WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Two of my favorite entry level Seikos. You've already ordered the mechanical, so I'm not sure if this advice will help you. I think it'll simply depend on whether he likes mechanical or quartz movements. If he gets excited about watches, he'll probably prefer the mechanical. If he is a novice, he'll probably prefer the (better looking) premier moon phase. Personally, I want both. I like my Ananta more than that SPB001, so I probably won't go back and buy one, but I still have room in my collection for the premier moon phase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sounds like a good choice. That one is right on the border of being dress and casual at the same time. Change the strap to a leather and you can dress it up even more so.
Thank you. The SPB001 is coming on next Tues. I have very high expectation on the watch but I still have part of my mind on the SRX001P1.
I guess I should pick up the one that fits my friend more, not the one I like more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thumbs up on the citizen! I recently got the o2l model ( leather instead of the titanium band) and was VERY IMPRESSED. It looks much more expensive then it is and is of excellent quality. Setting the time and etc. is a bit of a hassle though ( very complex). but once you read the instruction booklet it wont be a problem.

I like both of the watches you choose but if i had to choose i would pick the
SRX001P strictly aesthetically .
Alas, I really like SRX001P1 too. That's why I am planning to order the SRX004 which is the brown leather strap version for myself later.
One thing bothers me a lot is that I wanna pick the almost right one for my friend, not a beloved one for myself.
I dunno I am quite confused on that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think it's totally acceptable for a female to wear a man's watch. If it appears a little big that's OK, but if it's HUGE then it may be uncomfortable and look a bit odd. Worth a try at least. :)
I have seen some of Seiko Premier kinetic watches in the local AD. I feel that they're not that huge for females.
I love SRX001P1 a lot. I hope that I could order the leather strap version for myself soon. :]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Out of all the watches I owned no watch has received more complements than my SPB001 that I recently sold. Awesome watch, just too shiny for my liking.

View attachment 520736
Yes, that's the most common comment that I learned from SPB001 reviews.
Why do you think that it's too shiny? Is the bracelet just regular steel? Is it because the design of the bracelet? Do you prefer the texture of titanium?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
The Premier Auto you chose is a beautiful watch; I've been very pleased with mine. It's yet another one of those Seiko models where the quality is almost too good for the price. A solid choice, comparable to watches costing far more, and not a watch you'll see very often. Lovely dial, excellent attention to detail, even under a loupe it's spectacular.
Thank you for your comment.
I do have very high expectation and confidence on the watch. We will see by the next Tuesday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you do indeed go for the SPB001, you should check out Overstock.com. You can sign up for email and get an additional 10% off plus no tax and free (or $1) shipping. I bought one for myself through overstock and it came in original box, plastic stickers, tags and get this--a stamped warranty card (I cant guarantee you will get one though). It runs +1 sec fast in the month i've owned it.

As for the moon phase kinetic. I bought one from Macys last year during the friends and family 25% off sale, paid something like 800 for it but ended up returning it. The overall fit wasnt great (on the leather strap) and the difficulty in winding the kinetic movement made it too much of a hassle--unless of course you like winding a crown for 15 minutes straight to gain a day of power!
Thank you. I checked overstock.com. Are they Canadian online seller? They have a higher price than Ashford even they have 10%off and free shipping.
I am not sure if I will be charged with the local tax and custom fee once I receive the package. We will see.

And for the SRX001P1, I really like it myself. I would like to order the brown leather strap version later. Is it that bad? I am kinda released that I didn't order that for my friend. But it raises my concerns about my potential order.

Do you think that it's a typical problem of SRX001P1? I heard from another friend that Seiko Japan has dismissed the development of kinetic movement. This is another reason that I don't want to push my friend to take any risk of a watch. It's very important for him to access accurate time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Two of my favorite entry level Seikos. You've already ordered the mechanical, so I'm not sure if this advice will help you. I think it'll simply depend on whether he likes mechanical or quartz movements. If he gets excited about watches, he'll probably prefer the mechanical. If he is a novice, he'll probably prefer the (better looking) premier moon phase. Personally, I want both. I like my Ananta more than that SPB001, so I probably won't go back and buy one, but I still have room in my collection for the premier moon phase.
Thank you. I like Ananta Series too, especially SRN003 and SPS011! But the price is kinda high for me to make a purchase as a gift. I wish I can afford it and buy him those ones!

Honestly, I still couldn't say a 100% NO to SRX001P1. I love it. The two things bother me are,

[1] I don't know if the dial of SRX001P1 is too busy for guys.
[2] I have concerns regarding the long-term performance of kinetic movement.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
A few thoughts on the watches. I personally really like the bracelet on the premier automatic. It is really blingy and you're going to have to take care not to bang it around on things, but that aside, I just think it looks interesting and new.

I wouldn't worry too much about the kinetic's longevity. Most of the problems were associated with the old capacitor based models, which have since been replaced with conventional batteries.

Also, I'm never super sure why people complain about winding the direct drive seikos. Sure it's annoying to sit there for 30 minutes and wind, but you end up with a month in power reserve. I wish I could wind my Ananta for a month, even if it took half an hour. I actually kind of enjoy winding my watch anyway. Just another way to interact with the new toy.

You should probably have a look at the Oris Artelier Complication watches. They run really small, usually 38mm, so they'll work fine for a girl. They're an automatic watch with great dial work and complications you like. If you look hard and are patient, you can find a good condition used one for $600. Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product
They're not bad new either. You can find them for $1100 or so new if you get a good deal. I really prefer automatics just because I think they're more interactive and interesting, although I do love that Premier Moon Phase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A few thoughts on the watches. I personally really like the bracelet on the premier automatic. It is really blingy and you're going to have to take care not to bang it around on things, but that aside, I just think it looks interesting and new.

I wouldn't worry too much about the kinetic's longevity. Most of the problems were associated with the old capacitor based models, which have since been replaced with conventional batteries.

Also, I'm never super sure why people complain about winding the direct drive seikos. Sure it's annoying to sit there for 30 minutes and wind, but you end up with a month in power reserve. I wish I could wind my Ananta for a month, even if it took half an hour. I actually kind of enjoy winding my watch anyway. Just another way to interact with the new toy.

You should probably have a look at the Oris Artelier Complication watches. They run really small, usually 38mm, so they'll work fine for a girl. They're an automatic watch with great dial work and complications you like. If you look hard and are patient, you can find a good condition used one for $600. View attachment 521562 They're not bad new either. You can find them for $1100 or so new if you get a good deal. I really prefer automatics just because I think they're more interactive and interesting, although I do love that Premier Moon Phase.
wow this is a really beautiful watch too! And the moon phase!
i searched a brand new one at Jomashop for US$1199.00. It looks more elegant I should say, a totally different touch from SPB001. But both of them look superb to me in terms of what they stand for.

i did hear some rumors that Swiss made is always better than Japan made. Is this Oris one much better than Seiko SPB001?

·
Banned
2,545 Posts
Hello DewyDewy,

I recommend SRX001P1 for its very elegant look and also the moonphase.

However, other than those two models you are thinking of, I could highly recommend a GMT (Dual time zone) model. He is often and very fast changing time zones. He can leave the second time zone hand on the home time zone, then change the current time, thus knowing the time at home continuously.

Here are some options:

SBGE009 - Grand Seiko GMT Spring Drive: The brutal accuracy is -/+ 1 sec a month! 39 mm case size. I am about to get one of this model. But its price is very high; around $5500 and above.

SBDB001 - Diver Spring Drive GMT: Same incredible accuracy, 45 mm case size. A lot cheaper at $4500 and above.

SEIKO #SUN010 or SEIKO #SUN007, both Pilot GMT models: Seiko GMT Pilot's Watches, SUN010, SUN007

SBGM Series: Grand Seiko GMT Automatic « Yeoman's Watch Review Some reviews and fotos on this link.

I generally pointed high priced but technologically advanced Seiko models. I am sure he will be very happy to have these watches.

Good luck with your choice, and I hope the info helps.

Capt. Serdal

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Swiss is generally much lower quality than Japanese at any given price point. If you have a $1000 Japanese automatic, you should expect to pay $5000 for an equivalent in the Swiss world. Also, the Japanese can actually make watches, where the Swiss usually just buy the movements (the thing that makes the watch work) from another company and drop it into the case. The Seiko automatic talked about here, the SPB001, is far superior to the Oris Artelier in almost any objective criterion. For instance, it has a MUCH longer power reserve (50 hours versus 38), MANY more jewels (29 versus 17), and is an in-house movement instead of outsourced. Now, don't get me wrong, I do actually like Oris' designs and a lot of higher up Swiss brands that actually know how to make a watch like Zenith and JLC. But unless you've got at least $4000 to spend, the Swiss just aren't even going to compete. Seiko almost unilaterally put the entire Swiss watch industry out of business a few decades ago.

wow this is a really beautiful watch too! And the moon phase!
i searched a brand new one at Jomashop for US$1199.00. It looks more elegant I should say, a totally different touch from SPB001. But both of them look superb to me in terms of what they stand for.

i did hear some rumors that Swiss made is always better than Japan made. Is this Oris one much better than Seiko SPB001?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks to this thread the SPB001 has really sparked my interest. :-!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.