WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You like 'em wild, you like 'em tame.
And not just for the purpose of being appropriately decked out for different occasions.

Whether Bauhau minimalist or Orient Revolver Diver,
You like them because they APPEAL to you visually, conceptually, etc.

What do they - your most extreme opposite styes of watches - have in common?

What does that say about your sense of aesthetics?

And how does it apply in other areas of life - from the mundane (shoes, clothes, hi-fi, pens, etc) to the more abstract (ideas, art, music, space, etc)?

·
Premium Member
71,277 Posts
In virtually everything else I'm the archetypal stick in the mud but I love watches that should only be worn with a tux as much as 1000M divers. No idea why though.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I'm game...

Here are two of mine that are polar opposites. Hamilton Intra Matic and Invicta Russian Diver. What do they have in common and tell about my tastes?

Simple dials. No extravagant complications. Just tell me the time damn it...

Reactions: Chronopolis

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I buy the watches that will go best with different occasions, outfits, etc. I buy mine to wear them, but as I've gotten older, I found I prefer to be much more classic in the way I dress. I used to wear a lot of loud, bright colors, and while I still like them, I tend to include them more subtley. Like socks, or splashes of color in a tie, etc. My watches seem to be all over, however, because I don't like redundancy. I'm working to have a diverse selection of watches, which are also versatile. I want watches that just go with most of the stuff I wear, but can add interest. I want to be able to wear them all anytime, not just "when I wear green" or something. To the point, I like watches like I like girls: I don't have a preference, but I know what looks good to me and what will look good on me haha! Here's some pics (of my watches):

The loudest and most detailed: IMG_9734.JPG The most "boring": IMG_2150.JPG The watch that just speaks to me - I love green, I love the Arabic numbers, the detail, the inner bezel, the value: IMG_1652.JPG And I'm not afraid of gold, but I found there may be "too much gold" for me: IMG_1189.JPG And still, divers are probably my preference, but it's good to have variation: IMG_0591.JPG

While I like color and some interest, I would probably only go with a bright color in a dressy diver to tone it down (something like an Orange Mako or Helson SD), but I could just never wear a Monster.

Reactions: Chronopolis

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
What it says about my sense of aesthetics? I like watches. I like aesthetics, too.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I have fairly eclectic tastes. I love a lot of the high-end enamel dials like in VC's Metries d'Art (not that I can afford them) to vintage Panerai. Right now I have a 47mm vintage Panerai homage I love and will the next day were a tiny watch.

I think this comes out in my taste in cars and taste in music as well. I love lowered imports, vintage British cars (like the Spitfire in my garage), muscle cars, rat rods, etc. My Pandora on shuffle will jump from Wu Tang Clan to Rancid to John Coultrane to Split Lip Rayfield to Dropkick Murphys.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This is a complicated multi-prong question; I’ll assume the question is a reflection of the OP.:)

What do my watch opposites have in common? There all set to my wrist size, tell time, and appease the aesthetic nature of my psyche.

What do my watches say about my sense of aesthetics? Well, if I had to pick out one thing, I’d say I prefer symmetry/balance in dial design, so I guess my sense of aesthetics demands order.

Application in other areas of life? Order in some aspects of life, but not others, so I guess we’re all pretty complicated people brought together by little time pieces we wear on our wrists.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts