regarded" opinion about watches you've only heard of, never seen in person, and not sure how to pronounce the name. And they ALL cost more than your annual salary. :-x

What do you do? Do you feel intimidated? More in love? Ask her out again? Or admit that she's outta your league, and bow out?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm tellin Ray. And GinGin.
That wasn't very "family".

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Seriously though to answer your question, It is an advantage in a relationship to have mutual likes and dislikes and nothing says the male in the species has to be the more learned one. My stepdaughter is a gemoligist and thus in the jewelry business, which also puts her in the watch business. She is very in tune to watches and every time we see each other we do one of those "I will show you mine and you show me yours" things.
It also ocassionally gets me good deals...LOL.

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
You say "teach me.."

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, let me agree that the male of the species does NOT have to be the more learned one.
But, this watch thing is massively dominated by males in terms of design, production and obsession, if not sales and consumption per capita.

I mean, the WUS membership is certainly an indication of that.
I can imagine myself just shrugging it off while, being impressed, if a woman I was interested in knew more about how brain surgery is done, or how handbags are made, or how diamonds are cut.
But watches? Don't we males consider this "our" territory?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,614 Posts
If I was dating I would look forward to discussions about watches and a lot of other things while treating one another with respect. In your example the guy was coming off initially as trying to intimidate with superior knowlege. And she retorted. Not a good start.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
First, let me agree that the male of the species does NOT have to be the more learned one.
But, this watch thing is massively dominated by males in terms of design, production and obsession, if not sales and consumption per capita.

I mean, the WUS membership is certainly an indication of that.
I can imagine myself just shrugging it off while, being impressed, if a woman I was interested in knew more about how brain surgery is done, or how handbags are made, or how diamonds are cut.
But watches? Don't we males consider this "our" territory?
Yes we do, but things are a changing. I am 60 and when I grew up mom stayed home and cooked, now there are stay at home dads. When you were going to the doctor it was a he. Think about it, judge, accountant, policeman, astranaut, mechanic, etc. these were all masculine words. Today when one says nurse it could be a man or a woman. Heck look at all the TV and magazine pictures, notice all the woman wearing those big masculine watches. My wife, a proper brought up "feminine" woman - likes to wear my watches.
The only thing I can say is woman are lucky when it comes to watches....They can wear a womans watch or a mans watch and get away with it....they get to have twice as much fun....I'm jealous.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
What a great question. Nice job, OP.

To be honest: Since I live in NYC, where fashion rules, absolutely. Before I got married, I once dated this woman who went on to a great acting career, and she seemed to know everything there was to know about watches; learned it during an unfortunate shopping trip where I kinda overspent...Mauboussin & Cartier...ahh, romance! :)

·
Registered
14,022 Posts
(super everything: blond, leggy, smart, charming, elegant, etc)
This is enough of a reason to ask her out again! The watch stuff is a bonus, unless she's buying all those watches on credit. In that case see if she has a more fiscally minded sister whose also leggy.

What do you do? Do you feel intimidated? More in love? Ask her out again? Or admit that she's outta your league, and bow out?
If you want to succeed with the ladies you have to believe that no woman is out of your league. Do that and you'll even surprise yourself. Now go line up another date and report back. Remember...
Simpson Pics or didn't happen.jpg

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is enough of a reason to ask her out again! The watch stuff is a bonus, unless she's buying all those watches on credit. In that case see if she has a more fiscally minded sister whose also leggy.
If you want to succeed with the ladies you have to believe that no woman is out of your league. Do that and you'll even surprise yourself. Now go line up another date and report back.
Oh, I am not saying I am in that situation! I'm kinda done dating, if ya know waddamean. ;)
But you're AB-SO-LOO-T'LY right about having that attitood. I did, and it got me the most beautiful women in the world to marry me. Talk about the Beauty and the Beast, sheesh. The Lord is merciful.
Anyhoo,
This imaginary scenario was inspired after talking to someone about some scenes from a Japanese movie (Tampopo) in which a group of stuffed shirt execs go out to a French restaurant, and while pretending to know the menu, they don't know squat, and so order whatever the waiter recommends, the price being no object. Same for the wine.
Then - and this is the hilarious part - a lowly new hire timidly raises his hand to ask a question about the wine, and it gets more and more obscure and pedantic, getting into even the origin of the grape seeds!, when they were culled, etc. The new guy was a walking encyclopaedia about wines and French cooking! I think he ends up ordering fish & chips or something.

·
Banned
626 Posts
Great movie, nice thread.

While I never had a GF who knew more about watches than I did in the beginning, I had a GF who I convinced to become a watchmaker apprentice/student. So now she definitely knows more than I do.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
I would not like it. Best to keep your worlds separated. It is disasterous when worlds collide.
cottontop

·
Registered
357 Posts
Isn't this the type of question that a bunch of dateless geeks ask while playing D & D on Saturday night? :think:
I take exception to this; I'm a gamer (Not D&D, but other RPG's, both online and tabletop) and I have a fiancée who easily qualifies as 'hot.' :)

Back on topic, my fiancée is starting to become a watch junkie herself, especially since my watch wardrobe outdoes hers. :)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts