WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently selling off a few watches to buy another Rolex. I do like the Explorer II (40mm), GMT, and Submariners but want to see what you all think. Which is a better and why?

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Still love Flashman's murders row of watches. I would select GMT. I have the gmt and sub and flipped the Explorer Polar II. Never bonded with the silver bezel insert.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Rolex Submariner 114060.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
BLRO, Exp II, then 114060.

·
Registered
186 Posts
No wrong choice. Here are my thoughts (in order of preference - highest preference first):

Sub - Probably the most classic Rolex sports watch. Either date or no date version. I would lean towards the no date version, as this is the original Submariner and has such beautiful symmetry on the dial. If you're looking at the 40mm Explorer II, then it looks like you don't mind the 5 digit sports watches, in which case, I reckon you go for a 14060M - either 2 liner or 4 liner. Time only and no complication. As classic and simple as it gets.

GMT - I'm assuming you're after a 5 digit GMT, given you're considering a 40mm Explorer II. The GMT is another classic Rolex sports watch and my second favourite behind the Sub. I love the look of the bi-coloured bezel. GMTs are pretty pricey these days in comparison with a Sub or Explorer II. Probably the flow on effect from the huge demand for the modern BLRO and BLNR. Perhaps go with a 16700 or 16760 which appear to be priced lower compared with the 16710 and 16750 (especially a matte dial). If you want a Coke bezel, then you're limited to 16760 or 16710. These are also beautiful watches and it's cool having the GMT complication. The GMT is a thinner watch than the Sub.

Explorer II - I prefer the Polar (white dial) over the black dial. In terms of value for money, I think this watch is fantastic bang for your buck. Rolex don't make many white dialled sports watches and I think this is the best looking one out of all of them with that pop of red with the 24 hour hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the sound knowledge... I have owned a sub in the past but it was stolen from my watch guys shop during service (soooo pissed!) and have never tried on a GMT. I have been looking around and have found a few good deals on Pepsi’s with no box or papers but I don’t mind. I tried on the 42mm Explorer 2 polar and it just left odd on the wrist. Like most collectors my budget fluctuates but I want to keep the purchase under $8k. I will look around to see if any shops near me have a gmt to try on. After months of searching I think I will pick two of the three...a sub and I’m not sure yet!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the sound knowledge... I have owned a sub in the past but it was stolen from my watch guys shop during service (soooo pissed!) and have never tried on a GMT. I have been looking around and have found a few good deals on Pepsi’s with no box or papers but I don’t mind. I tried on the 42mm Explorer 2 polar and it just left odd on the wrist. Like most collectors my budget fluctuates but I want to keep the purchase under $8k. I will look around to see if any shops near me have a gmt to try on. After months of searching I think I will pick two of the three...a sub and I’m not sure yet!

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can easily find a 40mm Explorer II for under $8K. It will be tougher to find a GMT at $8K, but it's possible.

Sorry to hear your old Sub got stolen when you put it in for service. That's really terrible.

Best of luck with the hunt. Please let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have own the GMT II and the sub and much preferred the GMT II. The ability to instantly tell three timezones and having a fourth or fifth with a simple dial rotation is wonderful for my type of work. The Explorer II never did it for me and the single GMT function seems handicapped compared to the GMT. In addition, the GMT's value will increase more overtime.

·
Registered
905 Posts
First I bought a GMT 2 coke in 90's. After that I bought an Explorer 2 in 2010's. Just I was going for the submariner but at the last moment I fell in love with GMT 2 Batman and bought another GMT. If I can arrange a budget I am planning to buy the Submariner no date this year.

·
Premium Member
29,349 Posts
I'm currently selling off a few watches to buy another Rolex. I do like the Explorer II (40mm), GMT, and Submariners but want to see what you all think. Which is a better and why?
<snip>
.. I have owned a sub in the past but it was stolen from my watch guys shop during service …
::
.. GMT. I have been looking around and have found a few good deals on Pepsi’s ..
I tried on the 42mm Explorer 2 polar and it just left odd on the wrist...
I think I will pick two of the three...a sub and I’m not sure yet!
Thanks for clarifying. So the phrase "buy another Rolex" is actually to replace what was stolen. I see there's no need for anyone to list the pros and cons as it looks like your mind is made up going by your second post here, i.e. the Sub and a GMT because the Explorer II felt odd to you.

Asking the forum will only make you more confused because someone who owns an explorer II will tell you how great it is and it's the best watch since watches were made. In order not to prolong the thread, my list of pros and cons would be the same as @ILuvSubs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes on two fronts I want to replace the sub, but I do own a Rolex Yacht Master Rolesium 40mm and a 1974 Rolex Date 35mm 1570. Both of these watches are definitely more dress watches rather than everyday watches, although the Yacht Master does get a lot of wear. Once again I appreciate the feedback!

Cheers!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would go GMT simply for a few reasons. The complication is great and truly useful. The rotating bezel helps you instantly track another time zone you’re currently not in, much like a 2893’s jumping 24hr hand would but you retain the true “traveller’s GMT” functionality. Finally, you’ll be different than every other “I’m an executive!” Or, “I just got my first big paycheck!” Tosser who doesn’t know anything about watches but bought and is currently wearing the same Sub you would be if you got it.

I get the Sub is a great watch, moreso the no date... that being said the GMT has a bit more personality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update...after doing the laborious task of finding the “right” watch I went for a newer (2008) submariner than the one got stolen. No holes, SEL, with rehaut engraving. I made the decision for two reasons. 1st off I have purchased a ton of watches to fill a void and nothing was quite right and 2nd after trying on the Explorer 2 40mm it didn’t quite speak to me the way my sub always did. I do think there is a GMT in my future but personally I am happy I sold off the watches to rebuy a sub.

Cheers from Texas!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts