WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had both the Sinn EZM1 and the Seal, and if so, can you give your opinions? Pros/Cons?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
It's no secret to anyone who knows me or has read my posts, that I'm huge fan of the SEAL and yet if forced to chose between the two, I'd take the EZM1. Not only is it incredibly rare, but it uses the much-loved and now discontinued Lemania 5100 chrono movement on one of the cleanest dials this side of, well, a SEAL (gotta love the red font in the date window...).

The above notwithstanding, how exactly do you intend to use the watch? In terms of out-and-out toughness, the SEAL is gonna take this fight, but if you're looking for more all-around piece, the EZM1, by virtue of its chronograph, lower wrist profile, and lighter weight is a more versatile watch.

I say, if you've got a bead on an EZM1 for sale, and the price is right, jump on it.

Regards,
Adam

PS - Otherwise, get the SEAL ;-)

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I have owned both and that is a tough comparison. I did not own them at the same time so have no pictures of them together, but there is a huge size and weight difference between them. I still own the EZM-1 and it is a classic military watch which the last time I saw for sale is approaching $3000 on the used market. It is light tough and has a big cool factor.

I like to wear it on a shark strap with a Sinn deployment buckle.

The SEAL probably weighs twice as much if it is stainless and still must weigh a fair bit more even in Titanium.

The SEAL just wasn't for me so when I got a chance I made a trade for a Kobold Phantom which might be a better one to compare to the EZM-1. Actually I think my Endurance II is a little better comparison since they are closer in size and look, except for the reverse side operator buttons on the EZM-1 and dial layout.

Anyway I guess what I am trying to say is that the two you are asking about are very different physically and in intended use, so it's a little hard to say.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually own a EZM-1 now, but I'm very drawn to the Kobold line, yet have never owned one. The faces are very similar between the two models mentioned, and that is what I like best about them. My only concern with the Sinn is the fact that it has become quite a rare piece, and with the movement being discontinued, future repair if ever needed worries me a bit.

I think I'll look to find a used SS Seal if possible and have the best of both worlds!

Can anyone recommend where the best place to hunt one down would be?

Thanks for the info so far fellas, it is much appreciated.

Tb

It's no secret to anyone who knows me or has read my posts, that I'm huge fan of the SEAL and yet if forced to chose between the two, I'd take the EZM1. Not only is it incredibly rare, but it uses the much-loved and now discontinued Lemania 5100 chrono movement on one of the cleanest dials this side of, well, a SEAL (gotta love the red font in the date window...).

The above notwithstanding, how exactly do you intend to use the watch? In terms of out-and-out toughness, the SEAL is gonna take this fight, but if you're looking for more all-around piece, the EZM1, by virtue of its chronograph, lower wrist profile, and lighter weight is a more versatile watch.

I say, if you've got a bead on an EZM1 for sale, and the price is right, jump on it.

Regards,
Adam

PS - Otherwise, get the SEAL ;-)

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yeah, if you've already got an EZM1, hold on to it with two hands and don't let go! As for used SEALs, they don't come up for sale very often, and when they do they're usually snapped up pretty quickly. The best route would probably be to place a Want To Buy post on the TZ Sales Corner and Watchnet's Trading Post, and see who bites. In my case, I just waited until one popped on on TZ, though I will confess that it took a while (I was waiting for a relatively new one on a bracelet, and with the wooden presentation box). You can also try eBay, as they do show up there once in a while. The good thing about Kobolds is that no one is building fakes -- yet -- so as long as you trust the seller, you're pretty much guaranteed to get the genuine article.

Happy hunting!

Regards,
Adam

PS - DO NOT let that EZM1 go...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Adam, and don't you worry, I'm never letting go of my EZM1 :) I picked mine up at a good price about 6 months before they stopped making them and the movement, so I got it right before all the madness over them started!

Take care...Terry

Yeah, if you've already got an EZM1, hold on to it with two hands and don't let go! As for used SEALs, they don't come up for sale very often, and when they do they're usually snapped up pretty quickly. The best route would probably be to place a Want To Buy post on the TZ Sales Corner and Watchnet's Trading Post, and see who bites. In my case, I just waited until one popped on on TZ, though I will confess that it took a while (I was waiting for a relatively new one on a bracelet, and with the wooden presentation box). You can also try eBay, as they do show up there once in a while. The good thing about Kobolds is that no one is building fakes -- yet -- so as long as you trust the seller, you're pretty much guaranteed to get the genuine article.

Happy hunting!

Regards,
Adam

PS - DO NOT let that EZM1 go...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts