WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite common for the red tipped second hands on the seamasters to fade. can anyone tell me if Omega changes the second hand when you get it serviced? Anyone requested this before?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I second that question! Any info would be helpful, as the second hand on my 13 y/o SMP is very light orangish now...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think I recall reading that they do.

But even if its a supplementary charge I'm sure it's not much. I might almost hesitate to do it though - goodness knows "tropic" and "chocolate" dials that have faded from environmental exposure sure fetch a pretty penny, and there's only one original. If you do it's probably wise to save the original. From what I understand they changed the formulation of the paint the late '90s to help prevent the fading, though it could well be that such watches just haven't had a chance to fade yet.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
Re: I think I recall reading that they do.

But even if its a supplementary charge I'm sure it's not much. I might almost hesitate to do it though - goodness knows "tropic" and "chocolate" dials that have faded from environmental exposure sure fetch a pretty penny, and there's only one original. If you do it's probably wise to save the original. From what I understand they changed the formulation of the paint the late '90s to help prevent the fading, though it could well be that such watches just haven't had a chance to fade yet.
I agree. Always keep original parts. Never know when you might need them. Plus if you sell the watch, you can offer the original parts which help strenghen you case that you are taking care of the watch, thus fetching a higher price... probably.

Just a question, is the seamaster second hand top on the SMP meant to be Red or a little bit orange?

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
You can buy the set of hands from Otto Frei for ~ $100 usd.

The only problem is then the hands are bright orange but the dial markers are still faded...

I decided to leave my hands the way they are as it shows character.

·
Registered
555 Posts
As for the orginal question yes they will change the hands at a service atleast they did it with ny bond which i send dor service after 7 years. Ony thing is i'm sure they replaced the hands because i got lume like a new one on them but did not return the orginal hands.:think:eek:r maybe did they just paint the tip well anyway it looks great now

David

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2254 also has a faded second hand and the gentlemen that I am considering sending it to said he would swap it for free. I just need to find out if the place is legit or not, hence my post asking about it on the forum. either way it for some reason drives me nuts so i'd like the red second hand back.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
My 2254 also has a faded second hand and the gentlemen that I am considering sending it to said he would swap it for free. I just need to find out if the place is legit or not, hence my post asking about it on the forum. either way it for some reason drives me nuts so i'd like the red second hand back.
For free no strings attached...?:think: I'd be careful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts