WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not an ex. I currently have 4 Seikos and a GS SBGA231. The GS gets the most wrist time and when I bought it I debated between it and a Submariner. I ended up getting the GS because I felt like it had as good if not better aesthetics and functionality than the Sub. Having said that for the time being I’ve decided my next watch will be a Sub.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I liked Seiko from the very beginning days in the hobby, and I like Seiko now, but I don't like every decision they make.

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
You have poor accuracy with a Grand Seiko?
Me personally, no. But I find their whole static vs. normal usage such a cop out for the price. My Omega is just straight up +5 without any of the caveats. Anyway, I only like and collect their HAQ.

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
My on again/off again Seiko relationship is currently on....

Seiko got me started in this watch world, with a trusty 007, and I have probably owned and flipped 20+ Seiko over the last 5yrs......
QC and “sameness” really pushed me away in 2019, and there was a period where I just owned a modded black Sammy (lumed ceramic bezel insert).

I’m now back on the wagon, with a SLA039 and SNR045 in the watch box......

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I do agree though that at the cheapest price points, Orient seems to be better value, and at the higher price points of $700+ MSRP, where Seiko finally starts using their better 6R35 movement and sapphire crystal, there's huge competition in the marketplace.
Citizen too. Their watches are outstanding and QC issues virtually unheard of, or at least exceptional rather than the rule as with Seiko.

I think where Seiko is really killing it is in the $2-6k price range with Grand Seiko. My only expensive watch is a GS, and at this moment my leading contender for another expensive watch is ... another GS. They're just so compelling. I had the chance to try on SBGA413 yesterday and it's so beautiful. I want to see SLGH005 in person too.
I totally understand why people rave about GS and the quality of the watches. I just wish they'd do something like Toyota/Lexus (for want of a better example) to differentiate and distance Seiko from Grand Seiko.

I wouldn't spend nearly as much on a Toyota as I maybe would on a Lexus and wouldn't buy a Lexus at all if it was sporting a Toyota badge. Snobbery? Yeah, probably. But, we buy luxury level products for reasons which inevitably will be linked with the brand name as much as the quality of and heritage behind the object. The name is a reminder of that, in my head anyway. So, seeing 'Seiko' on a dial even with the word 'Grand' in front of it doesn't change my perception enough to justify spending even £2k on one of these.

Would someone pay the same for Tudor as for Rolex? Generally, almost certainly not. Partly because of quality differences and also because of heritage, cache and brand. This applies to Seiko and Grand Seiko for me and always will.

Only my opinion and no claim to be stating facts ;)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I like my old Seikos and I have great respect for the brand and its history. They just don't have anything in their current lineup that I'm excited about. Like so many other brands they've resorted to putting out endless color variations of the same carbon copied designs with increasing prices for equal or lesser quality. It's boring.

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Archie Luxury described Seikos best:

“Cheap, mean, vicious and nasty!”

FMD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
More like ex-Seiko buyer. When I look at Seikos now I see the compromises. QC issues, mediocre straps and bracelets, Hardlex, unsigned crowns, etc.

I’m still interested when Seiko releases new models. The Steelmaster SPB185 pushes all my buttons, but it’s $1,100. I have a hard time spending that much on a Seiko when for a few hundred more I can get a Sinn or Oris.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
I like my old Seikos and I have great respect for the brand and its history. They just don't have anything in their current lineup that I'm excited about. Like so many other brands they've resorted to putting out endless color variations of the same carbon copied designs with increasing prices for equal or lesser quality. It's boring.
Bingo! I love their older designs. The new stuff is just overpriced and usually oversized mediocrity, (that was for you OP), IMO. And Grand Seikos are boring, very shiny though. IMO

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I forgot about this thread.

Seiko is still very much on my radar. Recent SARB035 and solar tuna LE additions have not disappointed! As much as I enjoy my 8J GS I keep looking at 9F models and classic hi-beat models.

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Pong is right, needs more pics

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
This thread caught my attention

How many Ex-Seiko people out there? I always associated WUS as being rich in Seiko admiration.

If you are a former Seiko fan...why?
Yeah, I guess you could count me in that former Seiko fan. Several reasons I think:

-tired of seeing 007, 009, Sumos, Monsters, and Samurais.
- I’ve had numerous problems with accuracy, crowns coming out, cheesy, flimsy bracelets etc.

- where’s the new stuff? Regurgitating the existing lineup with cosmetic changes to pitch to the masses is not innovation nor interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,642 Posts
Eh, me. My first watch was actually the Seiko Gen 2 monster 7 years ago, and I wore that nonstop for 5 years. But when I started looking at watches again and taking the next step up... Seiko just seems a beat behind and a beat off. I didn't really see a reason to fanboy Seiko - the lack of sapphire, the somewhat utilitarian movement, and design didn't really fit me. I tried out the Seiko Cocktail, checked out the turtle, but ultimately felt that the Swatch watches were better for me. I'm pretty value-driven when looking for watches, and it feels like Seiko is just not quite there as the other brands I compare it to.

And even moving up price tiers, I just can't really shake the design. I know it's a very personal thing, but the dive watches seem almost a little.. cartoonish? And while I love the finishing on Grand Seikos, the design reminds me too much of a grandfather's watch for me to really want.

It seems to me that no matter where I am, Seiko's getting outgunned. Under $500? I went with the Hamiltons for the longer power reserve and more traditional styling. Under $1000? Microbrands for the Miyota/Selitta movements, sapphire windows, and design. Above $1000? Nomos Metro for the more whimsical design. Seiko makes great watches, but I feel that they've lost the value proposition and their designs just aren't my style.
I'm a Seiko fan but it's hard to argue with your views, though I think there's a lot of personal preference tied up in your assessment. That's okay, of course. We all like what we like.

I think Seiko has pushed some of the Swiss manufactures at the lower end, and as a result are now being pushed themselves by those same brands. It's overall good for people buying watches.

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
they want to go high end with Grand Seiko but do not have the AD network matching their aspirations. Their higher end SEIKO but right into Grand Seiko/Tudor entry luxury without having the corresponding experience. They don't project the right image which is really everything in luxury.
Also, who does their typography?!?!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I own one Seiko currently, and have had one other. The brand doesn't do a whole lot for me until I start looking at GS. Style, designs, it's just not me. I like the look of other divers tremendously better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 109 Posts