WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
281 - 300 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
My list of dislikes regarding common soviet movements;
  • Zim 2602 balance jewel housing, which you cannot oil properly without taking the assembly apart
  • Vostok 2234 reduction wheel on the dial side with no bearings and a problematic stop-second spring
  • Vostok 2414, where do I begin...round balance jewel spring that's a pain to install, mainsprings constantly failing/slipping in the barrel, second hand pinion spring (to make a challenge out of installing the second hand), and a general impression of chabuduo finish (bridges not perfectly lined with the mainplate, sometimes even no dial screws etc.)
No, I have no negative remarks on Raketa 2609.HA whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have started some 10+ years ago on WUS with F10, but haven't bought Russian watch since 2011 (except one Luch some 5-6 years ago). I still look how Vostok and Luch are doing and frequently visit F10.
OK, now a new confession. I thought I am cured by the Russian watch obsession, after taking some German pills (two Laco and two really gorgeous NOMOS watches) and some Swiss drops (Victorinox, Maurice Lacroix, etc). And it worked pretty well... But this month I bought a new Komandirskie K-02. I liked it so much, that a week later I've got a second one, EXACTLY the same, to have it as a spare in the office. What's wrong with me!?

·
Registered
Vostok Amphibia 090 - hand built
2,300 Posts
I must confess I am being drawn deeper into the Seiko rabbit hole although tonite I am wearing my Soviet Sekonda UFO as have spent all week chasing magnetic gremlins from my Soviet stuff, I even got my long long given up on Luch with the faceted glass and fitted bracelet to run perfectly as being all steel is an absolute magnet hound lol

Recently I have acquired one of my Seiko grails, a s1 Arctura which has been retrofitted with a quartz movement but is still an astonishingly cool looking piece as well as nabbing a rare 6309 and last week I hit on the very first 8V20 "dancing hands" the Seiko watch that started it all in a heavy gold tone bracelet and case...

So back to another brace of watches needing a zap or three and its nice to have a decent Soviet on the wrist that looks good, feels good to my liking lol

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
OK, now a new confession. I thought I am cured by the Russian watch obsession, after taking some German pills (two Laco and two really gorgeous NOMOS watches) and some Swiss drops (Victorinox, Maurice Lacroix, etc). And it worked pretty well... But this month I bought a new Komandirskie K-02. I liked it so much, that a week later I've got a second one, EXACTLY the same, to have it as a spare in the office. What's wrong with me!?
View attachment 16022160
Comrade sci, may I recommend a peanut butter and radium sandwich. That usually snaps me back.
My prayers go with you my friend.
(actually I have done the same thing 🤣)
So long as you are having fun who cares!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
View attachment 16022160
I'm currently bidding on a watch of which I already have one; I alwas say, ' ah I'll sell the worst' - I never do, I keep all of them

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Comrade sci, may I recommend a peanut butter and radium sandwich. That usually snaps me back.
My prayers go with you my friend.
(actually I have done the same thing 🤣)
So long as you are having fun who cares!
I may skip the sandwich part, but the butter I can try - it may help. You say "who cares"... I assume the person who cares mostly is my wife - the keeper of the family finances and the guardian of the sanity :) I constantly fail her on this.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Now that is an entirely different subject ....... 😁
One that must be strategic and handled with utmost caution!
My advice...... Make her nice dinners, Do your honey do list and buy her presents.......
How can any woman resist that? that should be worth a few Vostok's comrade, yes?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
The Comptroller of Finances in our house has no problem with me buying Russian watches; possibly because I've explained at length that Vostoks are cheap. However, I don't recall ever mentioning that not all my Russian watches are inexpensive Vostoks - oops.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
The Comptroller of Finances in our house has no problem with me buying Russian watches; possibly because I've explained at length that Vostoks are cheap. However, I don't recall ever mentioning that not all my Russian watches are inexpensive Vostoks - oops.
I hear that bud. My wife thinks all Seikos are cheap. What kind of monster would I be to tell her otherwise?!? Same goes for the Russian watches. If she asked how much they cost, I would gladly tell her, but she didn't so I'm good. I think. For now. I have been really tempted by the Raketa Big Zero reissues. . .

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think that the nicer Amphibia's with the signed 'B' crowns are horrible to hand-wind and the shiny polished crown isn't as user friendly as the big chunky SS ones with positive grip sharp edges!
I actually like the kind of not quite finished approach on the normal models and cases.
I like big crowns and I cannot lie...

Instagram: @vta_watch

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hate oversized bars placed so you cannot remove them without bending/breaking them.
Eg, 20mm bar fitted to a 18mm lug. Grrrrrr....

Same goes for bands/straps.
I turn into The Hulk :mad: when I see a Raketa (Baltika) fitted with a 18mm stap (should be 19mm).
Or a Vostok 2809 fitted with a cut down 18mm (should be 17mm). Or worse still, one that has not been cut down, but squished into 17mm making it almost impossible to remove.

Yes. I have sampled all the above first hand. :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
I must confess I am being drawn deeper into the Seiko rabbit hole although tonite I am wearing my Soviet Sekonda UFO as have spent all week chasing magnetic gremlins from my Soviet stuff, I even got my long long given up on Luch with the faceted glass and fitted bracelet to run perfectly as being all steel is an absolute magnet hound lol

Recently I have acquired one of my Seiko grails, a s1 Arctura which has been retrofitted with a quartz movement but is still an astonishingly cool looking piece as well as nabbing a rare 6309 and last week I hit on the very first 8V20 "dancing hands" the Seiko watch that started it all in a heavy gold tone bracelet and case...

So back to another brace of watches needing a zap or three and its nice to have a decent Soviet on the wrist that looks good, feels good to my liking lol
Sekonda UFO, blue dial?

·
Registered
304 Posts
So the confessions continue.....

As soon as I hit 50, I realised I can't hear crickets anymore.
You know, the chirpy summer garden insect variety.
I mean they can be right outside the kitchen window with the Mrs complaining about how loud they are..... Nothing. That particular frequency is gone!

..........and I can't hear my beloved Vostok automatics either.
I can hear all my other mechanical watches tocking away merrily if I hold them to my ear.
The Vostoks... Silence!
:mad:
When I was waiting for my first one to arrive in the post, I was weirdly looking forward to listening to it's unusual heart rate...
Nothing, might as well be holding a digital to my ear.
sigh

If you are now wondering about your own hearing, check this out

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
We must be a lot alike Atlanta, I shield my Vostoks from the rain here in Florida ;)
Don't know why .... just a habit.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
We must be a lot alike Atlanta, I shield my Vostoks from the rain here in Florida ;)
Don't know why .... just a habit.
I am planning on moving to the sunny state of Florida and was wandering if the humidity and the frequent rains (tropical climate) will force me to sell out my watches…. @jimzilla how bad is it for the watches at FL?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I typically do not have any humidity related problems to speak of just make sure storage is air conditioned.
I have a 3133 that fogs up sometimes in humid weather but other than that no problems.
Have you spent much time in Florida Odessa? It may take a little getting used to the wildlife and bugs here but I think the way the US is at the current moment you could not live in a better state.
I live in Tampa and I am a Mechanical Contractor (A/C Man) and I can tell you it is hot as hell here but I would not leave Florida It Is Beautiful here...... and in the winter it is PERFECT!.
Welcome to Florida comrade. (y)

281 - 300 of 317 Posts