WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with deciding which one to get! I am planning to acquire one of these two awesome watches, Explorer Ref 214270 or Submariner Ref 114060, in about 4 months. I like both!!!

My one criteria is that the watch needs to be an all rounder. I currently have an Oyster Perpetual 39 - White Dial and love it!.

PS: Rumor has it that both of these timepieces will have new versions at Baselworld 2020. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Need help with deciding which one to get! I am planning to acquire one of these two awesome watches, Explorer Ref 214270 or Submariner Ref 114060, in about 4 months. I like both!!!

My one criteria is that the watch needs to be an all rounder. I currently have an Oyster Perpetual 39 - White Dial and love it!.

PS: Rumor has it that both of these timepieces will have new versions at Baselworld 2020. What do you think?
Short answer: you already have on OP 39, which shares the same case with the Explorer, so by buying this one, you will be shelling a lot of money for not too much difference. The Sub, on the other hand, is a totally different beast, it has nothing in common in your OP.

P.S.: rumors by definition are not facts, I definitely wouldn't base my choices on rumors

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Easiest answer today. The Sub is the iconic timepiece. Of course, there are those who will accuse me of bias. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, since you have a _white dial_ OP either Exp I or Sub will be a great addition to your collection. Exp I will be more of the same feel with a few upgrades, while Sub will be a totally different watch in terms of feel, looks, wrist presence, etc...

I can see a case for either choice, but I'd go with Sub first. More range, totally different feel.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have a Ceramic Sub Date so it's not quite the same as a no date Sub but I would echo those saying go with it. If you do a lot of water sports it can only be the logical option.

The OP is too similar to Explorer imo. Only the hands and the heritage makes it slightly different.

Reactions: K2PK

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful shot of an awesome watch! Couldn't miss the sparkle at 9 o'clock on the bezel.

·
Premium Member
23,258 Posts
Buy a Submariner. Who cares about it being updated in a few months' time. You will go onto the wait list and it will be well into 2021 by the time your watch gets allocated to you. Heck, you might even catch the 2021 update. ;-)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Buy a Submariner. Who cares about it being updated in a few months' time. You will go onto the wait list and it will be well into 2021 by the time your watch gets allocated to you. Heck, you might even catch the 2021 update. ;-)
Right? Updates, who cares? Subs from 10-15-20+ years ago are still great. Wear and enjoy.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would also say get the Sub, just to have a completely different category of watch. That said, those who say that the Explorer and the OP, especially the white dial, are almost identical are wrong. Maybe they haven’t actually owned both. These are two different watches with only the case being the same. The dial and bezel are completely different and make for a completely different feel on the wrist.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
You are choosing between the best two Rolex models in my view, I do not think you can go wrong. If you want to own any diver, I’d go with the Submariner. If not, go with the Explorer for the most versatile non-dive watch.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Another vote for the sub. If you didn’t already have the OP, I’d vote for the Explorer. But the sub adds a bit more variety.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sell your OP and buy both the Explorer and Sub. The Explorer really is a better all around in my opinion than the OP and the Sub is hands down better than both. But if you keep the OP get the Sub. I have both the Explorer and SubDate (sold my Sub) so I am a little biased.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts