WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fully realize that wrist bone size does not change much in the near term nor shouldn't be affected dramatically by weight, but I have a minor concern.

I've got an Aquis thats nearly 46mm in diameter. It looks the part. Theres no tiny L2L or whatever to save me. This thing is massive. However I've grown accustomed to wearing it.

I need to make some lifestyle changes that will (from experience) cause me to lose some weight, which is the intent. I'll be significantly changing my strength training sessions eschewing isolation exercises with weights to less frequent compound lifts, and switching to mostly yoga and cardio. That with less calories and sugar. I'm aiming for the neighborhood of 25 to 30 lbs loss.

I'm 5'9" and 195 lbs give or take and I'm concerned that this Aquis is going to look and feel ridiculous once I hit a 20lb deficit (and even worse after). I've got a relatively bulky frame now; in the past I've gone down 20lbs and have had people I know pass me in parties and fail to recognize me, so there's a good amount of body comp and facial changes there, but my main concern is how a 46mm watch is gonna look and feel on a 5'9", 167 or so lb frame.

Has anyone gone through anything similar, or have a similar weight/frame with a "large" watch now? I don't really care what others might think but if it would end up looking cartoonishly large to ME then...

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not, however I wouldn't let something like this discourage you from making a positive change. Worst case, you can always trade the 46mm aquis off for a 42mm one or something.

Best of luck on your weight loss.
Thanks much, definitely a change thats a long time coming. Lot of egos in young guys to retain muscular size and strength. Getting into mid-age, I need to play the long game with my health. I love the Aquis and don't mind wearing it NOW but the planner in me is wanting to walk over to the AD here and flip to something smaller just in case. Don't want any more flipping regrets. :)

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,451 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the small stuff now. I will might keep you from an important lifestyle change. I really doubt you will notice a difference in how a watch fits. If it does then deal with it later.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't worry about the small stuff now. I will might keep you from an important lifestyle change. I really doubt you will notice a difference in how a watch fits. If it does then deal with it later.
Deal with it later is always an option. I suppose the AD will still be there with smaller watches if the time comes. I just have to be a little more careful with a "possible" flip. Gotta keep a G-Shock staged in my bag!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Get lighter, healthier and increase your fitness level. You'll enjoy life more and in all likelihood will extend your lifespan.

Who cares about the watch? Buy a new one if it's that important to you.

Good luck with your new health goal.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Get lighter, healthier and increase your fitness level. You'll enjoy life more and in all likelihood will extend your lifespan.

Who cares about the watch? Buy a new one if it's that important to you.

Good luck with your new health goal.
Thanks bud! On my way!

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't had this problem with watches but pants? Fuhgeddiboudit!
LOL! I got a box that's been bound for Goodwill for the last year. Maybe it's a good thing I never got around to it, those Levi's should start fitting again after I'm down 17 lbs.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I go up and down in weight about a stone between less activety in winter and more in summer. Not really much change in how I feel about the way big watches look but I do have to fiddle with sizing bracelets a bit at the micro adjustments on the clasp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I go up and down in weight about a stone between less activety in winter and more in summer. Not really much change in how I feel about the way big watches look but I do have to fiddle with sizing bracelets a bit at the micro adjustments on the clasp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hm, I never even attributed that to activity but I can see that especially after a variance of a stone. I fiddle with the micro adjustments up to taking out a link here and there just based on the weather.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
For those not conversant in "proper English". a stone weighs 14 lbs, or 6.35 KG. :rolleyes:

Reactions: watchyourself

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have recently lost about 29 lbs, and I don't see any big difference with my wrist size. I noticed some physical changes around my face/neck, chest, and waist. My body shows muscle loss in arms/legs, but I didn't see much of a change in my wrist. It may be different for your case since we all have different body structure, but watches that I got before the weight loss looked fine on me. Worst case scenario, you can sell your watch and get a better fitted one. Good luck on your weight loss.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hm, I never even attributed that to activity but I can see that especially after a variance of a stone. I fiddle with the micro adjustments up to taking out a link here and there just based on the weather.
That's me too. It's not gaining or losing weight in the wrist, it's the daily fluctuations and heat/activities. I often make an adjustment but it's times like these a strap is more helpful than a bracelet. At least the bracelets I own.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have recently lost about 29 lbs, and I don't see any big difference with my wrist size. I noticed some physical changes around my face/neck, chest, and waist. My body shows muscle loss in arms/legs, but I didn't see much of a change in my wrist. It may be different for your case since we all have different body structure, but watches that I got before the weight loss looked fine on me. Worst case scenario, you can sell your watch and get a better fitted one. Good luck on your weight loss.
Wow, if that was an intentional 29 lb loss then congratulations. And that's super helpful anecdotal experience, thank you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow, if that was an intentional 29 lb loss then congratulations. And that's super helpful anecdotal experience, thank you.
Yeah it was intentional, and I did it mostly through calorie restriction, intermittent fasting, and cardio. Do your own research to see what works for you. One thing I would recommend is focus on your eating habits since I think diet plays a bigger role than working out. For me, diet is 70% and exercise is 30%.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed on all fronts. The calorie and sugar restriction and macros are a big part of it. Fitness is huge, but the problem for me is being insanely hungry after pushing massive weight. For some reason Yoga doesn't leave me as famished as weights or cardio but the calorie burn is decent.

Now I'm thinking of power walking to the AD to look at some LEs!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts