WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
As others said, it depends on the movement/watch for me.

·
Registered
Victorinox Automatic
112 Posts
Ehhh, I think it’s ok, but mostly for explaining the difference between mechanical and quartz which I can only guess is the reason they were invented in the first place. For the salesperson it must make their job much easier.

For myself I think they look good with a well decorated wind-up watch, but I’m just not a fan, they are a little too much work for me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's like that one onion ring when you order fries. I don't go out hunting for case back, but if its there it's a plus.

·
Premium Member
Breitling, Cartier, Casio, Rolex (x2), Seiko, Sinn, Tissot (x3)
597 Posts
Asked and answered but, yes. I haven't experienced comfort issues and only have 3 watches with clear casebacks. Has not been a deciding factor when buying but I definitely want a few with a view.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I find exhibition case backs get sweaty and grimey real quick in hot weather so I prefer solid on sport watches.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I love them, it's always a plus, but also not a showstopper if the watch doesn't have one. If I'm buying a watch with a movement I don't have yet, I definitely prefer it because I really do enjoy looking at them.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My only watch with a transparent caseback is a Swatch Body & Soul, a skeletonized ETA automatic. I think that it's way more interesting from the front and wouldn't mind if it had a massive back. That said, even though I found taking a peek inside my Rolexes (OQ and OP) and Tudor interesting, I am perfectly happy with their bowels hidden.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
A carry over from carriage clock days when what you paid for was on display with glazed panels everywhere. The maker was very important as was the type of mechanism used and this carried over into pocket watches. Springs and gears and oscillating masses are very the last few centuries where makers laboured for long periods to produce and craft all the component parts. Now automated machinery spits parts out in the hundreds of thousands, probably millions, for mainstream watches.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The first automatic watch I bought was a Seiko 5 Sport with exhibition case back. The movement 7s26 is nothing special. But as I was new to automatic watches, it was cool to be able to see the movement.

I cannot stand wearing that watch. The glass on exhibition case back feels sticky on my skins. And when I sweat, it is worse. I had to return the watch.

·
Registered
242 Posts
As with others, it depends. I have an exhibition back on one of my newest watches, and after six months I've looked at it carefully just once. I've glanced at it a couple of times after taking it off. It's sort of cool to have, but I obviously don't really care very much.

About a month ago I was seriously considering the Blancpain Bathyscaphe. Tried it on at the dealer's and never even thought about whether or not it had a transparent back. In fact, I didn't know it had one until just a couple of minutes ago when this thread had me wondering about it. I ended up getting a SeaQ without a transparent back because with that watch, as with the Bathyscaphe, it didn't matter at all to me. Transparent backs on the divers seemed superfluous. And I've looked many more times at the engraved back of the SeaQ than I have at the exhibition back on my other watch.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Definitely "yes":

Watch Analog watch Product Silver Clock

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unless it's a Piaget Altiplano or a skeleton, any watch automatically gets a "no" from me if it has no exhibition back. A well-made mechanical (or even quartz) movement is a thing of beauty with its bevels, polishing, engraving, and more that I regularly look at the movement just to appreciate the artistry that goes into it. I absolutely refuse to buy any watch that doesn't have an open back; IMO it shows a lack of pride going into the movement and that's a big turn off.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts