WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this post belongs here or not. If this is mistake, please excuse me.

I looking to buy a watch to wear everyday. Now I'm wearing a cheap Timex, quartz. (I will keep this as my secondary watch and wear it when I'm doing somethings that could damage a watch)
I've recently learned about mechanical/automatic watches and it amazes me. I want to make the switch from quartz to mechanical. I heard that mechanical watches are less accurate than quartz (generally speaking). Can I find a mechanical watch that has the maximum error around +/- 30s? I want my watch to not be behind or ahead of the actual by more than a minute. Is this possible? (I love the idea of a watch that is working without a battery)
I'm looking for something casual/formal style. I don't want a dive watch or something sporty, because I don't do a lot of sport and I will feel like a fraud. I think I want a classic watch.

The price must under 1000usd;
The thickness of the watch mustn't be greater than 17mm;
The diameter of the watch mustn't be greater than 46mm; (I thinks my timex has 42mm, I wouldn't mind going smaller)
Lug to lug width: standard dimensions; (like 18,20,22; not 17,19,21)
Must come with a metal bracelet;
Functions: hour, minute, *second, *day, date; (I can live without seconds and day of the week, but I will be nice to have them. If I like the watch I will give up date as well)
Mechanism:mechanical/automatic; it must be hand-windable ;
It must have luminous hands.
No bezel.
I don't want a lot of writing on the dial. Ideal case: just the brand name/logo
and maybe automatic/mechanical, but I don't want to see water resistant or another useless thing I already know about the watch.

I will wear this watch for a long time and that is why it has to be close to my definition of a perfect watch.

What I'm considering buying:
  • Orient Star - Retrograde
  • Orient Star - Semi-Skeleton
  • Orient Star - Open-Heart
  • Tissot - Automatic III day date (I think this is my favorite, but is it a good option? Isn't it too elegant?)
  • Seiko5 ( there are lots of options here )
  • Orient Classic Automatic (FFN02004BH)
  • Seiko Classic (recraft ufo )(srpc11k1)
  • Bulova Classic Automatic (96A187)
  • Bulova Classic Automatic (96A118) ( This one has a 24-dial, not sure if I really need one)
  • Orient classic automatic power reserve (FFD0F001B0) (Do I really need a power reserve)
  • Orient automatic contemporany (RA-AR0002B101B)
  • Orient FEZ08002T0 (or the same model with a white dial)

I know Orient has an "In-House" movement and this means that I have to service it in Japan? Every 3-4 year?
Are "In-House" movements worth it or should I go with a ETA?

I live in Romania and as far as I know there is only one authorized dealer [I can post a list with all the brands they have if necessary] (if I buy from them they will service the watch) and there rest is gray market. Would you recommend buying from the gray market?

What do you think about my list?
I would appreciate any watch recommendation.

**I don't think my post count is high enough to post pictures of the watches. I'd have done it if I could.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Can I find a mechanical watch that has the maximum error around +/- 30s? I want my watch to not be behind or ahead of the actual by more than a minute. Is this possible? (I love the idea of a watch that is working without a battery)
I'm looking for something casual/formal style. I don't want a dive watch or something sporty, because I don't do a lot of sport and I will feel like a fraud. I think I want a classic watch.

(...)

I live in Romania and as far as I know there is only one authorized dealer [I can post a list with all the brands they have if necessary] (if I buy from them they will service the watch) and there rest is gray market. Would you recommend buying from the gray market?
Hundreds of options with those specifications. For about 800€ or so I would definitely look at Swiss brands like Mido, Certina, Hamilton, etc. It is absolutely possible to find very accurate mechanical movements in that price range, even some that are officially certified COSC chronometers (maximum average error -4/+6 s/d). Mido Commancer COSC could be an option, but maybe it has too much text on the dial?

BB-M021.431.11.061.01_back.jpg

Buying from the grey market is totally fine if you buy from a dealer in the EU. A 2 year warranty is mandatory, so it makes no big difference to an authorized dealer. The good thing about the Swiss Eta movements is that you can get them serviced everywhere.

Another watch I often recommend as a great allrounder is the Certina DS First. Hamilton Jazzmaster might also be an option (meets your "minimum text" reqirement).

C014.407.11.051.00_002.jpg

hamilton-jazzmaster-automatic-mens-watch-h32715131-a.jpg

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
SARX fails on lume.

OP, a Seiko movement will last 10 years before you have to worry about servicing and you should be able to get any movement serviced locally. You can buy a replacement movement for <$30 and by then you'll be able to swap it in yourself anyway!

Your criteria are very broad and $1000 is a lot of money, but the hope of hitting your one-and-done watch first time is slim. If I were you I would think what you prefer for dial (arabic numerals, baton markers, 3-6-9 like a Rolex Explorer...), hands (stick, sword, mercedes, dauphin...), case shape (crown guards or no, brushed or polished), bracelet style (oyster, president, jubilee, clasp type, brush/polish...). Size is VERY important so try to narrow down to a 2mm range.

There will be a watch that ticks all your criteria, the longer you spend narrowing them down at the start the better will be your purchase!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You have the answer on your list if I may be so bold b-)

Find a Seiko 5 that you like and just get it!
Look after it and it could run for 25 years plus without a service |>
Save a bit of money every month to put by for a replacement, as a service will cost you more than replacing a Seiko 5 unless you learn how to do it for yourself.
Here is a photo of the Seiko 5 my wife bought me last Christmas, it cost £50 in the UK!

WP_20180517_16_54_16_Pro.jpg

The deal period is coming up so keep looking and you will be able to get a great watch for a great price :-!

Best regards,
Jim

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
OP, look at Tisell, they produce a bunch of dress and homage watches that are well-made and well-specced (sapphire, good lume, hi-beat movements etc) from around $200.

But the main reason for buying from Tisell specifically is that all watches arrive regulated for accuracy - I've bought two and both are well within 2 seconds per day. In fact I've listened to one on a timeograph and not only the rate but the beat error are both phenomenally accurate - orders of magnitude better than anything I've managed to attain myself on other watches. You talk a lot about accuracy, and while pretty much every watch should arrive within 30 seconds as you require just as the basic unadjusted factory spec of the movement, a Tisell would be much more accurate because as far as I am aware it's the only affordable brand that regulates prior to sending.

(I suppose you could always take any watch to be regulated, but you'd lose the warranty and risk damage by the watchmaker)

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
SARX fails on lume.

OP, a Seiko movement will last 10 years before you have to worry about servicing and you should be able to get any movement serviced locally. You can buy a replacement movement for <$30 and by then you'll be able to swap it in yourself anyway!

Your criteria are very broad and $1000 is a lot of money, but the hope of hitting your one-and-done watch first time is slim. If I were you I would think what you prefer for dial (arabic numerals, baton markers, 3-6-9 like a Rolex Explorer...), hands (stick, sword, mercedes, dauphin...), case shape (crown guards or no, brushed or polished), bracelet style (oyster, president, jubilee, clasp type, brush/polish...). Size is VERY important so try to narrow down to a 2mm range.

There will be a watch that ticks all your criteria, the longer you spend narrowing them down at the start the better will be your purchase!
Full agree to this.

If lume is aimportant, a traditional pilot's watch could also be an option. They have good lume and often very clean dials. Here's the Archimede Pilot 42. Great quality, sapphire crystal (would be important for me if I intended to wear the watch for 10 years, which rules out Seiko 5s with mineral glass), under 10mm slim, etc.

bildvorlage-pilot42-es_1.jpg

Edit: Sinn 556 could be a great choice, too, but on bracelet it's 1080,-€, so somewhat over budget.

Sinn-556-I-Automatic-Watch-ETA-2824-2-Black-Steel-bracelet-556.010-1_793ffc2b-e5cb-484b-a932-cff.jpg

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't know if this post belongs here or not. If this is mistake, please excuse me.

I looking to buy a watch to wear everyday. Now I'm wearing a cheap Timex, quartz. (I will keep this as my secondary watch and wear it when I'm doing somethings that could damage a watch)
I've recently learned about mechanical/automatic watches and it amazes me. I want to make the switch from quartz to mechanical. I heard that mechanical watches are less accurate than quartz (generally speaking). Can I find a mechanical watch that has the maximum error around +/- 30s? I want my watch to not be behind or ahead of the actual by more than a minute. Is this possible? (I love the idea of a watch that is working without a battery)

The price must under 1000usd;
The thickness of the watch mustn't be greater than 17mm;
The diameter of the watch mustn't be greater than 46mm; (I thinks my timex has 42mm, I wouldn't mind going smaller)
Lug to lug width: standard dimensions; (like 18,20,22; not 17,19,21)
Must come with a metal bracelet;
Functions: hour, minute, *second, *day, date; (I can live without seconds and day of the week, but I will be nice to have them. If I like the watch I will give up date as well)
Mechanism:mechanical/automatic; it must be hand-windable ;
It must have luminous hands.
No bezel.
I don't want a lot of writing on the dial. Ideal case: just the brand name/logo
and maybe automatic/mechanical, but I don't want to see water resistant or another useless thing I already know about the watch.

I will wear this watch for a long time and that is why it has to be close to my definition of a perfect watch.

What I'm considering buying:
  • Orient Star - Retrograde
  • Orient Star - Semi-Skeleton
  • Orient Star - Open-Heart
  • Tissot - Automatic III day date (I think this is my favorite, but is it a good option? Isn't it too elegant?)
  • Seiko5 ( there are lots of options here )
  • Orient Classic Automatic (FFN02004BH)
  • Seiko Classic (recraft ufo )(srpc11k1)
  • Bulova Classic Automatic (96A187)
  • Bulova Classic Automatic (96A118) ( This one has a 24-dial, not sure if I really need one)
  • Orient classic automatic power reserve (FFD0F001B0) (Do I really need a power reserve)
  • Orient automatic contemporany (RA-AR0002B101B)
  • Orient FEZ08002T0 (or the same model with a white dial)

I know Orient has an "In-House" movement and this means that I have to service it in Japan? Every 3-4 year?
Are "In-House" movements worth it or should I go with a ETA?

What do you think about my list?
I would appreciate any watch recommendation.

**I don't think my post count is high enough to post pictures of the watches. I'd have done it if I could.
1. You can't go wrong with Orient; especially not Orient star
2. No, you don't need to service it every 3-4 years; there are people who don't service a seiko/orient for decades and they still run fine.
3. This pricepoint gives you many good entry level swiss options like Laco, Hamilton, Tissot, Victorinox, Certina, Cward, and even Stowa or Longines.
4. If you want hand windable just avoid the seiko 7s26 movement (in many seiko 5's)

5. My recommendations?

Stowa Flieger Klassik 40
u2xizaelfuiz.jpg

Longines Conquest
Longines-Conquest-43-Automatic-Blue-Dial-L37784966-13412-3.jpg

Seiko Sarx055
SeikoSARX055-9.jpg

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My boring answer is to get any Seiko automatic that looks the best to your eyes.

You get a watch from a truly vertically integrated (aka in-house) watchmaking company with the skills, knowledge, resources and heritage to compete with the best in the world.

Unfortunately, even if you do follow my advice, you probably won't realise what a good thing you have until you've spent years trying everything else.

As for specific model, personally I'd be looking at the SPB051/SBDC051, which IMO is still the most well made watch I've owned that can be had brand new for (well) under $1k.... Assuming you get one with a well aligned chapter ring.

Opinions are a wonderful thing, everybody has one, and I've just shared mine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
....a watch from a truly vertically integrated (aka in-house) watchmaking company with the skills, knowledge, resources and heritage to compete with the best in the world....

.....Assuming you get one with a well aligned chapter ring....
For 200$, it's no big deal, considering value for money
For 1000$, aligned chapter ring is a must.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'd add the Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040 to your list. I don't own this watch and haven't researched it extensively (too big for me), but the couple of reviews I read spoke very highly of it.

images (47)_1539944135966.jpeg

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
For 200$, it's no big deal, considering value for money
For 1000$, aligned chapter ring is a must.
All watches are imperfect - $200, $1,000, $10,000 and more. In fact, the super expensive hand made stuff is even more likely to be imperfect, but apparently at that price its a good thing.

I've been around the forum long enough to see tiny little problems magnified out of proportion. But like I said before, everyone has an opinion.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I am not a fan of text on dials either. As for Tissot, I bought a day date, and it was great for the price. It has a really nice, chunky bracelet and the finish is excellent for what you pay 20181019_194107_1539945861628.jpg
The Hamilton and Certina mentioned above would be great choices, too. I would definitely go second hand or gray market if possible. If you are willing to do that, I would take a look at an Oris Artelier. You can find them around a 1,000 USD or less. Lastly, I think Mido offers a lot for the price point. Someone mentioned a Multifort and I could not agree more. I love mine and would not hesitate to buy another Mido if I found another deal. 20181019_194146_1539946115642.jpg

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The Tissot Ballade COSC is your answer.

1) Chronometer certified (so should be running at -4 to +6 seconds a day, right out of the box).

2) Sporty enough for everyday wear ( short of rock climbing or diving however) yet can be worn with dressyish outfits.

3) Comes on both bracelets or leather. The leather one can be found under 1000 usd.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tissot-ballade-powermatic-80-cosc-review/

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
From the above recommendations I like the Sinn and Ball most. They are universal yet with strong character and are well made.

I will add another contender in that style: Damasko DS30. Thin and made from tough submarine steel. A cool universal watch, made in Germany. It should be under $1000.
Damasko, like Sinn, look very crisp in reality.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seiko SARB033/035.

It's got the sapphire crystal (aim for that or accept scratches to build up over time), lume, and a gorgeous vintage aesthetic that grows on you over time. Comes on a decent bracelet w solid end links. Priced at $490, I'd recommend also investing in some luxury leather strap with what you save.

125_01.JPG

1 - 20 of 34 Posts