• EZM 1.1-Deal With The Steel

Votes: 7 38.9%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched, and I’m sure the answer is already on here somewhere, but have you ever tried searching the forum?!??

I’m entertaining the idea of obtaining an EZM 1 or 1.1. I love titanium, but hate the Lemania 5100. Conversely, I love the SZ01 movement, but really don’t prefer steel to titanium.

I have my reasons.

Should I Deal with the Steel or Fly with the Ti? Honestly, the issue is less about the metal and more about the movement, but I couldn’t think of anything that rhymed with Lemania and SZ01. So have I already answered my own question, and start looking for the 1.1?

For the record, “Get both” is funny. Every. Single. Time. But it’s not the answer I’m looking for...

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I added a poll for the guys who don't cruise the forum on Tapatalk.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would go with the 1.1. The 1 is the original of course and is rarer and more collectible, but the 1.1 is a modern watch made to better standards and is hands down the easy pick for me if you are wanting to actually wear this as a tool watch. If on the other hand you are building a "collection" and that's your primary goal (collecting, vs. wearing), then the 1 is the winner.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,223 Posts
On my 6.5" wrist the EZM1 is one of the best fitting and feeling watches I own...despite its height it literally disappears. I've had 5 over the years and still have 2 (ZUZ & LE #61) that will never leave my collection. One day I'll add 2 more (ZTZ & H3), which will complete my Sinn collection, that is unless a Dark Star finds its way to me...I know, it's a sickness.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Love them both. I have the 1.1, and I think it’s proportions are close to perfect for my wrist. That said, every once in a while I think about flipping it for the original.

Good luck with your search and decision!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a 1.1, and I’m casting my vote for it. I have no experience with the original, but my EZM 13 was similarly proportioned and I thought it wore awkwardly unless it was on a bracelet. The 1 might not feel that way since it’s made of titanium, though the heftier 1.1 is surprisingly comfortable, much more than my ETA Black Bay was or my EZM 13.

The big selling point for me is the tegimented steel. That is seriously a game changer. I don’t ever want a watch without a similar feature— the thing looks flawless as the day I bought it. I never think twice about when and where I have it on. Also, from what I can gather the AR on the newer Sinn crystals is for more durable than what Sinn was doing earlier.

Oh, and the SZ01 has a stop minute register! Very cool, very easy to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was debating the same thing.... then I got a Damasko DC80. I think it's a more solid feeling watch than the Sinn. I'm a Sinn guy through and through but this one particular function/complication is done better by Damasko in my opinion. At a better price point to boot. Love the feel of the pushers and the bezel.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was debating the same thing.... then I got a Damasko DC80. I think it's a more solid feeling watch than the Sinn. I'm a Sinn guy through and through but this one particular function/complication is done better by Damasko in my opinion. At a better price point to boot. Love the feel of the pushers and the bezel.
I am just like you in this; I got an EZM10Testaf but I wanted a cleaner looking watch. So I got the DC82 and even with the silicon upgrades I got, it's more affordable than the EZM10 (or even the 103Ti Diapal).

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the record, the Damasko DC 80 has crept back into consideration as a left-handed version. This time however, I won’t bother with the sharp heavy bracelet that scratches itself and doesn’t fit perfectly without a gap in the clasp. Plus, removing the strap will be easier for cleaning and drying more frequently. My faith in the ice-hardened steel’s ability to ward off corrosion was shaken with an admittedly very small number of instances of the cases showing rust. Mostly these were early examples, and the odds of a new Damasko developing corrosion in my environment are minuscule when all factors are considered.
For the record, on my Sinn EZM 10 the clasp on the bracelet broke twice at two different rivets. When it happened the second time, I closely examined the rivet and discovered signs of corrosion. It must not have been titanium like the links it held together. But the biggest surprise was that the rivet was HOLLOW! I wouldn’t expect a hollow rivet that corroded to be used at a stress-point like that. Still, it’s the closest I have come to having a perfect watch. And when I get another bracelet, I’ll be following the distributor’s advice to clean and dry the bracelet frequently, despite what a PITA that will be.
I checked on the silicium escapement wheel upgrade for a Damasko DC XX: not a possibility at the moment. The company that cuts the wheel/gear has been affected by the COVID pandemic, and is not able to provide Damasko with the part.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry this reply is almost a month late, but I figured I throwninbmy two cents. I was in your position almost two years ago. Like the idiot I am, I bought both.

TL;DR, pick by the size.

If you love 42ish mm on your wrist go with the 1.1. If you usually find 42 to be too large go with the 1. Yes, the 1.1 is 43mm, but I'm saying 42 because I find that the perfect unassuming size for my wrist and still found the 1 small for my tastes.

I wanted to love the 1. It's the original, it's titanium, and it has the Lemania (I already had 2 other 7750s or derivatives) but in the end I sold it because the 1.1 just fit better.

Also, the end links on the 1 are horrible, if you like bracelets I think you'll be much happier with the 1.1.

Happy hunting.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry this reply is almost a month late, but I figured I throwninbmy two cents. I was in your position almost two years ago. Like the idiot I am, I bought both.

TL;DR, pick by the size.

If you love 42ish mm on your wrist go with the 1.1. If you usually find 42 to be too large go with the 1. Yes, the 1.1 is 43mm, but I'm saying 42 because I find that the perfect unassuming size for my wrist and still found the 1 small for my tastes.

I wanted to love the 1. It's the original, it's titanium, and it has the Lemania (I already had 2 other 7750s or derivatives) but in the end I sold it because the 1.1 just fit better.

Also, the end links on the 1 are horrible, if you like bracelets I think you'll be much happier with the 1.1.

Happy hunting.
Funny you should revive this thread. I just got a shipment today. I’ll share it tomorrow when I can get some natural light on it.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Oh... let's see what TE got!?

BTW, just ended the one week rotation of the SINN EZM 1.1. so here are my thoughts.

It is heavy with the bracelet, but you do get used to it especially if you keep the fit snug. A loose fit on the wrist allows the watch's bulk to "slosh" around on the wrist. I am in short sleeve weather now so cannot say if it hangs on the shirt sleeve. Do I wish it was made of titanium? Yes I do. I do not consider this a "light weight" watch in any sense of the word.

The lack of running seconds display of any type is not to my liking. So I kept the chronograph feature running all the time (which satisfies that personal nit) and the watch kept perfect time over the 7 days of wear... it had lost 1.43 seconds per day on average. Which places this watch in the top 10 most accurate in my fairly vast collection. (note that two in the top 10 have quartz movements, there are only 5 Sinn's in that rarefied air, the rest being Omegas a Certina and a Bulova). (so you want to know which other Sinn's?: 903 Be, 158 Bundeswehr the new 144 ST S Jubillee (not broken in yet) and the 103 St Sa A G)

The red day display is problematic to see for me in low light conditions. But then, I am red color challenged. The lume is excellent and maintains brightness throughout the entire evening which is all that one can ask for. I also like the lumed tip of the large chrono seconds hand. And let's be real... who does not love the airplane tipped elapsed seconds counter? Am I right? Sheesh...

I like the thumb position start and stop of the chrono at 8. Very natural for me.

The fit was fine on my 7 3/4" wrist which speaks to the lugs and bracelet.

The omni-directional bezel is perfect for most timing tasks... for me that is usually setting grill / cooking duration times.

The automatic winder worked super for me with my activity and in fact it is still humming after 24 hours off the wrist...

The EZM 1.1 is now at the back of the queue as far as the rotation is concerned, but I look forward to its reappearance upon the wrist. What more can you ask for anyway?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...and here it is! I mean...
there it is! (Page 553, Post #11,048)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts