WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have not lost a watch but have heard of several who di their lose the watch during some sports activity. When my divers go into the ocean, I add new spring bars and a NATO strap goes on. Simple as that.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It’s not about the statistics but about the mindset, if you want you can worry yourself to death about the smallest issues :)
Quite agreed. Prior to his 50th birthday, my Dad had a healthy collection of affordable watches he had accumulated for himself, but he had never taken the plunge into buying himself a 'really nice watch'. For his 50th, my mother and I went halfsies to get him a Rolex Submariner. He absolutely loved it, but for the first 6-7 months, he was absolutely baby-ing that watch. To the point where, when we went on group hikes in the summer, he left it at home and switched to cheap Casio, cause he didn't want to risk damaging it. I had to remind him that it is first, and foremost, a tool watch and designed to handle some level of abuse. Secondly, I had to remind him that the watch was his, and he needed to enjoy it, not spend every moment worrying about it. Now, he only keeps it aside if he is travelling to specific parts of the world where he would rather not have it conspicuously standing out on his wrist. Otherwise, that watch is getting properly used. Some time in the future, it will probably be passed down in the family, and when it does, it most definitely will NOT be 'like new' :)

·
Premium Member
39,876 Posts
Nope. The only watch I take in the water is my Seiko.

Cheap and easy to replace if it goes swimming or diving on it’s own…..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Only after the watch is insured.
Financial pinch aside, if i lost my sentimental watch, i would be an immature kid who would need to replace with the closest identical to fill the void and somehow cope w/ it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I totally get those that state these watches are born for ocean going activities. If I was a diver, I might wear my Seamaster as it would make sense. I've worn it on the boat a few times but there are other tools that make more sense. More times than not, I end up wearing a G Shock with a tide reading. I'm always wondering what the tide is doing and it's extremely helpful whether I'm anchored out on a sand bar and need to adjust the boat as not to get stranded or if I'm out surfing and wondering where the best break is going to be.

Dive watches for diving? Sure. But being in the ocean doesn't always constitute the need for a dive watch.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My strap is the original Omega OEM - strap and springbars and all. It has never failed me.

I have dived at the Great Barrier Reef, Dominican Republic, west coast of Canada with my Seamaster Planet Ocean.
Every trip we go to Hawaii, i swim in the ocean with it.

There's nothing more satisfying than being underwater and looking at the watch dial, the seconds hand ticking away nicely underwater. A diving watch was meant to be underwater and for me it fully justifies the price of it when it's being used for what it was designed for :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
My Ma-in-law commented how foolish it is to wear my Omega Planet Ocean swimming at the beach. It is a treasured watch (40th birthday gift). I explain it's a divers watch and specifically deigned for the ocean.
I agree with your explanation.
I wonder if your mother-in-law thinks it is foolish to wear a wetsuit in the ocean? Should you avoid wearing flippers, because they might fall off?

Your Omega Planet Ocean was made to swim the oceans and that is where it belongs. It would be just plain cruel to keep to keep it imprisoned on dry land.

Cheers,
Packleader

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I have not yet lost a watch in the ocean, lake, or river, and I have worn watches in the water for about 30 years. It's not as if people who dive a lot wear something different.

Rare failures are possible. i recall someone who lost a dive watch when the clasp opened up while he was windsurfing. Years ago, I tried to swap a Seiko stock rubber strap onto a different brand, and it didn't work. Every time the strap moved a certain way, it pushed against the watch case and put enough pressure on the spring bar to pop it loose. seems to me that if the strap or bracelet fits your omega well, should be fine.

There are also better mousetraps. screw bars, for example. some watches, and some aftermarket lugs like the ones i have on a citizen bj8050-08E (ecozilla), the bars need to be screwed in. they won't come out as easily, though the vast majority of spring bars are more than up to the task.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I used to wear my Omega SMP 300m (on OEM rubber strap) while swimming in the ocean and even on a scuba dive in Australia without a second thought. Today I would probably put it on a NATO as my taste has changed a bit.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If you must wear it in the ocean, make sure you rinse it with fresh water as soon as possible after exiting the ocean / swimming pool.

There are two schools of thought on dive watches:

1. Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead! Mostly heard from people who will wear their expensive dive watch to the beach and let the sand grind away at their watch's bracelet. I have a friend who wore his Rolex GMT Master for +/- 50 years, it was beat to hell, but he wore it every day at work, at sport, at anything. Had it serviced twice in those +/- 50 years. He simply didn't care. It was a tool to be used as a tool.

2. Safe Queens... People who will keep the Omega/Rolex/SeaQ safe / in a safe at home and go swimming with a TAG / Steinhart / Invicta / Vostok and simply not care as they are inexpensive to replace.

Up to you what you want to do. If the watch was "special" to me, I might not us it as GADA... My beater is a Steinhart Ocean One... But then again, my Omega is a Speedy, so not dive rated ;)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Let me begin by saying no I've never lost an Omega or expensive watch in the water. I just thought I'd respond because I had an interesting conversation with my insurance provider. I have two Omegas, both insured- the latest seamaster diver (with 300m of water resistance) and the Speedmaster racing 40mm (with 100m water resistance). When I insured the speedmaster I said I was doing so in case I went swimming with it and lost it (amongst other things). He told me to take it off if I go swimming!!! What's the point of the insurance then??? 🙄

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
My dad has.

He says it was a spring bar failure. But I think it was the clasp since I noticed before how little resistance/tension there seemed to be when opening and closing.
I have also had water damage on another watch that was less than 5 years old (Since it was fairly new I did not bother to get the seals checked) and rated at 150m water resistance.

All in all, replacing one watch and repairing another, I have spent around 3000 euros (Omega was less expensive when this happened) because of wearing watches in the ocean. That is enough for me. It's not that I think it is likely both things will happen again. They probably would not. But because of these experiences it would be something I would worry about. I can take away that worry by simply not taking my watches into the water.

I am otherwise not precious about my watches at all. Hiking, horseriding, and all other outdoor activity are fine. I don't even have a watch case, they just sit in a drawer. And none of my watches after a few years of wear look anywhere near as pristine as 90% of the wristshots on this site. My Omega Seamaster 300 is pretty much an everyday beater. I say that respectfully. I don't beat it up intentionally but I do wear it whether I am cleaning my car, or picking dirt out of horse hooves. It is just that those activities have never led to any problems other than "regular wear".

·
Registered
539 Posts
I understand it's not something that can be substantiated. Interesting to see how many people here experienced springbar failure.

I for one haven't.
I have seen where the springbar was so rusty/crud -encrusted that it was barely holding the bracelet on to the watch. With enough movement of the bracelet, the ends of the springbar could be compressed and it could have easily failed.

Another weak point on older Omegas (especially the bond style bracelet) are the bracelet pins....with heavy wear, the pins don't hold the collars snugly and it is very possible for a pin to slip out by itself. Happened to me once as I lifted my arm and the watch literally flew across the room.

In both cases, I think cleanliness goes a long way to slow the wear on these components.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
I have seen where the springbar was so rusty/crud -encrusted that it was barely holding the bracelet on to the watch. With enough movement of the bracelet, the ends of the springbar could be compressed and it could have easily failed.

Another weak point on older Omegas (especially the bond style bracelet) are the bracelet pins....with heavy wear, the pins don't hold the collars snugly and it is very possible for a pin to slip out by itself. Happened to me once as I lifted my arm and the watch literally flew across the room.

In both cases, I think cleanliness goes a long way to slow the wear on these components.
Also, regular maintenance helps. People always think of service intervals recommended by manufacturers as just about the movement, but they are about the whole watch.

Regular servicing will result in the movement being serviced, plus the seals in the case being exchanged, the spring bars replaced, and the pins/tubes in the bracelets being checked and replaced if loose.

I've also removed plenty of spring bars from watches where the spring bar just falls apart when it's removed. These are never spring bars that have just been in there for a few years - they have been in use for very long periods of time.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I didn't realise Michael Jordan wears Omega.

Michael Jordan can replace them without feeling any financial pinch ;)
Absolutely @anonymousmoose. Thats why he chose to wear a PO at that time. For his scale and pay grade at that time and I suppose until now, its no big of a deal. However, if it were to happen to any of us, thats going to hurt a lot and for quite some time.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts