WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound like a stupid question, but does anybody who owns expensive dive watches, such as the Rolex submariner, actually use them for diving?
I wouldn't if I could afford one, i probably wouldn't take it out the box...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I guess it depends on how you define expensive. There are some on this board who will never own a $7K watch. There are some that can afford a watch like a Sub, but will never put the watch in danger. And there are some who use a Rolex Sub as a beater.

·
Premium Member
73,611 Posts
My divers only ever see the depths of my desk and I cringe a little when I see watches in sea shots so I probably wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a quality watch to dive in - not as I ever dive you understand - it's more of a theoretical discomfort.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I don't know what your definition of "expensive" is, but I happily snorkel with both my Seikos and my Oris (and I consider all of them expensive).

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Very few actual divers use anything but a digital dive watch (which can do many useful things). The ones that wear a mechanical dive watch mostly do it just because they can. However, people swim and shower in the things all the time, as well as exercise.

And, of course, plenty of people don't. A lot of it has to do with how attached you are to the watch, and how easily you can afford to damage it. "Afford" is a loaded term -- being financially comfortable with purchasing a watch isn't the same as being financially comfortable with damaging or losing it. I could go to the store right now and pay full retail for a PP Calatrava, but I don't because if I lost it or broke it I would be miserable (that'd be a good chunk of my "life savings" smashed to pieces on a doorknob). I can afford to buy one, but I can't afford to actually use it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Were I to ever own a Sub (more than likely will one day) I would have to take it diving at least once. It's what the watch was built for and probably the place it feels the most at home. But you can bet your knickers I'd have it on a NATO. Taking it diving is one thing, not taking all necessary precautions to keep it safe is another.

Very few actual divers use anything but a digital dive watch (which can do many useful things). The ones that wear a mechanical dive watch mostly do it just because they can.
I use an air integrated, wrist mounted dive computer that tells me everything I need to know, however I will always dive with a watch. If I'm out on a boat in the middle of the ocean and my computer decides to die then I will use my dive watch as an actual bottom timer (along with my backup brass & glass SPG and depth gauge) to continue diving on tables. I'm not losing an entire dive trip because of an equipment malfunction.

·
Registered
731 Posts
This might sound like a stupid question, but does anybody who owns expensive dive watches, such as the Rolex submariner, actually use them for diving?
I wouldn't if I could afford one, i probably wouldn't take it out the box...
Point is that a "dive" watch has that name from history. A lot of ppl don't wear dive watches anymore for diving, a lot use a diving computer which also reads depths etc. But it is still called a dive watch and has the depth rating as some ppl still use them. Can't remember the story fully, but a Rolex diver has seen the bottom of the ocean on a remote control sub, even Rolex was astonished it survived.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I never dive with my Submariner because I don't want to bang it against anything and damage it... but it does see occasional 'pool duty' (I consider it to be a dress diver, as other divers I have/had like my Eterna Super Kontiki Heritage or Breitling SOH). My dive watches of preference for 'real use' are my Oris Prodiver or my Seiko OM.

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Yep, of course. In a heart beat. As others have said, it's what they're designed for. I haven't taken my two most expensive dive watches on an open water dive, yet. largely because the bracelets / straps aren't long enough to work. But they have both seen significant time under water in pools.

·
Registered
429 Posts
A good friend of mine (the gent I credit with turning me onto quality time pieces) dives for fun once a year and always wears his Sub.

I snorkel and wear whichever diver I happen to own at the time.

Divers are meant to get wet. They are not decorations for your watch winder.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Yep, of course. In a heart beat. As others have said, it's what they're designed for. I haven't taken my two most expensive dive watches on an open water dive, yet. largely because the bracelets / straps aren't long enough to work. But they have both seen significant time under water in pools.
Serves you right for diving the cold of Alberta!

I definitely have no qualms about using any of my watches as secondary bottom-timers.

Reactions: TheWalrus

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
I took my Corum out for diving in Taiwan just last week.. great watch, paid roughly $4.5k even though it has MSRP of $10,500 USD.. worked great for my purposes! And the Titanium is a delight..

I know many people with the DSSD from Rolex, namely another thread where the guy wants to drill holes in the lugs of a $11,000+ watch.. and they use it for surfing/diving.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Someone earlier said it depends on how you define "expensive." I'd say it depends on how you define dive. If you mean to the bottom of a swimming pool, sure I dive with it. Deeper than that, no, not intentionally. My son probably has; he wears it, and I can't imagine him taking it off.

I will wear my Sub to all sorts of "rough" wear activities if my son doesn't have it. I don't care if it gets scrapes and scratches so long as the crystal stays intact and the crown attached. It's only my "proper" dress watches that I prefer that they don't get scratched. Kids fall and scrape their knees; watches get scratched. It happens. I don't make it happen, but it does. C'est la vie.

FWIW, the price I paid for a watch has nothing to do with how I feel about how it gets used. If it's a tool or sport watch, it's going to get used that way no matter what it cost. I won't wear a dress watch when I'm doing "non-civilized" things -- sporty or otherwise.

All the best.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't know so many people did this, although I suppose if that's what they're meant for then it's a shame not to dive with them.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,696 Posts
I think that few owners use a dive style watch like a Rolex or Blancpain for real diving. I'm aware of people using Casio digitals and of course dive computers for diving.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts