WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just wish Russian manufactures gave more of a damn about finish and QC. Look at the Amphibia SE - regular old Vostoks with no changes to specification nor movements, yet they sell like hot cakes despite higher prices largely because they're made with a bit more attentiveness. By making consistently good watches, Vostok (and others) can capitalize their heritage and use it as a selling point: i.e. "Rugged and dependable since the 2nd World War. Vostok, a watch like no other."

But if quality is luck of the draw like many Russian watches, along with absurd tolerances such as -20s to +60s daily variation (the 1940s are calling); potential customers find it hard to take them seriously hence a lot of the brand's potential is squandered.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Contiuning on:

I don't like the Elektronika 1, or most LED watches for that matter. Can't read it at a glance, poor legibility in daylight, not serviceable, not as versatile functionally nor aesthetically as Quartz or LCD but a LOT more power-hungry, lacks the "soul" of a beating mechanical movement or the ingenuity of a tuning fork, and was expensive when new. It's a gimmicky device that rightfully deserves it's place in the history books and not on people's wrists, same with electric watches. Good thing the world has moved on.

Pobedas with cushion crowns are my favorite Soviet designs along with the Strela.

Most Soviet bracelets are junk. Either too fragile or too rigid and few age well. I would've defected just for better bracelets.

Soviet digital watch design was better than most. With the exception of a few 80s Casios and late 70s Seikos, Elektronikas reign supreme in the design department. The outstanding features are their use of colors and fonts.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I just wish Russian manufactures gave more of a damn about finish and QC. Look at the Amphibia SE - regular old Vostoks with no changes to specification nor movements, yet they sell like hot cakes despite higher prices largely because they're made with a bit more attentiveness. By making consistently good watches, Vostok (and others) can capitalize their heritage and use it as a selling point: i.e. "Rugged and dependable since the 2nd World War. Vostok, a watch like no other."

But if quality is luck of the draw like many Russian watches, along with absurd tolerances such as -20s to +60s daily variation (the 1940s are calling); potential customers find it hard to take them seriously hence a lot of the brand's potential is squandered.
I hear you on this. But I also wouldn't want them to take the Raketa route. The finishing looks supreme, and I will still probably buy one, but I am one of the weirdos who doesn't mind the quirks. That's a lot of dough for something that offers nothing more than personal satisfaction versus competitors in their price bracket.

A sub $3-500 Vostok that has been slightly regulated, with more attention to detail in regards to case finishing and an upgraded bracelet would be in my cart ASAP. But then again, I am one of the crazy ones. I don't think the majority of folks would drop that kind of coin on a "lowly" Vostok regardless of it's specs. But Damn. A guy can dream right?

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
...along with absurd tolerances such as -20s to +60s daily variation (the 1940s are calling); ...
I think -20s to +60s daily variation is pretty good really. Isn't that part of the joy of owning a mechanical watch, that it is not quartz accurate and requires adjustment? In fact, I think Ruhla daily tolerances of +/- 120s is pretty good!

Sekondtime

·
Registered
374 Posts
I hear you on this. But I also wouldn't want them to take the Raketa route. The finishing looks supreme, and I will still probably buy one, but I am one of the weirdos who doesn't mind the quirks. That's a lot of dough for something that offers nothing more than personal satisfaction versus competitors in their price bracket.

A sub $3-500 Vostok that has been slightly regulated, with more attention to detail in regards to case finishing and an upgraded bracelet would be in my cart ASAP. But then again, I am one of the crazy ones. I don't think the majority of folks would drop that kind of coin on a "lowly" Vostok regardless of it's specs. But Damn. A guy can dream right?

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
The Amphibian SE squared.

-Similar dimensions as 720 or Neptune 960 with slightly improved fit and finish
-Regulated movements within -10 to +25 seconds across 4 positions
->40hr power reserve
-Automatic as standard but with a manual option, quickset date, hacking
-Antimagnetic 60G minimum
-60 click bi-directional bezel (Seiko 7548 style)
-24 hour option
-$250-$400

Seems realistic and not overpriced. Like I said, the Amphibian SE has no functional improvements over a regular Amphibia, yet comparable models of the SE sell at around 1.5x the price of a classic.

Raketa really shot themselves in the foot. The $500 to $2.5k market is wildly competitive and it's going to take more than black squares and a bonkers CEO to stand out.

I think -20s to +60s daily variation is pretty good really. Isn't that part of the joy of owning a mechanical watch, that it is not quartz accurate and requires adjustment? In fact, I think Ruhla daily tolerances of +/- 120s is pretty good!

Sekondtime
Old Soviet 24xx movements were rated at -20s to +40s at room temperature. Why did they feel the need to downgrade it? Vintage watch enthusiasts can put up with watches that run a minute fast/day but probably not most watch buyers. If Vostok wants to ever charge more $ across the board, knowing that one watch can run at +60s/day and another at +1/day out of the box will out a lot of people off. So improving tolerances is something they'll have to do sooner or later.

·
Registered
955 Posts

Sekondtime
I'm perfectly fine with Vostok accuracy as it is. I never wear the same watch 2 days in a row, so I always have to set them before wearing them anyway. If it's a minute off late in the day it doesn't affect my life in any measurable way. If I want accuracy, I'll wear my solar atomic G-Shock. The very best Swiss mechanical will never be as accurate as that thing.

Of course, I'm old enough to have grown up with Timex handwinders that were probably even less accurate, so I have a different perspective on this subject.

Instagram: @vta_watch

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I reluctantly confess to buying a Russian watch with a Chinese movement.
I will admit it does run well but I miss the quirks and feel of a 3133 or 3017.
My sincerest apologizes to the watch gods I will never do it again. 😞
Watch Light Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I reluctantly confess to buying a Russian watch with a Chinese movement.
I will admit it does run well but I miss the quirks and feel of a 3133 or 3017.
My sincerest apologizes to the watch gods I will never do it again. 😞 View attachment 16046506
Sorry, yes you are right I will correct, thanks...... Japan, China all I know it is not rRssian.
Nothing to be ashamed off; here's my SinoRussian:

301 - 317 of 317 Posts