WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have recently purchased an Omega Seamaster 300 NOS from an eBay seller. It turns out that this watch has been produced/assembled by Watchco in Australia; no papers came with the watch. I have searched on this Forum and see that some of you have mentioned that this watch is known at Omega's and accepted by Omega. Is this correct or have I misunderstood the threads about Watchco watches? I went to an Omega dealer in Amsterdam yesterday and wanted to have the dealer ship my watch to Omega and have it checked up, make it waterproof and especially corret the stem, because the crown is sticking out a bit even if it's screwed down real well...there is a gap between the crown and the watch body; well over 1mm. The dealer told me that they cannot se whether it's a genuine Omega, which I can understand, because the real Seamaster 300 is with Tritium hands for example and mine is Luminova. The lady also told me that when my watch is sent to Omega and should they decide it's a fake then I will not get my watch back. Omega will then keep it if they decide it's a counterfeit. Has any of you ever sent a Watchco Omega to Omega for a service maintenance? Can you tell me whether Omega really accepts these Watchco Omega's as genuine Omega?
Have I purchased a fake Omega?
I hope someone can shed a light on this matter. Mnay thanks in advance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not sure about sending the watch to omega, I'm sure someone on here will be along shortly who will be about to help. As for if its fake, I'd post some pictures of the watch, without them the experts on here will have little chance of sussing out if it fake or real.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I believe Omega fully recognizes the Watcho SM300s since they're made of all NOS Omega parts, plus a vintage movement... there are no "fake" parts involved. I'm sure another SM300 owner or two will chime in to confirm.

Having said all that, a competent watchmaker can make the repairs/adjustments you're requesting; shortening the stem and pressure testing it is a piece of cake. That may just be easier and will most certainly be cheaper.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Watchco refers to its Seamaster 300 as case reference 166.0324. Inquiring this reference in the Omega Tradition database (it required registration on Omega website, too bad i can't find this anymore on their website :-s) you get this info:

"This reference is considered as an after sales item since 1999-2000 and doesn't consequently belong to our International Collection. It is related to a modern watchhead, crown, dial, hands and case back for the Seamaster 300 Series from the 60's (ref. ST 165.024 of cal. 550 or 552 and ST 166.024 of cal. 565). The reason is that no watch heads were available anymore for these two watch styles and that we had then to create some new to guarantee the after sales service for such watch styles. Of course, the movement corresponding to ref. 166.0324 should always be a "vintage" movement related to the Seamaster 300 Series from the 60's."

So i'd say the Watchco SM300 will be recognized as an original Omega watch as long as it fits an original movement.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
As indicated by others in this thread, Omega fully recognizes this watch and lists it in their database.

Importantly, I have had my watch examined and tested by the service department at the Omega store in NYC. This service was excellent and the issue of the watch being a Watchco was never mentioned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many many thanks all for your replies. Joe, the Omega dealer I went to does not have their own service/repair department. They do have for Rolexes. I guess I have to find a dealer with an own service department or a watchmaker that does service and repairs. I was hoping I could send to Omega and have them authenticate my Watchco Seamaster on paper as well, in case I decide to sell the watch in the future. Anyway, am happy enough with your replies, give me hope a watchmaker, like Amsterdam Watch Company could do the job of shortening the stem and pressure test it.
Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.