WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Fair do's for trying this out Tony, it is not easy to do.
I think that a little black paint mixed in the base would give a more realistic dark tint to any green lume, instead of the bits of ash or whatever.

Full marks and a sweetie for staying (mostly) inside the lines! :)

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
There's a thread on Watchmaking that touches upon this, with significant contributions by the esteemed Herr Doktor Ranfft, who as you may or may not know, has his own product which addresses this type of work. It's worth seeking out, I think.

I, for my part, have variously contributed to the advancement of this noble cause by suggesting using artist powder pigments added to existing products. They're controllable and available in a huge range of colours, and not expensive either. Here in the Mediterranean London (phew, we are hot, hot, hot!) I recommend L Cornellisen whose range is incomparable.

I personally can't really see why someone would want the lume on a 80 year old watch to glow with Super Luminova intensity and so don't mind that the pigment will knock this back. Anyway, seek out RR's contribution to the thread, as well his own website, which documents his advanced work and process on the subject.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a thread on Watchmaking that touches upon this, with significant contributions by the esteemed Herr Doktor Ranfft, who as you may or may not know, has his own product which addresses this type of work. It's worth seeking out, I think.

I, for my part, have variously contributed to the advancement of this noble cause by suggesting using artist powder pigments added to existing products. They're controllable and available in a huge range of colours, and not expensive either. Here in the Mediterranean London (phew, we are hot, hot, hot!) I recommend L Cornellisen whose range is incomparable.

I personally can't really see why someone would want the lume on a 80 year old watch to glow with Super Luminova intensity and so don't mind that the pigment will knock this back. Anyway, seek out RR's contribution to the thread, as well his own website, which documents his advanced work and process on the subject.
Thanks.. I had seen the page on Dr Ranfft's site.. already having pigment I am trying to work out alternatives.. after doing this one, my wife found some tubes of watercolours that may work better than using ash..

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Sorry, sorry, sorry, I was kind of rude in forgetting to say that I think your results are looking good. My point was to try and get to something more repeatable and you sound to have addressed that with your wife's paints. The thing I've been finding with the pigments is that one or two grains will do to shift the colour from 'white' to 'aged.' Green eludes me at the moment…

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, sorry, sorry, I was kind of rude in forgetting to say that I think your results are looking good. My point was to try and get to something more repeatable and you sound to have addressed that with your wife's paints. The thing I've been finding with the pigments is that one or two grains will do to shift the colour from 'white' to 'aged.' Green eludes me at the moment…
Your comments were fine.. I have found recently that getting lume pigments is problematic due to border restrictions between countries. .no idea why, but it is frustrating.. I guess it comes with living at the other side of the world..

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Or the centre of it, depending upon perspective.

Your comments were fine.. I have found recently that getting lume pigments is problematic due to border restrictions between countries. .no idea why, but it is frustrating.. I guess it comes with living at the other side of the world..

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi all,

if you mix your own lume, I' recommend the ink of markers or fineliners instead of pigmented colors. It is transparent and therefore doesn't affect the re-emission seriously. And it is available water based and permanent, matching the type of the lacquer. For the small mixed quantaties it is often enough to paint a line on the stirring stick (or screwdriver) to get the desired color. With blue and red you can achive almost every tone of aged lume between orange and brown.

Finally a supplier in the UK offers "aged" lume powder ready to mix it with lacqer.
VINTAGE WATCH LUME LUMINOUS PASTE KIT GLOW IN THE DARK DIY LUME FOR WATCH HANDS | eBay

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've used coloured paint pigment as well with success. I have an Aquastar Deepstar which was a bit of a project watch. The minute hand was broken and the hour hand's tritium was falling out (amongst other issues!). So i replaced the minute hand and cleaned the hour hand, which left a problem of matching new lume with the dial. I tried several methods before getting it right. I ended up redoing my work a couple of times as the lume ended up looking too different in daylight vs shade. It was quite difficult as i was matching the new lume on the hands with the existing lume on the dial. I ended up using white lume that glowed green, and mixing in some yellow pigment i got from the craft store.
Each time i mixed, i mixed it up dry, then i tested a small bit on some spare clear plastic i had to see how it dried. I'd compare that to the dial lume to see if i got a match!
I tried ash a few times but found that it didn't always mix evenly through the lume and the result was a bit off every time.
IMG_2407.jpg IMG_3458.jpg

Ben.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts