WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Been a while since I’ve been on the forums. New kids make free time harder to find. I’m in the market for an explorer ii. Looking at the newest 216570. I’ve been looking at the ones for sale and been noticing a pretty large price difference between various sellers. I’ve seen anywhere from $6800-$9000 for a full-set! Am I missing something? What gives?!

Stay safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hey all!

Been a while since I’ve been on the forums. New kids make free time harder to find. I’m in the market for an explorer ii. Looking at the newest 216570. I’ve been looking at the ones for sale and been noticing a pretty large price difference between various sellers. I’ve seen anywhere from $6800-$9000 for a full-set! Am I missing something? What gives?!

Stay safe

Couple years ago it was at $3500-$5000 but then recently it got super popular from all the youtubers and price skyrocketed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed that! I meant I’m more curious about the price range for an identical watch being sold by different sellers. There is a 216570 for sale for $6800 b&p as well as the same model selling for $9k. Seems like a big difference

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey all!

Stay safe

There's a couple of interesting recent threads here on the pricing practices during the current pandemic. Generally speaking, it looks like the bigger established sellers are still listing close to the pre-pandemic prices, but the listings stay longer, while the private sellers or smaller sellers who would like $$ quicker has discounted their watches more.

That being said, a 25% difference in pricing is certainly interesting.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If I remember correctly, there were 2 different types of lume on this watch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Likely the age as well as the reference.

Rolex margins differ from region to person.

You will likely be seeing the highest prices as brand new from grey dealers.

And cheaper ones may be from as old as 2012.

It just depends on what you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Even a few months age difference in pre owned seems to have a bearing on the price. I was hunting for one last year and the average price for a decent one (box papers, good condition etc) from a trusted seller was at least £800 more than retail. Most were more like £1500+ and for a really good condition newer (18 months or newer) a £2000 premium was common place. I saw a few up at £9000 but I’m sure they were dreaming. At the time I was looking the retail on them was £6250. They seem to all of a sudden be a hard to find watch (excluding the cv19 issues). FWIW my ad reckoned they may have been towards the end of the production run as there’s a good chance it’s going to get a refresh next year for the 50th anniversary. When I sourced mine, the ad reckoned he could get one within 6 months so perhaps that’s worth looking into although that’s another story for another day. Whatever you do, don’t start a thread about availability. It won’t end well. Best of luck sourcing your explorer

·
Registered
714 Posts
I’ve actually been noticing a lot more of them listed right at the $7k level vs $9k a month ago. I think we are already starting to see corona discounts. I just got a call from an AD yesterday that a new one is available for me there. Unfortunately I had just bought a Grand Seiko diver earlier this week and I need to cool it on the spending for at least a year. I think it’s only bound to get even cheaper in the next few months.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting all around. I was looking for at a couple recent explorer ii’s starting with WatchRecon. Saw one priced at $6800 with box and papers and dated 2018. I know some of the 5-digit models were around $7k and less so was curious at the price of the newer model. Still trying to decide what to do. I picked up an omega forgoing the Rolex a few months ago but can’t seem to get this model out of my head

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the price of oil was in negative numbers yesterday. We're only six weeks into this mess, I'd bet the price of a watch is going to continue to drop. There's still a long way to go, I'd hang tight for a while...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Was mentioned once already in this thread, but keep in mind there's likely a new Explorer II coming out for the 2021 50 year anniversary of the model - that could certainly change the pricing of the current version. Which direction, however, is yet to be seen. Likely prices will go down but if the new version is a flop prices for the current model could actually skyrocket.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Was mentioned once already in this thread, but keep in mind there's likely a new Explorer II coming out for the 2021 50 year anniversary of the model - that could certainly change the pricing of the current version. Which direction, however, is yet to be seen. Likely prices will go down but if the new version is a flop prices for the current model could actually skyrocket.
If the next Explorer looked like an apple watch and had an LED Rolex logo I would be surprised if it flopped. Explorer 16570 prices are still climbing so I would expect the 216570 to do the same within a year or so. I remember being offered a 16570 for £3000 ish about 3 years ago and my AD said it was just an OK deal so I passed. Theyre around £7000 now. Rolex prices tend to find their own levels in relation to the general watch market. Its a shame theyve become like this really. Theyre great watches but over the past few years the Rolex market hasn't changed for the better from both a customer and sellers point of view and too many of them are purchased for the wrong reasons. Just look at some of the threads on availability and "value". Second thoughts dont. They never end well and get locked. Ive always just sought out a watch that I want and bought it regardless of the future value. If lose money on it, its my own stupid fault. No point in torturing myself over a watch that I should have bought, could have sold, can no longer get etc. Ive done ok on some, not so well on others. Ive never held off purchasing anything in anticipation of "what might be released next year". Be here now and all that. This virus business is a great example of how fragile life is. Who would have thought, a year ago that people would be told to stay indoors indefinitely due to a global pandemic. Sorry this has rambled on a bit. Im working from home and messing around on this forum. Im easily distracted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts