WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this on the public forum and the replies were very interesting. I'm now interested in having this as an Omega specific topic. Largely because I have two Omega dive watches.

My Ma-in-law commented how foolish it is to wear my Omega Planet Ocean swimming at the beach. It is a treasured watch (40th birthday gift). I explain it's a divers watch and specifically deigned for the ocean.

A few weeks later I went swimming with some of my friends and one was not wearing his newish Seamaster in the ocean. He said something about damaging and loosing it.

Has anyone actually lost a Omega in the sea/water?

I'm a firm believer in wearing a diver watch in the sea - what it was designed and intended for. BUT I have to admit, after reading some of the stories on the public form, I have second thoughts. It seems the springbars are the achilles heel.

For those interested, these are the public forum replies:

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
A friend of mine lost a submariner on a Ringo ride in Spain. He was freaked out for days. He thought his wife was winding him up about it. He got off the ride and his wife said "where is your watch?" it took him a couple of days to come to terms with it. At some point a lucky diver may well find that watch.

I wear all my watches in the sea and never had a problem. My other half does the same thing with her Seamaster which never leaves her wrist. She wore it for 12+ years without a service so those spring bars and watch were fully tested for durability. She could dent a ball bearing she's so clumsy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm new to this game and don't have a lot of knowledge, though I'm working on gaining some by reading through a lot of posts on this forum. A good friend of mine has been in this world for much longer and his suggestion is to get OEM spring bars from an AD (or wherever) and change them out periodically. You could also look into single pass NATO type straps. If one spring bar fails the watch head stays on your wrist (albeit flopping around).

Full disclosure... I haven't read the other thread you mention so I apologize if this is a repeat.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Personally I wouldn't, i'd wear a Casio or some other watch under $500 coz even if I lose or damage a Casio i'll be sad about it. OMEGA and Rolex watches (among others) are no longer tool watches they are luxury watches and a status simple, sure you can use them for diving but why would you risk it if there are cheaper alternatives !?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I always wear my watches swimming and diving without any second thoughts. It’s in the water that owning the (dive)watch makes me most excited about it.

Of course, there’s always the tiny possibility that something might happen but if you live by that logic you might as well not leave the house as you may get hit by a bus and die.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I haven't ever lost a watch on land, sea or air but I guess swimming in the ocean would do it more than any other way for me. What a disappointment it would be to come up without your watch!

I've been swimming in the ocean a few times a month for many years and I've worn various Doxa, Tags, Seamasters Rolex Subs, Seikos while doing so. I think that sometimes I swam just to put them through their job description more than for my desire to swim.
But after reading a lot of stories about lost watches, I decided I have proven just how sea worthy my watches are and there is no need to push my luck.
I wear an older Invicta 8526?, (the one with the Miyota movement that doesn't hack or hand wind) that I paid a whopping $40 for in 2005 (one of my most reliable and tough beater watches BTW). I just need to know how long I've been in the water. No depth meters or 1000m water resistance needed. That watch does the job accurate enough to satisfy me and if I come up for air without it I won't have to hire a search crew to find it. I'll just buy another and hope it finds a good home with whomever finds it.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I posted this on the public forum and the replies were very interesting. I'm now interested in having this as an Omega specific topic. Largely because I have two Omega dive watches.

My Ma-in-law commented how foolish it is to wear my Omega Planet Ocean swimming at the beach. It is a treasured watch (40th birthday gift). I explain it's a divers watch and specifically deigned for the ocean.

A few weeks later I went swimming with some of my friends and one was not wearing his newish Seamaster in the ocean. He said something about damaging and loosing it.

I'm a firm believer in wearing a diver watch in the sea - what it was designed and intended for. BUT I have to admit, after reading some of the stories on the public form, I have second thoughts. It seems the springbars are the achilles heel.

Beware of the springbars of the 2531 generation. In one of my Seamasters the bracelet opened and the watch fell (luckily on the couch). Had to replace the springbars.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I always wear my watches swimming and diving without any second thoughts. It’s in the water that owning the (dive)watch makes me most excited about it.

Of course, there’s always the tiny possibility that something might happen but if you live by that logic you might as well not leave the house as you may get hit by a bus and die.
Looking at the public forums responses - watches being lost is more common than people being hit by a bus - at least in 1st world countries.

But

I do get what your saying - i always wore mine yet now having second thoughts. Money is one thing, yet both of my Seamasters are very sentimental. The SMP is the watch that started my WIS journey and the PO is a 40 birthday gift from my wife (which she let me choose). I'd be pretty devastated if I lost either one.

Maybe the TAG should be my beach watch - I really like it but this one has no sentimental association.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beware of the springbars of the 2531 generation. In one of my Seamasters the bracelet opened and the watch fell (luckily on the couch). Had to replace the springbars.
Thanks for the tip. I did have them replaced by Omega this year - boutique sent me some gratis when I where to buy them from.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't wear my expensive watches to the beach, .
I know they were made to be water resistant, I don't want to risk losing several thousands of $ because a spring bar fails.
While the springbar situation can be avoided with a nato strap (which I don't like wearing), I also don't want salt deposits and dirt under my bezel or risk scratching the case on sand.
The risks just outweigh the benefits and there's nothing an expensive dive watch can do that a cheap and disposable casio beater can't do and that's why I don't wear my expensive watches for the short time I'm at the beach ...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looking at the public forums responses - watches being lost is more common than people being hit by a bus - at least in 1st world countries.

But

I do get what your saying - i always wore mine yet now having second thoughts. Money is one thing, yet both of my Seamasters are very sentimental. The SMP is the watch that started my WIS journey and the PO is a 40 birthday gift from my wife (which she let me choose). I'd be pretty devastated if I lost either one.

Maybe the TAG should be my beach watch - I really like it but this one has no sentimental association.
It’s not about the statistics but about the mindset, if you want you can worry yourself to death about the smallest issues :)

And about the losing watches thing, unless it’s very deep or troubled water I would actually prefer to lose my watch in the water then have it fall of my wrist on land and hitting the concrete. I’ve known several people losing their watch (not the luxury kind) in the water and retrieving it again even on the next day.

At the end of the day, anything can happen. And if you want to be extra safe you can always use a nato strap. That one has saved my from losing my watch once when getting into my scuba gear while on a boat and breaking one of the spring bars.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You could also look into single pass NATO type straps.
Perlon straps. They don't stretch out in the water like most NATO/RAF straps, and they're single pass so you'd really have to smack something to lose both spring bars and the watch head. Also good for travel where a thief my try the twist and go maneuver, says my friend who gave me the idea.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
A watch in good nick is not a statistical concern. At least not more than any other risk you probably regularly take without thought.

But, why ruin your good time thinking about it. If it's going to bother you, swap to a cheap watch and enjoy the water.

·
Registered
12,822 Posts

if you found one.......its mine. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts