WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Amazing that only 2 words, one being Seiko, can inspire a thread that goes on for 49 posts ... but the thread that inspired it by a new member to say hello has only 5 responses ... and 2 of them are from him. This place has changed a lot since I joined.
There'n ain't nothin finer than an honest-to-god, good oal brand-slam round these here parts :). However, you're going to limit responses by being a bit passive aggressive in your first post. Without, those five replies might have even stretched to a full page.

For volume on a quiet day, a post about how Seiko is trash, or wearing a Rolex while masturbating, will have them flocking!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
When people hate/love on a brand, that's a chance to express oneself? Without such divisions, social media would be rather boring. LOL

When Seiko announced that they can't compete in affordable segment, I wonder if they are aware that it's because of quality/alignment issues that they don't/can't fix?

Going upmarket, that would lose affordable fans. I think one would need to be a somewhat luxury fan (don't mind spending more for diminishing, but noticeable, bang) to go on this transition with Seiko.

Seiko is maybe not all the way there to compete with other luxury brands (e.g. people complain about lack of fine adjustment for GS bracelet, or not-next-level-looking diver's extension and clasp for Prospex LX?), but they are appealing/intriguing in the little details (at least to me). I'm still a Seiko lover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I seem to be in the minority but I love Seiko's new direction. The price increase makes sense with the upgraded materials/better designs. The presage cocktail pieces are really stunning and the King Turtles and King Samurais (2020 release) are really well executed. I'm unaware of any other watch that offers a ceramic bezel for under 500 USD (I paid about 455 USD for my King Samurai). QC issues are still an issue (even at price points that obviously shouldn't have such issues) and the bracelets are cheap and nasty. Even with factoring in slightly misaligned bezels and shelling out for better, aftermarket bracelets I still feel Seiko offers some of the best bang for buck out there. Not to mention they're just so damn cool and unpretentious.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
I still love seiko. But my seiko collecting days are over. I dont buy anymore. Nor is there a strong desire to buy any. I still wear what i have in rotation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Once upon a time I was totally obsessed with Seiko, but I've fallen a little out of love with it. Still have a couple of divers that I wouldn't dream of parting with but now when I think of getting a new watch, I'm increasingly interested in microbrands (ironically often using Seiko movements), or interesting brands with a bit of history like Laco, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Back to OP’s inspiration, ive never found the urge to get a Christopher Ward. Their real super compressor was the closest i felt to getting one.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Wow, I must have missed this topic first time around.
Anyway, for me, ex-Seiko reasons are:
  • Movements with wide accuracy variation (biggest reason)
  • Poor quality control - misalignments almost as a rule rather than a rare exception (hard to believe considering Japan was a pioneer of post-war quality management)
  • Watches that say "Made in Japan" that aren't made in Japan by any objective measure (try China and Malaysia)
  • The new pricing policy built around the 6R35 movement
There's no nationalistic bias in this for me, either. If anything, I actually really want a Japanese watch that exemplifies their craftsmanship and is actually made in Japan to the same extent of a luxury Swiss watch.
All that said, they have great designs and great lume. If I ever bought a Seiko again, it would be a Grand Seiko, but no more regular Seiko or Seiko Prospex for me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
For me Seiko (and Orient) will always be the brand that got me into watches many, many years ago. I still own my SKX, sawtooth and an orange monster and love them as beater watches. They were just amazing value for the money and I bought them all new for under $250.
That being said, I don’t agree with their new price policies. For under $300 they are great value but I will always see them in this light. Charging over $1000 for some of their new models feels simply wrong to me, given the history I have with this brand. That’s also one of the reasons that keeps me away from GS but that’s a different discussion.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
What makes me chuckle a bit is the fact that some prefer to buy a micro brand because of the upgrades, but most still carry a seiko nh36 movement 😮
I'm not sure why...you said it yourself. People are more likely to find better specs (and far less chance of a misalignment) with a microbrand than a Seiko. The fact that there's even a thread like this specifically about Seiko tells a story about why people are turning to microbrands instead. If they matched their CS, QC and specs with some of the microbrands, they'd be a world beater again.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm not sure why...you said it yourself. People are more likely to find better specs (and far less chance of a misalignment) with a microbrand than a Seiko. The fact that there's even a thread like this specifically about Seiko tells a story about why people are turning to microbrands instead. If they matched their CS, QC and specs with some of the microbrands, they'd be a world beater again.
So true, apart from the constant moaning and banging on about inaccurate movements, they then buy a higher spec micro brand with the movement they are constantly moaning about.
Personally i like seiko, but also like hundreds of other brands, I've no axe to grind other than the aforementioned hypocrisy of some who bash seiko, then buy a watch with a seiko movement. 👍

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have one Seiko, a KingTurtle, and really like it. Having said that my opinion is that most Seiko watches all look the same, specifically in the dive series and it just gets boring after a while.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
What makes me chuckle a bit is the fact that some prefer to buy a micro brand because of the upgrades, but most still carry a seiko nh36 movement 😮
There are numerous posts by people who wear $5000-$10000 watches saying they care more about case finishing, brand names, and dials than movements. No big surprise that people who love sub $500 watches feel the same.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I still have more watches by Seiko than by anyone else, and if you include Seiko's movements, then that's 3/4ths of my watches -- NH35/36 are so prevalent in affordable microbrands/homages.

I do agree though that at the cheapest price points, Orient seems to be better value, and at the higher price points of $700+ MSRP, where Seiko finally starts using their better 6R35 movement and sapphire crystal, there's huge competition in the marketplace.

I think where Seiko is really killing it is in the $2-6k price range with Grand Seiko. My only expensive watch is a GS, and at this moment my leading contender for another expensive watch is ... another GS. They're just so compelling. I had the chance to try on SBGA413 yesterday and it's so beautiful. I want to see SLGH005 in person too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think the old Seiko 5 (SNK) line was great; one of them was my first mechanical watch. I wish they would have kept the designs but upgraded them (sapphire crystal, screw-down crown). The new Seiko 5 Sports line borrows too much design language from the SKX line, and I never liked those. Plus, the new Seiko 5 line is much bigger.

I absolutely love my SARB017, but am not sure about the new Prospex Alpinists.

Ex-Seiko lover - maybe?

·
Premium Member
13,333 Posts
I own mostly Japan Domestic market models made during some of the most interesting seiko years from 2002 to 2016 . I also have one Shogun SBDC029 and I wouldn't be so critical of the 6r15 which is above in reliability and quality than your basic 2824 or 2892 Seiko 6R15 caliber - the heart of many great watches, we can also quote the 6L35 which is found in the new KS reedition Return of the King: The new King Seiko KSK and Caliber 6L35. Most of my other seiko watches have all the 8L35 , and for my Seiko chronographs, I have one 8r28, two 8r39 and one 8r49, plus three vintage King Seiko watches fitted with the famous 5626. I prefered to buy Japan Domestic high end limited models so I know taht I would have something high end and rare.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts