WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread caught my attention

How many Ex-Seiko people out there? I always associated WUS as being rich in Seiko admiration.

If you are a former Seiko fan...why?

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I would say that I still love Seiko even if I don't have too many of them (3, 4 if you could the Credor). I think most people just move higher up the price bracket with time and have a harder time seeing Seiko moving up the bracket with them. Also enough people start with a glut of Seiko that they probably feel the need to try something else. Everyone has their favorite food, but most of us don't order it at most dine outs.

·
Premium Member
13,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say that I still love Seiko even if I don't have too many of them (3, 4 if you could the Credor). I think most people just move higher up the price bracket with time and have a harder time seeing Seiko moving up the bracket with them. Also enough people start with a glut of Seiko that they probably feel the need to try something else. Everyone has their favorite food, but most of us don't order it at most dine outs.
This makes sense. I originally took it to mean "no longer likes Seiko", but this explains it is not so extreme.....unless some of those exist, then I want to hear why!

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
This makes sense. I originally took it to mean "no longer likes Seiko", but this explains it is not so extreme.....unless some of those exist, then I want to hear why!
I suspect the majority of those who actually don't like Seiko probably are very regional in their preferences. Like only Swiss or only German. Or they get fixated on Seiko's generally poor QC at the low end when they talk about their more expensive watches while not realizing that if Rolex and Patek made a $50 watch it would probably have issues too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Eh, me. My first watch was actually the Seiko Gen 2 monster 7 years ago, and I wore that nonstop for 5 years. But when I started looking at watches again and taking the next step up... Seiko just seems a beat behind and a beat off. I didn't really see a reason to fanboy Seiko - the lack of sapphire, the somewhat utilitarian movement, and design didn't really fit me. I tried out the Seiko Cocktail, checked out the turtle, but ultimately felt that the Swatch watches were better for me. I'm pretty value-driven when looking for watches, and it feels like Seiko is just not quite there as the other brands I compare it to.

And even moving up price tiers, I just can't really shake the design. I know it's a very personal thing, but the dive watches seem almost a little.. cartoonish? And while I love the finishing on Grand Seikos, the design reminds me too much of a grandfather's watch for me to really want.

It seems to me that no matter where I am, Seiko's getting outgunned. Under $500? I went with the Hamiltons for the longer power reserve and more traditional styling. Under $1000? Microbrands for the Miyota/Selitta movements, sapphire windows, and design. Above $1000? Nomos Metro for the more whimsical design. Seiko makes great watches, but I feel that they've lost the value proposition and their designs just aren't my style.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
This thread caught my attention

How many Ex-Seiko people out there? I always associated WUS as being rich in Seiko admiration.

If you are a former Seiko fan...why?
I kept trying different Seikos, but just never wore them. Still have an SKX009J, which I keep around just to remind me that I'll never wear it. Kinda want a Captain Willard, but will I wear it? Argh!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Actually my love for Seiko has just been rekindled.
Like many others I moved up the luxury ladder ending up with 2 Rolexes, a couple of Omegas, and loads of other pieces at various price points.
I loved my 14060 no date Sub so much I basically stopped wearing anything else and over the past 3 years I sold off almost my entire collection. A few Seikos survived - namely my SKX007, my 1978 blue Bullhead chrono and my blue Sumo.

I stopped reading the forums and blogs, only occasionally peering in a boutique window. I'd beaten the habit and I had my forever grail.

Then a friend started becoming a WIS, and of course he started on Seiko. I asked him what's new in Seiko land and started looking at the forums again. Then I saw the SPB143 "62MAS"... wow. I had to have it. Sapphire crystal, 70 hours of PR, a thin case around 40mm, and that beautiful simple design.

Since then I've bought a Blue Moon cocktail time and there's a Great Blue Hole MM200 sitting in my drawer ready for Christmas day.

I know this is a controversial opinion, but I LOVE the direction Seiko are going in. I am glad they are listening to their customers about case sizes and improving their materials and QC. I even like the price increase because it enables those other improvements. Let's not forget that their prices used to be ridiculous for a proper in-house manufacture with their own look and a real history to leverage. Now they are merely excellent, representing superb value (IMHO) at a price point that is accessible to most of us with a little saving, and they still have the 5 range for those who can't or don't want to pay ProSpex prices. I think they are doing a great job of catering to fans at different levels, and I can't wait to see what they bring out next.

I'm already starting to wonder what to get myself for my birthday in a few months... perhaps one of the inevitable limited edition "New MM200"s that are bound to surface, or maybe a green Willard? But then those Arita porcelain dial beauties with the red XII marker are calling to me....

·
Premium Member
13,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So many options, so many opinions. Great to hear. I always viewed the SARB line as a superb value, very interesting indeed

·
Registered
174 Posts
So many options, so many opinions. Great to hear. I always viewed the SARB line as a superb value, very interesting indeed
Genuinely curious, and maybe this is me being swayed by the "swiss is bettter" idea, but how does the SARB compare to say the Tissot Visodate or Hamilton Khaki value wise? It's interesting to me that Seiko has become the value brand when I personally see Swatch or Orient taking that role - or on the lower end, Casio.

·
Premium Member
13,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Genuinely curious, and maybe this is me being swayed by the "swiss is bettter" idea, but how does the SARB compare to say the Tissot Visodate or Hamilton Khaki value wise? It's interesting to me that Seiko has become the value brand when I personally see Swatch or Orient taking that role - or on the lower end, Casio.
Owning a SARB, Khaki, and having owned multiple Tissot, I feel it stacks up well. I enjoy both my Hamilton and my SARB, but the SARB feels more solid and well finished IMO. Candidly, I only have one Tissot left. They have never really impressed me the way Hamilton did. I would more closely compare a SARB to maybe the Hamilton Viewmatic.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My recent interest with watches culminated in me buying a Sarb017.
I still like my Alpinist but it sits forgotten now I've got my Aqua Terra.
My day consists of wearing my promaster to work, getting home and swapping over to the AT to keep it wound.
My Sarb started running fast as hell and I had it regulated which seemed to fix it for awhile, but now it's back to running 1m/d which is annoying. Next trip to the doctors and I'll ask them to try demagnetizing it and see if that is the issue. All this has lessened my love for Seiko and having a master chronometer makes it really hard to go backwards. Omega seems about 70 billion times better than Seiko in every possible way.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I would consider myself an "ex-Seiko lover".

I still think the brand offers a very good value proposition in different price categories. I also think that while they obviously make a lot of different models, the overall Seiko design language is great as well. The only reason why I consider myself an "ex-Seiko lover" is that it is a brand that I used to wear all the time, but now no longer wear. Which is simply due to the appeal and designs of some other brands that have taken up wrist time. I still have a Seiko though and I probably always will.

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
958 Posts
I dont feel Seiko offer value for money anymore like they used to. The lower tier auto's have got too expensive for their low specs and even worse is the poor quality control now.
I wont buy them anymore, i can get better for less money.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hardlex is a problem with the lower ends, im still debating whether to replace one of my scuffed ones with sapphire or just replace the entire thing with a brand that doesnt use hardlex.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Sizing and styling is pushing me from Seiko t micro brands and smaller watches. I love that the company has it's own design language, but my tastes have evolved from the bold 42-45mm turtles, samurais and monsters to more elegant/simple designs. I still have an Alpinist, which I rarely wear, and did just recently pick up a Green Willard, but NTH, Baltic and other micros making 39-40mm divers with simple designs have caught myths attention. The one "big" seiko I do enjoy is an orange samurai - it's just a "fun" watch.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts