WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
they want to go high end with Grand Seiko but do not have the AD network matching their aspirations. Their higher end SEIKO but right into Grand Seiko/Tudor entry luxury without having the corresponding experience. They don't project the right image which is really everything in luxury.
Also, who does their typography?!?!
They're working on the AD network. It's expanding every year.

As for the typography, I see this complaint commonly enough, so clearly it's a problem for some, but all I can say is that it doesn't personally bother me. I do wish they'd lean into their Japanese heritage a little bit more and stop ripping off old-timey European themes though. The lion crest is a joke. Japan doesn't have lions!

·
Premium Member
9,005 Posts
No ex-lover for me - I had 30years collecting Swiss - past couple of years with Seiko have been a delight discovering Seiko esp JDM sports editions
my lad just snapped a pic of me with the Darth Emperor

IMG_0997.jpeg

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
This thread caught my attention

How many Ex-Seiko people out there? I always associated WUS as being rich in Seiko admiration.

If you are a former Seiko fan...why?
They used to be my go to reasonably priced watch brand, but things have changed for me. I still own an SKX009, which I like a lot, albeit I know the spec is low, and I put on an after market bracelet because the original one is rubbish. Many WIS's won't like me saying it, but there are Chinese homage versions of their older models that are far better, and cost a fraction of the price. Strangely enough I am wearing a Heimdallr Monster at this very moment, and it is a fantastic watch for the money. Seiko have sat back and watched the world go by, and it's my belief they want to leave the budget market behind them. In it's self I don't have an issue with that, but the reviews I read on their more expensive watches indicate they are still fraught with QC issues. If I am now looking for a watch I don't even consider Seiko as an option

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I still love seiko. But my seiko collecting days are over. I dont buy anymore. Nor is there a strong desire to buy any. I still wear what i have in rotation.
Agreed. With such a huge product line they are strangely limited in their appeal...mostly I settle on one style of case that fits me nicely and don't feel the need to deviate from that.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The other day, when I went grocery shopping, I walked past a watch/jewelry store where I bought Seikos before, and the signs out front say "50% off". I think that could be for everything?! Some good deals to be had right now probably, at some brick-and-mortar stores that are suffering due to pandemic restrictions.

Seiko talked about going upmarket, but they are still making and selling affordable watches (<$1k, e.g. at Seiya Japan website). Doesn't matter to me, I have no problem with an expensive watch that says "SEIKO" on it, but Seiko is not convincing those that see lack of cachet and won't spend luxury prices for the brand. Seiko is being pretty wishy-washy with their brand positioning.

I noticed that Seiya Japan's website doesn't have the misalignment notice for Seiko divers anymore? I wonder if Seiko had a good talking-to with Seiya-san. LOL

Some others mentioned on-again, off-again feelings about Seiko watches that they have? I kind of feel similarly for some of mine for sure. It's an interesting feeling, at the boundary between "like" and "dislike", and it changes over time. Sometimes I love this one, and sometimes I just want to chuck it in the garbage, LOL (pic from online):

But I have some Seikos that are firmly in "like" all the time. So I'm still a Seiko lover. I pretty much wear one Seiko or another every day.

·
Premium Member
9,005 Posts
Once upon a time I was totally obsessed with Seiko, but I've fallen a little out of love with it. Still have a couple of divers that I wouldn't dream of parting with but now when I think of getting a new watch, I'm increasingly interested in microbrands (ironically often using Seiko movements), or interesting brands with a bit of history like Laco, etc.
I like Laco, but being fair, if you want 'interesting brands with a bit of history' - Seiko has a much longer & much more important and much more impressive history than most other brands out there and if you like Laco for their military pedigree, Seiko have it covered

·
Registered
L688.4 5X53 6L35 4R36 7D56 H851 F6922
749 Posts
I still buy they low Prospex range: Turtles and Arnies, but that's because I don't see the point in buying expensive diver's watches from any brand. I am comfortably buying Presages and Astrons and don't regret having got expensive ones.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts