WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love the exhibition case back. I find watch movements to be amazing machines and it’s a shame to hide that behind steel when it could be visible.

I find myself taking off my watches when sitting around to look at the movements and spin the rotor around.

Great to have variation too. My spring drive is very different to watch than my el primero.

All to not even get to the art that is Lange case backs and other brands with similar finishing.

So always a plus for me!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My Hamilton Field Khaki Auto is the only one I have with an exhibition case back but one in my collection is enough.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Not a factor in the decision making process, but like having some of my watches with them. I have 3 hand wound watches and they all have exhibition case backs. Their movements are nice to look at from time to time. I’m a little spoiled with a gorgeous pocket watch movement to enjoy. Easier on view and enjoy with the aging eyes. 😀

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don’t really care. I used to be more against but then I heard they’re actually more waterproof than a solid back (sapphire doesn’t deflect).

But I’m not a fan of unnecessary thickness on a watch, or visible white gaskets. So I guess the final answer is “they’re fine, if done right”.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They are good if the movements are worth seeing. All my watches are self-winding and could be classified as "rotor exhibition" cases. The rotor is almost all you can see.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Always a no go for me, but I like tool / dive watches and it just seems unnecessary in that bracket. But if I bought something for 40K or by George Daniels or Roger Smith, then sure why not :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I can take 'em or leave 'em. All depends on what I'd get to look at. A run of the mill Miyota 9xxx, 2824, SW200, etc. ain't too exciting.

But I love looking at the backside of my Tourby :love:

Reactions: NeverQuiteSure

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Very much depends on the watch. Tool watches - no. Other watches - yes.

Reactions: seadial

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
If the movement is pretty and/or interesting? Yes.
If the rotor is American boomer waist sized and blocking the movement? No.
If it is a Grand Seiko with a lot of ugly printing on the glass so it might as well be solid backed? No.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,303 Posts
I prefer them

Which Manero model? Always liked the line

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's not a must in a watch, but I've always liked and appreciated them. I've never had a comfort or wear issue with them either.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 85 Posts