WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently discovered this gem and seriously considering pulling the trigger - https://www.keepthetime.com/product/dubey-schaldenbrand-gran-chrono-astro-moonphase-triple-date/. Amazing usage of dial space, and beautiful case back. I posted a couple of pics below

I know TGV raves about his rattrapante from D&S but this tonneau case tops all :). A couple of questions for the community:

1) Anyone have an experience with the brand? - I am going to shoot myself in the foot with service? Any concerns with the "new" owners (Since 1995 I think)
2) Anyone owns this or similar model? I am concerned with 15.1 mm thickness and 49-50mm lug-to-lug on my 7 inch wrist.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Gorgeous watch! I’ve known about the brand for years but have not had the pleasure of ownership. I’ll be watching this thread to learn more along with the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
Annual output of Dubey & Schaldenbrand is about 5000 (or even less) watches, under which were some real top notch limited editions, for example:

1995 Index Mobile

The Index Mobile was one of the most creative approaches to the splits-seconds complication, the hairspring of the Index Mobile was placed on the dial connecting to the two second hands as opposed to an mechanism hidden deep inside the movement.

2002 Spiral One
2003 Spiral Split Second

All of them featured a very fine finish, excellent engravings (made by hand) which created a devoted following.
Always wanted to own one, finally decided to go for the Wempe Tonneau. Read that service might be an obstacle but no first hand experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The brand was revived in 1995 by Mrs. Cinette Robert, one of the rare prominent women in the watch industry.

I personally think she did a fantastic work of relaunching the brands with an Art Nouveau style (also known as Jungendstil or Liberty) that became their signature, and it seems that the brand was very popular in Japan.

They had very interesting movements with custom decorating.

I managed to get my hands on a cushion shaped Diplomatic, which has a neat independent time zone. Even the minutes can be set independently, so just for the fun of it I did set it on solar time.

Image from Allwatches.org:

She eventually sold the company to a young entrepreneur, I guess right before going into retirement. He seems to have kept the most popular designs in the Heritage Collection, while introducing new models in the 21st Century Collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any update on if the trigger was pulled. i am also chasing one now.
No. The evolution of thought of thought was from D&S watch --> Frank Muller Calendar Chrono:
6850ccmcat-pre-owned-franck-muller-master-calendar-magnum-chronograph-stainless-steel-automatic-.jpg

I realized that I really enjoy Franck Muller stories / design notion so i sacrificed a beautiful decoration movement potential and pulled the trigger on 5850mb (because of triple time functionality):
8124126183183.jpg

However, D&S are still set up in my watchrecon and ebay notifications :)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I was just looking at the listing, my spouse looked over my shoulder and said, “Wow, that’s beautiful. You should get it.”
The specs say it’s a 7750 base movement which shouldn’t be too hard to get serviced given how common it is. 50mm L2L is pretty standard “med-large” size — I think practically every watch I own is somewhere between 48-51mm. And there are plenty of watches in the 14-16mm thick range using the 7750 so it doesn’t seem outrageous.
There’s a risk buying any preowned watch but this looks like worth taking a shot.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I almost bought my wife one for Xmas until she convinced me that even though she loved the one that I was considering she's just too attached to her Apple watch for now.

·
Registered
40,199 Posts
No, I do recall sending about four 'Aerodyns' back for PR problems, some had dust on the crystal, QA seemed to very lax with this brand. Doobies seemed to be more
of a 'facade', it was all up front. I really liked the 'Carre Cambre Diplomatic, but pricing was outside the ballpark for what you got.
Interesting. Are you saying movements have issues more frequently than expected?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I realized that I really enjoy Franck Muller stories / design notion so i sacrificed a beautiful decoration movement potential and pulled the trigger on 5850mb (because of triple time functionality)
Congratulations on the Franck Muller Master Banker! Beautiful watch! I really like Franck Muller's design language, and this one is such a classic.

P.S. probably don't ask Watchbreath what he thinks it's worth. I like it though.

·
Registered
40,199 Posts
"classic", one of the many overused and misused words around these parts.
Congratulations on the Franck Muller Master Banker! Beautiful watch! I really like Franck Muller's design language, and this one is such a classic.

P.S. probably don't ask Watchbreath what he thinks it's worth. I like it though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"classic", one of the many overused and misused words around these parts.
Haha. Perhaps "Classic" is not the best word :) However FM is a "fitting"choice if someone who a) wants to get a watch representative of FM design, b) travels a lot, and c) still young enough and wants to scream "look at me" but old enough to know that a 55mm watch is perhaps flashy

Mind you, I am biased since I bought it so feel free to ignore me? :)

·
Premium Member
IWC chrono: Pilot or Porsche Design Titan
4,628 Posts
Does anyone else think of a German scientist smoking a joint when they hear Dubey & Schaldenbrand?
No I am not smoking one now...

·
Registered
582 Posts
This was my daily wearer for years. I have to say, I still think it's a beautiful, unusual watch. Started acting funny and I had it serviced after about 15 years of ownership but otherwise, it has been great. No regrets at all. Design-wise, I'd say they are closer to Franck Mueller than anyone else, but honestly, I prefer Dubey- their designs are a bit more understated. They've produced some stunners over the years.

Dubey Back small 3.jpg Dubey Back small 2.jpg

·
Registered
40,199 Posts
Closer to FM, 15 years ago, Paul Picot - Majestic line. Today, Zeno - Tonneau Retro Automatic, 8081-9-h4. And the Longines - Evidenza line as well. Closer still, Paul Picot -Firshire line.
This was my daily wearer for years. I have to say, I still think it's a beautiful, unusual watch. Started acting funny and I had it serviced after about 15 years of ownership but otherwise, it has been great. No regrets at all. Design-wise, I'd say they are closer to Franck Mueller than anyone else, but honestly, I prefer Dubey- their designs are a bit more understated. They've produced some stunners over the years.

View attachment 13853267 View attachment 13853269

1 - 20 of 21 Posts