WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to the vintage watch game, and I'm learning all the time. Sometimes while in bed, I take a jaunt through that bidding site most of us peruse.

I can't tell you how many times I've put in a winning bid on something, then later have done some research, or recently posted to this category forum, and wish I hadn't bid on the item at all. At those times I am overjoyed to receive the email that I've been outbid which gets me off the hook. It just happened again now on some old watch that at the time looked appealing but that I hadn't properly vetted. With the help of some forum members, I was put straight.

This forum is such a great resource. Next time I'll research and ask some questions before considering a bid!

·
Banned
238 Posts
I'm currently hoping I get outbid on something I bid on last night (although its pretty cheap...just not cheap enough). But, I was a little tipsy. I'm also new to this. Its SO EASY to see something and say "ooh, I want that!" I'm trying to calm down. But you're not alone.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
A few times....at live auctions too. The thought creeps in..."Oh shoot...It is not worth that much"....Then the next bid and they are stuck with the train wreck I almost bought.

I just bought this one on a bid last night. I had a whole 30 seconds to decided to buy it and my bit it at 1 second to the end...then I read the description LOL No mention of alarm. No real mention if it works at all.

So I hope I can fix the band. I hope it just needs a clean. I hope the alarm works. I hope it...well....is worth the $11 I paid with shipping.

s-l1600 (16).jpg

s-l1600 (17).jpg

s-l1600 (18).jpg

s-l1600 (19).jpg

s-l1600 (20).jpg

The title....

Watch Hudson 17 Jewels Incabloc Kraisler .025 Gold Content Swiss Waterproof 2008

The description......

Broken band. Looks fixable but not by me, all thumbs. I tried to get all the marks in the photos. It winds up and does work if it’s moving ..? Has numbers engraved 356852. Might just be a scrap piece. Not sure what the .025 gold content means or where it is. The plastic cover is also broken as shown in photos

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Mostly I don't bid until the last 5 seconds, so it all happens in a flash. But yes, even so, sometimes I'm ambivalent, and I'm a bit relieved when I don't win. Equally often I'm sorry that I didn't bid more.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
LOL, yup. Been there when I can finally exhale and say phew. On the other hand it's rare and nice sometimes to be the only bidder. Then you've got the dreaded one click away Buy It Now. Really tough to turn that one around.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Under certain circumstances you can cancel your bid. As a seller, I've also had people contact me and ask to have their bid cancelled. I've done that too, but it can't happen in the last few minutes of an auction

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm pretty new to the vintage watch game, and I'm learning all the time. Sometimes while in bed, I take a jaunt through that bidding site most of us peruse.

I can't tell you how many times I've put in a winning bid on something, then later have done some research, or recently posted to this category forum, and wish I hadn't bid on the item at all. At those times I am overjoyed to receive the email that I've been outbid which gets me off the hook. It just happened again now on some old watch that at the time looked appealing but that I hadn't properly vetted. With the help of some forum members, I was put straight.

This forum is such a great resource. Next time I'll research and ask some questions before considering a bid!

Its called Bay-polar disorder and the symptoms are:

When you place a bid you think "may be i shouldn't have bid so much". When you loose the auction especially only by one bid you think "If only I had bid a little higher".

Unfortunately theres no cure for it.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Under certain circumstances you can cancel your bid. As a seller, I've also had people contact me and ask to have their bid cancelled. I've done that too, but it can't happen in the last few minutes of an auction
Yes, I did this once, and the seller was very gracious about it. But the sooner the better, right?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
@thoth. .025 gold I believe is 1/40 gold filled which is basically rolled gold plate (rgp) I've seen them as 10k or 12k. The full bands without the Stsinless bottoms more often are 12k in my experience. I think bands like that are pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
That's why I use a sniping service. You can cancel the snipe right up until the service places the bid, without it affecting your standing on Ebay at all, since it's not done through Ebay.

You can also set up bid groups, where you have snipes planned on several items, but winning any cancels snipes on subsequent auctions. So, you might see a couple things you want, but you can only afford to buy one of them. Or you might see several different auctions for similar pieces - say, 3 listings for the same model of watch. If you bid on Ebay on all of them, you might actually win all of them and be stuck paying for them.

I decide how much I'm willing to pay, set up the snipe for 4 seconds before the close, and stop paying attention to the auction. The snipe service I use will let you know 90 minutes before closing if your bid price has been exceeded, so you have time to raise it, but I never do. If the bid is higher than my snipe an hour and a half before the close, it'll mostly likely go a lot higher.

I win, or I don't. If I don't win, it's because it went for more than I'm willing to pay.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
@thoth. .025 gold I believe is 1/40 gold filled which is basically rolled gold plate (rgp) I've seen them as 10k or 12k. The full bands without the Stsinless bottoms more often are 12k in my experience. I think bands like that are pretty cool.
I am just hoping I can fix it. Funny thing is I saw a rose gold colored one on eBay today just like it. I just don't have any rose gold watches to put one on.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Absolutely.

On more than one occasion I've bid either much more than a watch is worth, much more than I can afford, or both, and then have a minor heart attack until someone outbids me. I've only been burned once or twice.

Have I learned? I'd like to say so, but I'll just say it happens a lot less frequently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts