WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone stop their quartz watches to save battery power by pulling out the crown whilst they are not wearing it?

I don't but might start doing it. I know batteries don't cost a lot to replace but I have several watches so my quartz just sit there consuming power when not being worn.

If you have several watches and unlikely to wear that quartz for a while then i guess it might not be an issue having to set the time on it when you do next wear it.

Just curious to see if anyone does this?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
No. It may save power, but in a long run a battery can leak and by having it run you at least know that it has a charge.
Also, the whole point of quartz is to pick it up and go, not set time\date
Finally, having crown pulled out can allow moisture in if in humid environment

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don't think it stops anything, it only decouples the gears. The thing still counts and ticks. Just uses less power.

·
Premium Member
63,990 Posts
No. One of the big advantages of quartz is that it's a "grab and go" technology and I understand that the power saving is fairly small. Well, not so-much the power saving as the extension of battery life.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Most quartz watches are sold with the crown pulled out so unless you live in the Amazon I doubt there is much risk regarding humidity. I do it with some of mine that I rarely wear. But really I should just sell them.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. One of the big advantages of quartz is that it's a "grab and go" technology and I understand that the power saving is fairly small. Well, not so-much the power saving as the extension of battery life.
I saw on a particular Smiths watch it was around 70% power saving. This is what prompted me to post this thread.

·
Registered
485 Posts
No, not worth doing. As EnderW mentioned, the batteries have a risk of leaking over time. Some even recommend changing the battery every two years regardless of it still having a charge rather than just waiting till it is flat, just to avoid the risk of it leaking and damaging the movement.

·
Premium Member
63,990 Posts
I saw on a particular Smiths watch it was around 70% power saving. This is what prompted me to post this thread.
Dunno then, I thought it was a lot less than that. I suppose the watch might have had some wizz bang power saving gadget in it. I've a feeling that Smiths are based in Sheffield so you could always email Eddie (the owner) and ask him.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
No. Several reasons:

- There is hardly any wear on the gears in a quartz movement so no harm in letting a watch run
- Battery replacement is cheap as chips (even with replacement seals/WR test, etc)
- If I haven't grabbed it and gone during the lifetime of the battery, it's time to move it on/bin it

·
Registered
745 Posts
Let your watch run. Stopping and starting it all the time will do more harm than good, not to mention the hassle involved.

Batteries are cheap. Learn how to change them yourself and you will save money and protect your watch from being scratched by incompetents.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dunno then, I thought it was a lot less than that. I suppose the watch might have had some wizz bang power saving gadget in it. I've a feeling that Smiths are based in Sheffield so you could always email Eddie (the owner) and ask him.
It was the prs-27 watch. I read it here under the crown position section:

http://www.timefactors.com/smiths.htm

However, the thought of a leaking battery in one of my watches from having it in so long doesn't appeal!

·
Registered
553 Posts
On the precisionist, I put it into chrono mode to save battery. It stops the sweeping seconds hand. Pick it up and go, hit the chrono toggle and it gets back to business. Now THAT has to save battery. I don't on my other quartz watches.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
On the precisionist, I put it into chrono mode to save battery. It stops the sweeping seconds hand. Pick it up and go, hit the chrono toggle and it gets back to business. Now THAT has to save battery. I don't on my other quartz watches.
Buy a second one, change both batteries, and run the experiment. I'd be happy to read about it.

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Of course, the other option is solar. I also wouldn't be surprised to see more watches with rechargeable batteries using the wireless charging tech, assuming it's small (thin, really) enough. There will be pushback on that, tho; believe it's Breitling that has a rechargeable battery, lasts 2 months...but there were still comments like "I don't want to have to charge ANOTHER device." Puh-lease.....

But realistically, IMO button cell batteries should largely just disappear from any decent watch, the sooner the better. Heck, I picked up 3 micro-flashlights...the kind that you can clip onto a key ring. They have a USB port and a rechargeable battery. And didn't cost much. If you can make it practical on something like *that*...you can do it on anything. The issue, of course, is you'd have to redesign at least part of the movement, and suddenly, things ain't trivial....

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Of course, the other option is solar. I also wouldn't be surprised to see more watches with rechargeable batteries using the wireless charging tech, assuming it's small (thin, really) enough. There will be pushback on that, tho; believe it's Breitling that has a rechargeable battery, lasts 2 months...but there were still comments like "I don't want to have to charge ANOTHER device." Puh-lease.....

But realistically, IMO button cell batteries should largely just disappear from any decent watch, the sooner the better. Heck, I picked up 3 micro-flashlights...the kind that you can clip onto a key ring. They have a USB port and a rechargeable battery. And didn't cost much. If you can make it practical on something like *that*...you can do it on anything. The issue, of course, is you'd have to redesign at least part of the movement, and suddenly, things ain't trivial....
I mostly agree with you, but I have one caveat: If I were a more serious diver, I think I'd be really attracted to the notion of a battery-operated dive watch. Solar runs forever, even when the gaskets are beef jerky. Automatic will keep going even if it tuns an hour fast a day. But a disposable battery-powered watch with an end-of-life indicator is a dumb-looking bracelet once the battery dies and you HAVE TO have it seen to.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
IMO: The crown and related components are the weakest link in a watch - best to not mess with unless needed

1 - 20 of 44 Posts