WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch lovers,

I have been tempted towards a second Rolex for my wrist, and currently have the Explorer I Mk2 (214270). I have bounced around a sub, or a GMT master II, but am really drawn to the pre-ceramic era. Enter the Explorer II 16570 Polar...has a date complication (very useful for my work) and beautiful aesthetics. Question is, would two explorers be redundant in a collection? I am really trying to move away from flipping watches...too painful on the pocketbook.

Cheers and thanks for the thoughts!

Gokul

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Absolutely redundant. The Explorer II, with it’s white dial, red GMT hand, cyclops date, and 24 hour bezel, is simply too similar to the completely unadorned black Explorer. It would be like buying two identical Submariners... You might be able to tell them apart, but nobody else could.

Here, look at the Explorer and Explorer II next to each other. The Explorer I is on the top, Explorer II on the bottom. It’s like the same thing:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

EDIT: Sorry, I think that’s actually the Explorer II on the top, and the Explorer I on the bottom.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely redundant. The Explorer II, with it’s white dial, red GMT hand, cyclops date, and 24 hour bezel, is simply too similar to the completely unadorned black Explorer. It would be like buying two identical Submariners... You might be able to tell them apart, but nobody else could.

Here, look at the Explorer and Explorer II next to each other. The Explorer I is on the top, Explorer II on the bottom. It’s like the same thing:

View attachment 14583497
View attachment 14583501

EDIT: Sorry, I think that’s actually the Explorer II on the top, and the Explorer I on the bottom.
Extreme sarcasm?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Not redundant in my opinion
Perhaps you can use the Explorer I bracelet in the 5 digit Explorer II and get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I think there is a bit of sarcasm above, which was very clever (<--- no sarcasm here, though).

If the names were different this would not be a discussion. If the Explorer 1 was called the Summit or something like that you would have already bought both.

Subjectively they are very different. At the end of the day any two steel Rolex watch collection is redundant in itself, so who cares? Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
If the names were different this would not be a discussion. If the Explorer 1 was called the Summit or something like that you would have already bought both.
To be fair, in such a scenario, the Explorer would be called the Explorer, and the Explorer II would be called “Lost in a Cave”, or “Insanely Specific Niche Watch” or “We Also Produce a Compass for Tightrope Walkers and a Pen For Kayakers”.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be fair, in such a scenario, the Explorer would be called the Explorer, and the Explorer II would be called “Lost in a Cave”, or “Insanely Specific Niche Watch” or “We Also Produce a Compass for Tightrope Walkers and a Pen For Kayakers”.
Hilarious :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Different watches. Go for it. I did and no regrets! Love them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Redundant? No way - it’s a theme!

It seems like it would really represent a genuine interest rather than just getting “one of each.”

·
Banned
309 Posts
Do it! It's easy to see they are completely different watches. I have both!

Reactions: draperfish

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Go for it. I previously owned a 114270 both the polar and black 16570 models. All great timepieces.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts