WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks, have done this on mine, waiting for it to dry. Relatively easy on the left side, (the bar down the middle is relatively flexible and the rubber is moulded around it. Not sure if it is injection moulded in place or inserted). It’s near impossible for the two bumpers on the Chrono (CAC) for the crown side due to the space, so left that side alone.

Edit: impressed, the home made bumper is pretty hard, but still retains enough of a rubbery consistency for shock protection, although it’s got a smooth edge I reckon you could get a better shape if you left it to cure a bit and then used a craft knife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well done dude, I was literally thinking about getting some Sugru and using that to mould in the rubber area of my Formula 1 as I have the same issue that everyone else is complaining about. I searched online and saw that Tag wont sell the rubbers separately then I stumbled on this thread and read your post and was like Aha! Thank goodness, now I know the Sugru idea actually works! :)

Here to revive an old thread as this is still heavily viewed, was top of the list on google when I was wondering the same thing
I HAVE A CHEAP FIX!! Thought id share.
Some might call it wrong to tinker with a tag heuer like this but I got a crazy cheap, quality, modern tag because the rubbers were cooked which is a known issue for this model. I couldnt find any way to fix this researching online other than spending hundreds to send it back to switzerland. I spent $10, I know its not perfect but im damn happy with the outcome. See pics attached, might not be something anyone can do but I had no idea what I was doing initially so give it a try.

Step 1: Buy some sugru or similar mouldable rubber glue. This stuff sets hard once moulded

Step 2: scrape out existing rubber on watch to below the steel lip on the sides as seen in my before pics below. I didnt want to scrape out all the old rubber or make it too smooth as a rough surface will assist the new rubber to stick I thought

Step 3: roll out sugru flat and cut a slice to size. Mould this over the bumper area and smooth off with a wet finger. This is tedious but must be done reasonably quickly before the rubber sets. It can be tricky to mould the rubber to within the cutout

Step 4: I realized the sugru pieces didnt stick overly well around the crown, maybe something I did wrong. I pulled them back off in one piece as seen in pic then used a quality araldite glue to make sure it will never come off.
Give it a try, I have seen a few of these watches very cheap online as the worn rubbers look terrible
View attachment 15458203
View attachment 15458211
View attachment 15458213
View attachment 15458215
View attachment 15458223

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you know of any cheap fix for the rubber sides of the older F1 series? Mine seems to have melted.

See pics:

Thanks.
Good job. (y)
hi sorry to ressurect an old thread but I just got this model watch with no rubber on it and I’m wondering if it’s still waterproof ? I don’t mind the look of the exposed metal with the rubber gone but I want to be sure it’s still waterproof without it

-Hadyn

·
Registered
784 Posts
hi sorry to ressurect an old thread but I just got this model watch with no rubber on it and I’m wondering if it’s still waterproof ? I don’t mind the look of the exposed metal with the rubber gone but I want to be sure it’s still waterproof without it

-Hadyn
The rubber is just cosmetic. THe only thing that matters is the seals for the pushers, crown, back case and crystal. Everything else is sealed up.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts